Anyone got any experience with NanoVNAs?

GarlicDeliverySystem

So, I recently had a situation at work where I wish I had a vector network analyser at hand.

We use variety of relatively high-power (~1000W pulse, ~50W CW) RF filters for band-pass and low-pass, in the range 50-800 MHz. Sometimes I suspect a certain filter might be not up to spec, but the only way I am aware of to properly check them is with a VNA. In the past I have seen VNAs go for several thousand dollars, though just like with 'scopes there appears to be a new segment of "NanoVNA" which are handheld devices and cost only a couple hundred $. They are all over amazon even, though afaik those are mostly clones of the original design.

Anyone ever used these, or have any experience with them?

I do have a genuine NanoVNA V2, only ever used it to check antennas and it did the job just fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

If all you need are basic measurements a nanoVNA is fine. 

For other measurements a VNA with tracking gen is required.

People never go out of business.

6 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

If all you need are basic measurements a nanoVNA is fine. 

Thanks.

All we would need it for is to measure transmission/reflection of some filters and a few probes in the ~hundreds of MHz range, though with potentially kHz resolution. Does that still qualify as basics?

Sorry if this is dumb, but I am merely using the equipment and mostly deal with the scientific output side of things. The RF engineering parts I am learning along the way as I have to solve issues, so I am missing a ton of basics here.

Should be fine.

When you buy the device make sure to buy a calibration set (short, 50 Ohm, open) and appropriate RF-cables.

Make sure to not send the 50W or 1kW pulse into the device. If you not already have them laying around get some attenuator. I think the NanoVNA are delivered without warning label (max. input power) so you might want to add it.

People never go out of business.

Thanks, I will make sure we get the calibration set as well.

Regarding the power, we would naturally test our devices disconnected from the source. There should actually be no reasonable scenario where someone would plug in the VNA into the source.

Then again, knowing how creative people under pressure and in a rush can get.... I'll put labels on them!