Ground-up Budget Gaming PC Build

Budget (including currency): 650-850 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Old low graphic intense games, also modern strategy or economy games like Anno 1800, Civ 6 etc.; Office Programms for work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello everyone!

I'm building a new Desktop Computer for my father, who's wants to use the pc for low to mid intensive gaming (e.g. stragey, economy games), maybe also some rather perfomance intensive gaming like ego shooters.

I have already prepared a list of thinks I thought would fit in general, or would fit for the budget, but I would like some professional advice on which parts to buy exactly, and what is a good idea, what not. He doesn't want to spend much on it, and rather upgrade it in the future, if he thinks it can't fit his needs. So the budget is around 650 to 850 Euros. With the existing part picker list calculations and around 150-200 Euros for a low tier gpu I calculated around 750 Euros. Fancy rgb lighting or casing isn't needed at all. But a big storage is something important, so I went with 2 TB of SSD for games and other applications and 4 TB HDD for bulk storage of movies, pictures, so just cheap storage. The bulk storage is important and I think something like another 4 TB of SSD is just unnessecary, considering there is not much Budget and he is fine with HDD storage. He already has Peripherals and Monitors and he wants a wifi capable motherboard.

To sum it up. He wants:

• A PC for entry-mid level gaming at 1080p
  • Fast storage for applications and games
  • Much, cheap bulk storage
  • Wifi capable motherboard
  • No unnessecary decorations (rgb, glass side panel)

Partpickerlist: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/mtxGjH

Thank you guys in advance for answering. 🙂

Try building a 5600g, you will save on the GPU. It will play most low-end strategy games at 1080p no problem.
I played baldurs gate 3 from start to finish with the integrated graphic. If it's not enough then you go buy a GPU.
It even run switch emulator fabulously.

You don't need 2TB of ssd, most games will run just fine on the 4TB HDD, get 1tb instead fo half the price.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

42 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Try building a 5600g, you will save on the GPU. It will play most low-end strategy games at 1080p no problem.
I played baldurs gate 3 from start to finish with the integrated graphic. If it's not enough then you go buy a GPU.
It even run switch emulator fabulously.

You don't need 2TB of ssd, most games will run just fine on the 4TB HDD, get 1tb instead fo half the price.

Thank you for answering,

What GPU would you recommend alongside the 5600g?

For $150 go for a used rtx 2060 or 6600xt, but try it with the integrated first.

Most strategy games are not that gpu intensive, except those with highend graphics like riftbreaker (although relatively playable in low settings).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I'd advise you to go for a used CPU of the 2000 or 3000 series R5 or R7 range. These can be had very cheap, 40-100 EUR depending on model, and still are plenty powerful. Then you could put the savings into getting a better board and graphics card instead. For storage go for a Kioxia MVME drive (good brand and cheaper than equivalent Samsung, etc) and a midrange HDD of sufficient size. As for case, I believe the Deepcool Matrexx series offer the most bang for the buck. 

13 hours ago, chtorogu said:

I'd advise you to go for a used CPU of the 2000 or 3000 series R5 or R7 range. These can be had very cheap, 40-100 EUR depending on model, and still are plenty powerful. Then you could put the savings into getting a better board and graphics card instead. For storage go for a Kioxia MVME drive (good brand and cheaper than equivalent Samsung, etc) and a midrange HDD of sufficient size. As for case, I believe the Deepcool Matrexx series offer the most bang for the buck. 

Thanks for answering,

Are there any Motherboard you can recommend for AMD CPUs?

29 minutes ago, ProbablyNotYou said:

Thanks for answering,

I was just looking at something like an B550 Tomahawk max wifi, would you recommend?

15 hours ago, ProbablyNotYou said:

Thanks for answering,

Depends on your budget. Check for tier lists. From what I've found it seems it has to be B450/X470 for the 2000-series (and later) while B550/X570 support the 3000-series and newer. I got the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming for my 3700X and everything has been working well so far. Despite the "Gaming" branding it's completely free of RGB and other "bling" which hopefully means more money spent on actual components. Could be better to go a bit higher end, if you can. I've seen the Asrock B550 Pro4 recommended here a few times so that's probably a good choice.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:44 AM, chtorogu said:

Depends on your budget. Check for tier lists. From what I've found it seems it has to be B450/X470 for the 2000-series (and later) while B550/X570 support the 3000-series and newer. I got the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming for my 3700X and everything has been working well so far. Despite the "Gaming" branding it's completely free of RGB and other "bling" which hopefully means more money spent on actual components. Could be better to go a bit higher end, if you can. I've seen the Asrock B550 Pro4 recommended here a few times so that's probably a good choice.

Thank you!

I'll keep that in mind :)