Can I get help on what to look for in a surge protector for a new pc build please?

r81157663

Can anyone give any advice on what I should look for in a surge protector please? I don't know anything about what I need to look at. 

Here's everything I plan on connecting to the strip eventually. My pc with a 1000W psu and ill probably also have 4 monitors/ keyboard/phone/router/laptop connected to the same strip.

Is the most important thing I should look for (besides making sure its reliable) the joule rating? what rating should I be looking for with my setup?

thanks for any help :) 

The 1000w is just how much the power supply can supply to the components if needed, it doesn't consume 1000 watts all the time.  Your pc may consume only 300-500w when gaming. A laptop consumes under 100 watts and monitors usually consume anything between 20w and 100w depending on screen size and brightness you use.

For a surge protector, it doesn't matter how much power the computer consumes, a surge protector is supposed to protect from spikes in voltage on the wires... it's should not care how much power goes through it, so pretty much all should be rated for 1600w or whatever is the standard (110v 15-16A  or 230v 15-16A , I forget the exact current amount now)

You care about the power consumption when you buy a UPS, because that one takes power from batteries and produces 230v and to produce more power on 230v, you need a stronger (more expensive) conversion circuit. With UPSes, you generally want the VA rating to be at least 1.5x-2x the total power consumption of the components connnected to it (ex if your pc consumes 500w when playing games, you'd want to aim for a 850-1000VA UPS)