Seeking Guidance: Transitioning from Windows 11 to Pop!_OS and Accessing Data

chickencurry

Hey everyone,

I'm switching from Windows 11 to Pop OS Linux on my laptop, due to running out of space on the SDD for the Windows 11 install. However, I have crucial data stored on my M.2 SSD within my Windows environment that I need ongoing access to post-transition. Could anyone here offer guidance on how I can smoothly transition to Pop!_OS while ensuring continued access to the data on my M.2 SSD, currently utilized by Windows 11? Any insights, personal experiences, or recommended resources or products would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

To install another OS, you will need to format the drive. This will remove all data on the disk. Best option is to backup the data to an external drive or USB stick beforehand.

You could create a separate partition and move your data there, then install Pop!_OS to the primary partition. But that is more work, error prone and will limit the space available for the OS itself.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

You should be able to mount and use the boot drive of the windows system from linux. Turn off fast startup so it doesn't lock the drive due to hibernation.

I'd really suggest making a backup of the drive if you don't have one already.

@Eigenvektor Your solution sounds pretty good. From what I understand, you are trying to say to backup my Windows 11 install onto an external SSD and then install Pop OS onto the current drive. After a bit of research, my plan is to buy a Sandisk 1TB Extreme SSD(which is larger than my current SSD), clone my Windows 11 install onto it using EaseUS Partition Manager, and then install Pop OS on my current drive like normal. That means I could access the external SSD from my computer using the Boot Menu on Startup on my Lenovo Laptop. Does that sound correct or should something else be done?

7 minutes ago, chickencurry said:

That means I could access the external SSD from my computer using the Boot Menu on Startup on my Lenovo Laptop. Does that sound correct or should something else be done?

I was more thinking about just backing up your data, not the whole OS. Then install Pop!_OS and copy back whatever data you need. Not sure Win 11 will let you boot it from an external drive, but you can try.

Alternatively, you could buy a larger M.2, clone your install onto that, than swap out the M.2 (you'd need to also buy an external enclosure for the SSD, but you could continue to use your old SSD as a backup medium afterwards)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If you are going to be buying a new drive, suggest install linux to the new drive leave your m.2 with windows on. If you don't like linux simply format drive and carry with windows on m.2. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 4:56 AM, chickencurry said:

Hey everyone,

I'm switching from Windows 11 to Pop OS Linux on my laptop, due to running out of space on the SDD for the Windows 11 install. However, I have crucial data stored on my M.2 SSD within my Windows environment that I need ongoing access to post-transition. Could anyone here offer guidance on how I can smoothly transition to Pop!_OS while ensuring continued access to the data on my M.2 SSD, currently utilized by Windows 11? Any insights, personal experiences, or recommended resources or products would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

If you're only moving to a new OS due to lack of diskspace then you can remove unnecessary temp, log files and software update files to free up space.

Try WinDirStat to see what could be hogging the space

e.g. 

----------------------------
        Weem