XFX BRAND

Hello!

i'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, i've been looking at some reviews and some specific models, i'm more inclined towards graphics cards with an amd chip. A brand that came up a lot in my research was xfx, I would like you to help me get to know this brand better, in terms of performance, reliability and aesthetics, what do you guys think of the brand's graphics and if you have had any experience with the brand, could you share your experiences? 

Thank you guys!

They're an AMD exclusive brand that has been making cards for AMD for years, going back to when they were ATI. Although XFX did used to make Nvidia cards, but that stopped years ago.

My RX 580 4GB is an XFX card. It's been doing well. No complaints about the build quality from me.

All that to say, brands are largely irrelevant when it comes time to actually buy a card - beyond that no-name brands should face additional scrutiny. Any of the big names, XFX, MSI, Power Color, Asrock, Gigabyte, etc all make good and bad cards, but most are middling and good enough, so price is generally the most important factor. They all have almost no control over how the card will perform, and pretty much only control the cooling solution. So as long as the cooler is good, the card will be good, and the quality of the cooler varies across the product stack of each brand.

So in the end, you need to research the particular card you're interested in buying.

No real experience with the brand but if you go AMD, XFX or Sapphire are the brands to go towards i'd say since they exclusively make boards for their chips. I've had exclusively Sapphire cards since I started building with the one off MSI RX 480.

15 hours ago, Daniel Carneiro said:

Hello!

i'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, i've been looking at some reviews and some specific models, i'm more inclined towards graphics cards with an amd chip. A brand that came up a lot in my research was xfx, I would like you to help me get to know this brand better, in terms of performance, reliability and aesthetics, what do you guys think of the brand's graphics and if you have had any experience with the brand, could you share your experiences? 

Thank you guys!

Good advice posted so far.

What I've noticed is that Sapphire and XFX are posted a bit more for recommendations. But generally you should be okay with the bigger brands, as someone has already said. Compare prices and get yourself a good deal.

I've only owned one XFX card, for just over a year. You will need to do a bit of research on the tiers of XFX cards, SWFT -> QICK -> MERC.

See what makes sense for you and your budget.

The only negative I can see for example with XFX vs Sapphire is, I've experienced and read about the fan noise of some XFX cards. And generally when they are getting a good workout, they are loud! And especially at default fan curves, they are too safe and ramp up quickly. Warning of course is not everyone wants to play around with settings like that.   

Maybe the higher tier MERC models won't be as bad, but you'll have to do research and see if there's anything mentioned online for the model you are interested in.

I have a SWFT model, and my case sits along the side of a bankers desk, so noise doesn't get to me as much. Also due to my display, I run 1080p 60hz, so my card usually doesn't get pushed as far as it can.

I've owned a couple XFX graphics cards and building systems with them over the years.

From the XFX Radeon HD 5850, couple cards in between, until the RX 6800-series.

They are up there with the "top-tier' brands.

You CANNOT go by just the brand.

This doesn't apply to just XFX, but any other brand like ASUS, Gigabyte, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc.

They will have have some "bad luck" with a generation / design of graphics cards, and they may fall to the bottom of the stack.

XFX had a few bad GPU cooler designs... I remember the "Thermal Ghost" coolers for the HD 7900 series and the "THICC II / III" coolers on the RX 5700-series.

Then the XFX MERC 319 for the RX 6800 / 6900-series performed amazing.

Aesthetic / looks is subjective, all with personal taste.

In the last few generations of graphics cards (i.e. RX 5000-series -> RX 7000-series) XFX has gone with a black/grey/silver colour scheme.

If say... you are looking at the 7900 XTX.

Read /watch the professional reviews, and do some research and look up owner reviews / feedback on... forums, Reddit or wherever.

Compare the price, performance, looks between all the available models.

i.e. I would NOT spend an extra $150+ on a Gigabyte Arous 7900 XTX.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Thank you all for your suggestions, you have given good tips and important information. i am thinking of buying an rx-6800 xt, it seems to be a good price/quality model