Cheap GPU for Plex server transcoding

Tegneren
Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
31 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

I'm using the Plex app on my Samsung smart TV (QE65Q70RAT) to watch. Its on the same network as the server so would think it should work ok then, unless it doesn't have the proper codecs. But as I mentioned, when running the server on my gaming PC it was flawless.

I also has a Chromecast Ultra, but its more cumbersome to use it, so I haven't tested Plex on that. I currently only uses it for the occasional Twitch stream as the TV doesnt have an app for it.

The Samsung TV app is likely the issue. Your gaming PC can power through transcoding without issue, which is why you wasn’t have noticed a slowdown. Plex can direct play video running on an absolutely ancient PC, your 4790k is extreme overkill for direct play (it’ll use single digit CPU%, tops).

What version or chromecast ultra do you have? I guess the new one I was thinking of was “chromecast with google tv”, it has a remote and functions much like a nvidia shield tv would. The Ultra may also work fine, I’d give it a shot. But the Samsung TV app is almost certainly the issue as it likely can’t play the native codec and it’s forcing the Plex server to transcode, which is clearly not working out very well. 

More importantly, what is your source media? That 4790k shouldn’t have any issue transcoding 1080p to 720p for example (depending on the file size, a full phat 1080p bluray may be to much for it), but it absolutely will not be able to transcode 4k for example. So this information is also important. 

As an example, my homelab used to run on an i3 6100, and I gave my Ubuntu VM that handled Plex 2 of my 4 threads ( dual core with HT….) and it would play back full bluray rips (70GB each….. so nearly 100mbps streams) 4k, Dolby vision and atmos, and CPU usage would be ~5%. Because again, it’s not actually “doing anything” besides just being a file server if you are direct playing. Now you try and transcode that same 4k bluray, well, that ain’t happening, I’d need a GPU for that. 

I'm currently have a media server running Plex for my totally legit movie and TV series collection. I have paid for a yearly subscription to get HW transcoding, but I'm still struggling a bit with buffering and not being able to view some files on my TV.

Currently i have no descrete GPU in the server and its just running on a I7 4790k with its rather poor iGPU. 

I tried running the Plex server on my gaming PC (R7 5800X and RX 6800XT) and was able to view everything without any issue even with FAH running at full tilt, but I dont want to run it on that as already use the server for storage.

So would any cheap descrete GPU work better for transcoding, or will I have to get something at a certain level to get it to run properly. If so what would be the lowest I should look at?

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Older Quadro cards are relatively inexpensive on the used market. Something from the Pascal generation or newer would work.

Before you buy anything make sure Plex is actually using Quick Sync Video for encoding. I don't remember if hardware acceleration gets enabled by default when you've got a Plex Pass subscription.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

26 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Older Quadro cards are relatively inexpensive on the used market. Something from the Pascal generation or newer would work.

Before you buy anything make sure Plex is actually using Quick Sync Video for encoding. I don't remember if hardware acceleration gets enabled by default when you've got a Plex Pass subscription.

You need Plex Pass for it.   I grabbed the Lifetime,  costs about 3 years worth for as long as Plex exists.  Worth the bet.  

I use a 1050Ti currently.  I think it's the minimal mainstream GPU for it.

Subscription Services

Plex Pass

The Plex Pass subscription includes free activation/unlocking of our mobile apps as well as other features and benefits:

• Activate/unlock our Android and iOS mobile apps simply by signing into your Plex account within the app.
  • Access the Plex Labs apps: Plexamp and Plex Dash
  • DVR Recording: Record over-the-air broadcasts available in your area, using a compatible tuner and digital antenna.
  • Stream trailers and extras (interviews, behind the scenes, etc.) for content in your movie or TV show libraries.
  • Add lyrics from LyricFind to your music libraries to follow along whenever you want.
  • Invite full Plex accounts (not just managed users) of family members to be a part of your Plex Home, allowing easy switching between accounts, and restrict what content you share from your server.
  • Skip Credits in your personal library.
  • Skip intros in TV episodes in your personal library.
  • Premium music features like Loudness Leveling, Sweet Fades, and Sonic Analysis.
  • Hardware-accelerated streaming/transcoding.
  • HDR to SDR tone mapping to help preserve colors for playback.
  • Get early preview access to new apps and features.
  • And even more!

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

26 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I cant find any mention of "quick sync" in the settings, but Hardware accellerated encoding is enabled (im assuming its the same ting) and the transcoding device is set to the Intel HD grapics.

6 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

You need Plex Pass for it.

I have it, Bought a years subscription

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

6 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

I cant find any mention of "quick sync" in the settings, but Hardware accellerated encoding is enabled (im assuming its the same ting) and the transcoding device is set to the Intel HD grapics.

I have it, Bought a years subscription

I have a p600 in my HTPC, and it's been great, about $40 when I got it about a month ago, a p400 would be a good choice if you're lookig. For 1 4k or 2-3 1080p streams (not direct stream).

1 hour ago, Tegneren said:

I'm currently have a media server running Plex for my totally legit movie and TV series collection. I have paid for a yearly subscription to get HW transcoding, but I'm still struggling a bit with buffering and not being able to view some files on my TV.

Currently i have no descrete GPU in the server and its just running on a I7 4790k with its rather poor iGPU. 

I tried running the Plex server on my gaming PC (R7 5800X and RX 6800XT) and was able to view everything without any issue even with FAH running at full tilt, but I dont want to run it on that as already use the server for storage.

So would any cheap descrete GPU work better for transcoding, or will I have to get something at a certain level to get it to run properly. If so what would be the lowest I should look at?

If you’re streaming in your house, you don’t really want to be transcoding anyways. Transcoding serves the purpose of reducing file size to make streaming over the internet possible. For local playback, you need to make sure your files are stored in a way that can be direct played on the devices they will be played on. This also results in requiring no transcoding, which means Plex can run on a potatoe without issue since it just turns into simply streaming data from the harddrive. 

I would potentially put that money into an nvidia shield tv (not the tube one, the larger one) or a chromecast ultra. Both have very good support of just about every codec and thus will be able to play the files in their native format. This improves quality since transcoding by definition reduces quality, and makes it so your Plex machine doesnt need any upgrades. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If you’re streaming in your house, you don’t really want to be transcoding anyways. Transcoding serves the purpose of reducing file size to make streaming over the internet possible. For local playback, you need to make sure your files are stored in a way that can be direct played on the devices they will be played on. This also results in requiring no transcoding, which means Plex can run on a potatoe without issue since it just turns into simply streaming data from the harddrive. 

I would potentially put that money into an nvidia shield tv (not the tube one, the larger one) or a chromecast ultra. Both have very good support of just about every codec and thus will be able to play the files in their native format. This improves quality since transcoding by definition reduces quality, and makes it so your Plex machine doesnt need any upgrades. 

I'm using the Plex app on my Samsung smart TV (QE65Q70RAT) to watch. Its on the same network as the server so would think it should work ok then, unless it doesn't have the proper codecs. But as I mentioned, when running the server on my gaming PC it was flawless.

I also has a Chromecast Ultra, but its more cumbersome to use it, so I haven't tested Plex on that. I currently only uses it for the occasional Twitch stream as the TV doesnt have an app for it.

31 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

The Samsung TV app is likely the issue. Your gaming PC can power through transcoding without issue, which is why you wasn’t have noticed a slowdown. Plex can direct play video running on an absolutely ancient PC, your 4790k is extreme overkill for direct play (it’ll use single digit CPU%, tops).

What version or chromecast ultra do you have? I guess the new one I was thinking of was “chromecast with google tv”, it has a remote and functions much like a nvidia shield tv would. The Ultra may also work fine, I’d give it a shot. But the Samsung TV app is almost certainly the issue as it likely can’t play the native codec and it’s forcing the Plex server to transcode, which is clearly not working out very well. 

More importantly, what is your source media? That 4790k shouldn’t have any issue transcoding 1080p to 720p for example (depending on the file size, a full phat 1080p bluray may be to much for it), but it absolutely will not be able to transcode 4k for example. So this information is also important. 

As an example, my homelab used to run on an i3 6100, and I gave my Ubuntu VM that handled Plex 2 of my 4 threads ( dual core with HT….) and it would play back full bluray rips (70GB each….. so nearly 100mbps streams) 4k, Dolby vision and atmos, and CPU usage would be ~5%. Because again, it’s not actually “doing anything” besides just being a file server if you are direct playing. Now you try and transcode that same 4k bluray, well, that ain’t happening, I’d need a GPU for that. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Yeah I think you may be right. Because some movies with big 60GB 4K files it chews through without issue, while it sometimes struggles at much smaller 1080p files probably due to an unsupported codek on the TV.

My library varies widely in quality, some of them are really old like from the time where the downloads were made to fit a CD😅

My chromecast is of the older 4K hockey puck variant without google tv

4 hours ago, Tegneren said:

Yeah I think you may be right. Because some movies with big 60GB 4K files it chews through without issue, while it sometimes struggles at much smaller 1080p files probably due to an unsupported codek on the TV.

My library varies widely in quality, some of them are really old like from the time where the downloads were made to fit a CD😅

My chromecast is of the older 4K hockey puck variant without google tv

Try the chromecast. If it doesn’t work either for all your content, consider an nvidia shield tv. I watch 99% of all my content through it because it’s a great user interface and its android, so has an app for everything.