Some Questions About Integrated Graphics & Dedicated Graphics.

DumbFounded
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

1. Integrated graphics refers to graphics that are integrated into another part, such as graphics integrated into the CPU (which you have) or graphics integrated into the motherboard (which was common in the past, but is now typically only done with server or workstation hardware, because the CPUs tend to lack integrated graphics).

1. If the graphics card performs the same as your current integrated graphics, it will not be better. And I wouldn't recommend getting a card that weak, although it's easier said than done with an Intel UHD solution - almost anything is better than that.

2. Do not get any of the old GT 7X0 cards. They are all terrible. Many are worse than your current graphics. If you need something that is both low profile and dirt cheap, my recommendation would be to spend <$20 on a Quadro K620 on eBay. It performs about as well as a GT 1030, but costs as much as an evening movie ticket, because there are so many workstations that are being gutted for parts and resold on eBay. It is also actually Maxwell based (900 series) in spite of its name, so it still gets driver updates to this day, whereas no GT 7X0 cards are currently supported by Nvidia.

3. TechPowerUp is the best website source. You can see their relative performance chart with dedicated graphics cards that shows the percent scaling. Here's a snapshot for the K620 for you to compare, as you can see, it's within 10% of the GT 1030 while costing way less.

image.png.bdb5bc3ecc2635dfbab3c475399b12c3.png

If you have the time, a better way to gauge performance is by looking at dedicated reviews from sites like TechSpot, TechPowerUp, and Tom's Hardware, or by looking at reviews on YouTube from sources like Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Hardware Canucks, LTT, and Optimum Tech - the data there should be more up-to-date and they can give recommendations based on their experience.

Hello, I am a newbie at tech and wanted some knowledge about graphic cards.

I have been wanting to buy a graphics card with a similar bench/strength as my integrated graphics, but I am unsure if it's good to buy one. My current GPU processor is an Intel UHD 630 (Integrated) with a 10th gen i5 CPU processor (if that's relevant to anything) and a 200w PSU. I know it's not much, but I am looking for a slight boost on the graphics side, and my PC has a PCIE 16x slot, which I'm thinking of filling with something similar strength as a UHD 630.

Questions:

1. What's the difference between Integrated and Dedicated? (Clearing up some confusion)

1. Is buying dedicated graphics with similar (or almost similar) benches as an integrated better?

2. Can you suggest a LOW PROFILE graphics card that is better than my integrated but limited to my system specs? (I am eyeing a GT 730 if that's better than a UHD 630)

3. Is there a useful website to compare graphics card benches? (just for helpful reference in the future)

Thanks if anyone answers!

1. Integrated graphics refers to graphics that are integrated into another part, such as graphics integrated into the CPU (which you have) or graphics integrated into the motherboard (which was common in the past, but is now typically only done with server or workstation hardware, because the CPUs tend to lack integrated graphics).

1. If the graphics card performs the same as your current integrated graphics, it will not be better. And I wouldn't recommend getting a card that weak, although it's easier said than done with an Intel UHD solution - almost anything is better than that.

2. Do not get any of the old GT 7X0 cards. They are all terrible. Many are worse than your current graphics. If you need something that is both low profile and dirt cheap, my recommendation would be to spend <$20 on a Quadro K620 on eBay. It performs about as well as a GT 1030, but costs as much as an evening movie ticket, because there are so many workstations that are being gutted for parts and resold on eBay. It is also actually Maxwell based (900 series) in spite of its name, so it still gets driver updates to this day, whereas no GT 7X0 cards are currently supported by Nvidia.

3. TechPowerUp is the best website source. You can see their relative performance chart with dedicated graphics cards that shows the percent scaling. Here's a snapshot for the K620 for you to compare, as you can see, it's within 10% of the GT 1030 while costing way less.

image.png.bdb5bc3ecc2635dfbab3c475399b12c3.png

If you have the time, a better way to gauge performance is by looking at dedicated reviews from sites like TechSpot, TechPowerUp, and Tom's Hardware, or by looking at reviews on YouTube from sources like Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Hardware Canucks, LTT, and Optimum Tech - the data there should be more up-to-date and they can give recommendations based on their experience.

9 minutes ago, DumbFounded said:

Is buying dedicated graphics with similar (or almost similar) benches as an integrated better?

No. there's no point on having the same performance, other than additional ports, it won't add up to the total processing power.

You better buy a used RX580, it's $50 on ebay.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

No. there's no point on having the same performance, other than additional ports, it won't add up to the total processing power.

You better buy a used RX580, it's $50 on ebay.

That's a great price for the level of performance if the OP has a PSU that can handle it and enough space in the case. However, they did ask specifically for a low profile recommendation. Unfortunately, GTX 1050/1050 Ti LP pricing is absolutely absurd - over $100 - and the GT 1030 is $60+, and RX 560 LP cards are over $80 after shipping.

Low profile, 200W PSU, sounds like one of those compact desktops. Options will be limited as there wont be separate power available. Highest performance will be 1650 but they're not cheap.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible