Anyone succesfully adapted HDMI to DP while keeping GSYNC 1440p 144hz?

Niels_at_home

Not quite system advice, not quite monitors, not quite graphics cards.. so I'll post it here.

I'm considering going crazy, it is long overdue, who needs sanity? My setup would have:
3x 144hz 1440p DP monitors (DELL S2716DG) surround gaming setup

1x 49" ultrawide 'work' monitor (maybe Odyssey OLED )

1x DisplayPort VR headset (Pimax 8kx)

Ideally I don't go plugging things in and out every time. I will never use all at once, so if there is still a 4 simultaneous device limit in GPU's, that is fine. There are 4000 series Nvidia cards with 5 outputs, but I've only seen ones with 3xDP and 2x HDMI.

The 49" ultrawide seems to support HDMI 2.1, so I can use HDMI for that at high refresh rates. (I would think!)

The 3x DP monitors are picky about their connection. Using GSYNC and NVidia Surround, you kinda want make, model, and connection to be the same on all. HDMI 1.4 probably also doesn't even do 144hz 1440p.
The VR headset is probably very picky and wants the purest DP signal available.

So that means 4x DP devices and 3x DP ports...

My best bet seems to be to try and convert HDMI 2.1 to DP 1.4 for one of the 3 GSYNC monitors.. But comments on these adapters aren't always positive for high refresh rate monitors, and I would need GSYNC to remain functional.
So after all this, actually quite unnecessary information that looks surprisingly similar to a dude flexing...my question is:

Has anyone successfully adapted HDMI to DP and kept at least 1440p 144hz GSYNC functionality? If so, what adapter / cable did you use?

Thanks,
Niels

I ordered this StarTech Active HDMI to DP adapter to simply try it out: https://www.startech.com/en-nl/display-video-adapters/128-hdmi-displayport

I'm currently using a 2070 Super.

It does allow 1440p 144hz, and I can also enable Nvidia Surround for my triple screen gaming setup.

However, the HDMI to DP adapted monitor doesn't show up as Gsync compatible in the Nvidia Control Panel, so my entire surround gaming will not have functional Gsync.

Now I have read that maybe on newer HDMI 2.1 cards (30 and 40 series Nvidia) maybe adaptive sync is supported over HDMI... But will that work with a 2016 'original' Gsync module equiped monitor I have?

Surprisingly hard to find this info. Also surprisingly easy to spot a non working Gsync, geez that is a stuttery mess!

• 1 month later...

Just to update this. Tested on a 3080, once adapted from HDMI to DP, the monitor did sadly not show up as a GSYNC compatible anymore.