Badly shocked by ps5

Forchy

Hey, 

i was badly shocked by my ps5, & it wasn’t like any static shock ive ever had , like metal taste in my mouth, arm and hand pain, headaches etc. im improving and it could have been way worse, but tbh after reading about numerous problems with people getting shocked by ps5s, usb ports melting, and the evo 2023 usb ports melting on ps5s, frankly im nervous to use my launch ps5 anymore. 

Their customer support was useless, and while i dont want to give sony more money, i have tons of PlayStation games I’ve bought and feel like im only cheating myself if i dont replace it. Has anyone heard of issues with the ps5 slim usb ports? 
it hasn’t been out long so i haven’t found anything on it but i wanted to see if anyone had heard anything. 

I have a rare condition called Stiff person syndrome ( what Celine Dion has), and the long and short of it is electrical shock is probably the absolute worst thing for it because it already effects the body’s electrical signals. 

i have enough money i was saving for steam Black Friday sales to replace my ps5, so money isn’t really the issue, but not to sound like a chicken, im nervous to use a ps5 because of my already complicated health ( i had cancer, 2 spinal cord surgeries and a broken back too, so gaming is my refuge). I’ve never had my pc or xbox do anything but really really mild static shock, so im good using them. 

i dunno, i know ill probably just replace it but i kinda just wanted to vent i guess. It sucks already being sick then literally being hurt by my console. 

i mentioned this elsewhere and people acted like i was just exaggerating a static shock, but i never felt a static shock or side effects as bad as this. As i mentioned Ive been thru a lot of health problems and im not one to complain about something unless it’s genuinely bad. 

If any of you are like the people i read getting repeated shocks from their ps5s, please be careful, from the melting usb ports and stuff i read, i think there’s something really wrong with at least the first 2 models of the ps5. I haven’t found any complaints about the 3rd revision or the slim model tho. 

For those wondering about the melting usbs, this is one of the few articles I found. Most of the actual accounts of people getting shocked are Reddit posts. Ill post a screenshot of one after but unlike him i wasn’t using an extension cord but a Sony first party charging cable. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/ps5s-reportedly-melting-usb-ports-tips-to-avoid-disaster/

One person among many i saw on Reddit complaining but one of the few that actually tested 2 consoles. 

IMG_2697.png

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

are you using a grounded outlet?

Yes

6 hours ago, Forchy said:

Yes

Then ya might have a ps5 with a bridged connection inside.

Happens in a whole range of devices from tine to time.

Best you can do is return/apply for warranty

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Then ya might have a ps5 with a bridged connection inside.

Happens in a whole range of devices from tine to time.

Best you can do is return/apply for warranty

Thanks. It’s out of warranty unfortunately, but my major concern is another health issue, so im hoping that it passes soon. 

Sounds like a generic electric appliance safety issue as opposed to console gaming specific issue, it could happen to any electrical appliances and you need to rule out user factors before blaming anyone.

For example liquid damage or insect infestation can cause this, it won’t be covered in warranty if this is the cause.

4 hours ago, TomChaai said:

Sounds like a generic electric appliance safety issue as opposed to console gaming specific issue, it could happen to any electrical appliances and you need to rule out user factors before blaming anyone.

For example liquid damage or insect infestation can cause this, it won’t be covered in warranty if this is the cause.

100% no liquid has ever got near my console and i live in a place where an insect infestation would be unlikely. Plus i have an immune system disorder, so im a forced clean freak and allergic to dust too. ( the wonderful post effects of chemotherapy) 

2 hours ago, Forchy said:

100% no liquid has ever got near my console and i live in a place where an insect infestation would be unlikely. Plus i have an immune system disorder, so im a forced clean freak and allergic to dust too. ( the wonderful post effects of chemotherapy) 

Having whatever medical conditions isn’t relevant to the cause of electrical shock. Figure out what kind of shock it is producing, is it normal static shock from the weather, or expected inducted charges from EMI, or your console genuinely have an electrical safety hazard with the console.