Is the ThermalRight Frozen P̷r̷i̷s̷m̷ Notte good?

RevGAM
4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

People with experience in CLs seem to have very mixed opinions on EK and, given their prices, I guess I would not be much inclined to buy from them for a CL. I'm not ready to make a CL right now, though, and maybe I never will unless my YouTube channel gets popular enough. I'm not expecting that will ever happen because there are a lot of tech channels already, and many have people with more knowledge than I have, plus I don't edit my videos and people tend to want really polished tech videos. Oh well. That just means it'll stay a hobby for a long time.

I'm not convinced that the Arctic 420 is the best AIO. In terms of price, it is certainly very reasonable. In terms of noise, it's also one of the best. However, when it comes to performance there are many other AIOs that beat it when the CPU really heats up.

But I can't say what percentage of users really want a low-noise AIO, and what percentage often need to fight a super-hot CPU, and I'm not convinced that there's enough difference between many AIOs to really matter for the average user.

I feel (and this is just opinion) that most people don't need an AIO unless they've got a really hot CPU and, of those that need an AIO, most can probably do just fine with any decently powerful AIO. Some very inexpensive but powerful AIOs are available for $100-150, including the DC LS/LT series, Arctic LF II, LL Galahad II, and so many others, not to mention <$100 AIOs. Granted, some of those AIOs are from unknown and lesser brands like Dracaena, SAMA, Dark Rock, ManNaJue, Azza, RaidMax, and GameMax may be a good deal but some don't even list the specs, so I'm very hesitant to consider them.

Honestly, if I had sponsors, I'd probably snap up several of the ones on sale right now between Amazon and NewEgg, including the Enermax, the EK, be quiet! (Pure Loop), DC LS720, CMCM MasterLiquid ML360L and a few others. All of those are around $100 on one or the other website. I don't have sponsors and my income isn't really very much so...My itchy hands must be tied behind my back! 🤑💸😞

I'll go with the Frozen Notte since it's not been reviewed and is so inexpensive that I don't feel I can go wrong.

Says the guy who has only owned one AIO, and that's from his favorite cooler company. 😉 I looked at AE yesterday and was surprised by how high the prices on coolers tended to be.

people need an aio because tower coolers cant keep up or have not changed to keep up yet. sounds like cpus will keep getting hotter so... more aios and faster fans it seems and more airflow cases.

for thows that want quiet will use a cooler cpu or under volt.

i have to see a video about a bunch of aios all tested on one cpu with out using there fans that comes with it to see witch is the best till then im guessing to witch aio is the "best" and dont really care to go looking for info on it as i custom loop.

alphacool dose have a custom aio but the pump  cant really handle much more then one rad...

i also dont play aaa games so my pc atm play evry game i want it too. my "new" computer will be just over kill...

my 6600k with a d15 is un audible and i have no case fans plugged in...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

25 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

people need an aio because tower coolers cant keep up or have not changed to keep up yet

They don't need an AIO, at least no on AMD.. some cooler manufacturers have changed to meet the demands of modern CPUs, unfortunately not all of them have. At a 250w load on my 5900X I see maybe 4-5c difference at full load compared to my high end air setup. But to be fair, AIO has come a long way now that Asetek is not controlling the market. For instance, I would not recommend any Noctua cooler for a modern CPU, as they have let their products stagnate, like Intel again 😄

But I will be buying a 14th gen part for a board I have.. so I will be able to comment on Intel shortly 😄

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3800C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

They don't need an AIO, at least no on AMD.. some cooler manufacturers have changed to meet the demands of modern CPUs, unfortunately not all of them have. At a 250w load on my 5900X I see maybe 4-5c difference at full load compared to my high end air setup. But to be fair, AIO has come a long way now that Asetek is not controlling the market. For instance, I would not recommend any Noctua cooler for a modern CPU, as they have let their products stagnate, like Intel again 😄

But I will be buying a 14th gen part for a board I have.. so I will be able to comment on Intel shortly 😄

amd has platform problems so i would stay away from them. there so slow at fixing problems...

but thats imo

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Well, I put in the order for the Frozen Notte. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

amd has platform problems so i would stay away from them. there so slow at fixing problems...

but thats imo

Been smooth sailing for me since I left Intel. Problem is memory. If everyone ran Sammy B-Die, everyone's problems would go away. Cant speak for AM5 as I have no intention of buying one.

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Been smooth sailing for me since I left Intel. Problem is memory. If everyone ran Sammy B-Die, everyone's problems would go away. Cant speak for AM5 as I have no intention of buying one.

am4 is fine am5 on the other hand... but dose not make sence to buy a and am4 when am5 probably cheaper just because of how the used market works...

When it comes to hardware, the only brand I buy consistently is Nvidia. I started with AMD but rolled with Intel for well over a decade. When I upgraded, Intel was getting their ass handed to them, didn't make sense to buy from them at the time 🙂

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

so lets see what we have;
Data from GN that says EKs AIOs are among the best.

very few post on anything from with whem on this forum

ur very limited if any irl xp with them

Behold, your preciousness..

FEATURED - One more bad experience with EKWB products | Overclockers Forums

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

damn, one guy with some user error.  yeee i dunno man, if one guy with a user error case talks to EK being trash then.... 

May I ask why you say that four broken screws is user error?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Just now, RevGAM said:

May I ask why you say that four broken screws is user error?

there is 2 options right 😛  
user error  or the screws are too weak

i have the same screws   and i did not "screw it up" xD 
also after its mounted, good temps, high quality everying, no reports that i have seen of clogging 

Wow. You have no idea who that guy is but are willing to call him a noob. I will part ways with your ignorance from this point on. 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

there is 2 options right 😛  
user error  or the screws are too weak

i have the same screws   and i did not "screw it up" xD 
also after its mounted, good temps, high quality everying, no reports that i have seen of clogging 

Perhaps when that person mounted it, they misthreaded them. 

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Wow. You have no idea who that guy is but are willing to call him a noob. I will part ways with your ignorance from this point on. 

putting words in my mo.. i mean text 😛  
pros can do mistakes, Just look at  "Linus Action sebastian "

I just received the Frozen Notte and took a look. The ARGB LEDs are subdued. The brightness is not intense, there are only lights in the hubs of each fan, and there's an infinity mirror in the block. Since I don't care about lights, I'm not sad that it's not all tricked out.

I tested the PWM fans and they are pretty powerful, which is what I expected from the specs.

The coldplate is copper held in place with 8 screws (bolts?).

The pump is mounted on the tubes instead of being in the block or rad. It is very quiet.

All connectors are standard PWM and ARGB, except the pump, which is 2-pin DC.

The accessories kit includes a 3-way splitter for PWM, a converter from 2-pin to Molex D, TF7 TiM, and AMD & LGA1700 mounting kits.

The packaging was simple, mostly black with touches of color, the unit was fully assembled, and the rad and block were covered with separate plastic bags and held in a simple, formed, brown, shaped piece that appears to have been made using a mold. It serves the purpose well without having any foam in it.

I plan to start my testing this Friday, first to ascertain what mounting position is best in my case based on thermals (which will be compared with my U12A), and then produce a review for my channel. I'm kind of excited as this is my first AIO!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, RevGAM said:

I just received the Frozen Notte and took a look. The ARGB LEDs are subdued. The brightness is not intense, there are only lights in the hubs of each fan, and there's an infinity mirror in the block. Since I don't care about lights, I'm not sad that it's not all tricked out.

I tested the PWM fans and they are pretty powerful, which is what I expected from the specs.

The coldplate is copper held in place with 8 screws (bolts?).

The pump is mounted on the tubes instead of being in the block or rad. It is very quiet.

All connectors are standard PWM and ARGB, except the pump, which is 2-pin DC.

The accessories kit includes a 3-way splitter for PWM, a converter from 2-pin to Molex D, TF7 TiM, and AMD & LGA1700 mounting kits.

The packaging was simple, mostly black with touches of color, the unit was fully assembled, and the rad and block were covered with separate plastic bags and held in a simple, formed, brown, shaped piece that appears to have been made using a mold. It serves the purpose well without having any foam in it.

I plan to start my testing this Friday, first to ascertain what mounting position is best in my case based on thermals (which will be compared with my U12A), and then produce a review for my channel. I'm kind of excited as this is my first AIO!

It's been almost a month, are you going to make a conclusion (thumbs up/down)?!?   J/k.   I was looking at this AIO and came across this thread.   I'm open to other AIOs, too - I was thinking like you - so many are really expensive - $200 and over - and thought, isn't there any <$200 that could still do the job?

My cpu is the same - 12700K - the only thing that might be different is that I might have more value on any noise - I'll sacrifice a few degrees for it to be quieter.   However, I still wonder whether the cheaper AIOs can be good enough - aren't they almost all using the Asetek pumps at this point?   They mostly differ with the fans and (potential) quality?   

Deep Cool LS720 was another one I was looking at.   The MSI Core Liquid is a bit more expensive and the other Thermalright models are in that $100-ish price point?   I wonder how they compare although you had a good list and descriptions of them in your earlier post.   

1 hour ago, Paul17 said:

It's been almost a month, are you going to make a conclusion (thumbs up/down)?!?   J/k.   I was looking at this AIO and came across this thread.   I'm open to other AIOs, too - I was thinking like you - so many are really expensive - $200 and over - and thought, isn't there any <$200 that could still do the job?

My cpu is the same - 12700K - the only thing that might be different is that I might have more value on any noise - I'll sacrifice a few degrees for it to be quieter.   However, I still wonder whether the cheaper AIOs can be good enough - aren't they almost all using the Asetek pumps at this point?   They mostly differ with the fans and (potential) quality?   

Deep Cool LS720 was another one I was looking at.   The MSI Core Liquid is a bit more expensive and the other Thermalright models are in that $100-ish price point?   I wonder how they compare although you had a good list and descriptions of them in your earlier post.   

The LS/LT720 are among the best that I'm aware of. You can take a cheap AIO and make it better by putting stronger fans on it, although if the pump is garbage or the rad is poorly designed, you still have a cheap AIO. 😉 Replacing fans is the easiest way to "turbo" an AIO, especially since it seems like most AIOs have fans with SP of <3mmAq.

So far, the Notte seems pretty decent.  The pump is strong and the whole thing is very quiet. I'm still testing. Although the fans are pretty good, if I were going to keep using it I'd get stronger fans. Also, I'm going to unplug all the LEDs. They don't improve performance but they stick up electricity. 

Ultimately, I will take a trio of fans and use them on all 7 of the AIOs I own to see which does the best. 

I am fairly impressed with my Aqua Elite 360 V3. I am not using the stock fans though, and this guy probably wont be buying any more heatsinks..

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

The LS/LT720 are among the best that I'm aware of. You can take a cheap AIO and make it better by putting stronger fans on it, although if the pump is garbage or the rad is poorly designed, you still have a cheap AIO. 😉 Replacing fans is the easiest way to "turbo" an AIO, especially since it seems like most AIOs have fans with SP of <3mmAq.

So far, the Notte seems pretty decent.  The pump is strong and the whole thing is very quiet. I'm still testing. Although the fans are pretty good, if I were going to keep using it I'd get stronger fans. Also, I'm going to unplug all the LEDs. They don't improve performance but they stick up electricity. 

Ultimately, I will take a trio of fans and use them on all 7 of the AIOs I own to see which does the best. 

Wow, 7?!?  😮   What do you own?  😉

The DC coolers - have LS720 / SE /  (then WH - for the white versions).    I tried to figure out what the SE refers to.   Different fans?

In Canada, these seemed to go up in price?  I don't remember them being $140 all the time.   The Thermalright is under $100.   Also, the Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 is $160 (on sale) - is that one any good? 

Most of the other brands - are $200 or more?  

15 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Wow, 7?!?  😮   What do you own?  😉

The DC coolers - have LS720 / SE /  (then WH - for the white versions).    I tried to figure out what the SE refers to.   Different fans?

In Canada, these seemed to go up in price?  I don't remember them being $140 all the time.   The Thermalright is under $100.   Also, the Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360 is $160 (on sale) - is that one any good? 

Most of the other brands - are $200 or more?  

I bought during Black Friday, and it seemed that a lot of the AIOs that are "older", plus Thermalright, Dracaena and SAMA, were the cheapest. 

I got these 360s:

• TR Frozen Notte
  • DC LS720 (I wanted the LT but it was more expensive)
  • EK Nucleus CR360 Dark
  • Azza Cube
  • Be quiet! Pure Loop 2
  • Enermax Aquafusion ADV
  • SAMA (I forgot the model)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think SE is special/ second/ slim edition. 

The LT720 and LS720 are identical except the LEDs, and are highly rated. 

The best Lian Li that I'm aware of is the Galahad II Trinity Performance. 

9 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I bought during Black Friday, and it seemed that a lot of the AIOs that are "older", plus Thermalright, Dracaena and SAMA, were the cheapest. 

I got these 360s:

• TR Frozen Notte
  • DC LS720 (I wanted the LT but it was more expensive)
  • EK Nucleus CR360 Dark
  • Azza Cube
  • Be quiet! Pure Loop 2
  • Enermax Aquafusion ADV
  • SAMA (I forgot the model)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think SE is special/ second/ slim edition. 

The LT720 and LS720 are identical except the LEDs, and are highly rated. 

The best Lian Li that I'm aware of is the Galahad II Trinity Performance. 

The Sama looks pretty cheap?   Not very good reviews on Amazon?  I didn't see any model description.

The DC coolers are probably the ones to go with?  Either the LS or LT?

The Be Quiet might be good but I think their top one is the Silent Loop?

I don't know anything about the Enermax.

The EK Nucleus CR360 was on sale here recently - but, I think it's over now - and price over $200 or around there.   

I was interested in the Lian Li Galahad II 360 Trinity because I found it on sale - but, it's not the Performance model - I was wondering if it's almost as good.  🙂  

16 hours ago, Paul17 said:

The Sama looks pretty cheap?   Not very good reviews on Amazon?  I didn't see any model description.

The DC coolers are probably the ones to go with?  Either the LS or LT?

The Be Quiet might be good but I think their top one is the Silent Loop?

I don't know anything about the Enermax.

The EK Nucleus CR360 was on sale here recently - but, I think it's over now - and price over $200 or around there.   

I was interested in the Lian Li Galahad II 360 Trinity because I found it on sale - but, it's not the Performance model - I was wondering if it's almost as good.  🙂  

The Sama is cheap, as are many of their products AFAIK. I was just curious. Almost bought the Dracaena for the same reason - sale and curiosity. 

The be quiet! PL2 has inferior fans on it, so it's just an experiment. 

Those DC, LL and EK are generally considered to be among the best, although there are many others that fit into the same category. For many, the temp difference is pretty small, especially if you use an appropriate contract frame or offset ILM, if needed. Some of those, however, are much louder, like Corsair, and many are overpriced.

Using those with LEDs in an area where electricity is expensive can be an expensive choice. 😳 

The non-performance should be OK, but check comparisons. 

I'm basing this on reviews and comparisons I've seen. I've only tested the Notte.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:11 AM, RevGAM said:

The Sama is cheap, as are many of their products AFAIK. I was just curious. Almost bought the Dracaena for the same reason - sale and curiosity. 

The be quiet! PL2 has inferior fans on it, so it's just an experiment. 

Those DC, LL and EK are generally considered to be among the best, although there are many others that fit into the same category. For many, the temp difference is pretty small, especially if you use an appropriate contract frame or offset ILM, if needed. Some of those, however, are much louder, like Corsair, and many are overpriced.

Using those with LEDs in an area where electricity is expensive can be an expensive choice. 😳 

The non-performance should be OK, but check comparisons. 

I'm basing this on reviews and comparisons I've seen. I've only tested the Notte.

Hi RevGAM, any further thoughts on the Notte?    The DC LT720 went on sale here for $139 but I delayed and couldn't decide - I think the sale is over tomorrow.   The Notte (4-pin - is that the one to get if you buy that AIO?) is $77 on Amazon!   Pretty cheap - after trying to research this AIO again - I think any complaints are about the fans.   Is the pump quiet (although, I guess noise is relative - but, as long as too many ppl don't complain about it, I guess I can conclude it's pretty quiet?).   I am most concerned about the fan noise since most AIOs allow you to swap out fans?   Although, I dunno what fans are an alternative.  I like the Lian Li Infinity ones - but, I forget the model to look for.   I think at $77 - I think swapping out fans is worth it.    I dunno if the DC fans are sufficient but swapping those out really would increase the cost?

If the Notte pump isn't much noisier than the DC LT720 pump, the Thermalright AIO could be a worthwhile deal?

But, perhaps, I should wait for your review?  🙂

I was just browsing at a local store anyway - the DC AIO was there on sale and I don't often make impulse purchases.   However, I'd been wanting an AIO for a while.   

14 hours ago, Paul17 said:

Hi RevGAM, any further thoughts on the Notte?    The DC LT720 went on sale here for $139 but I delayed and couldn't decide - I think the sale is over tomorrow.   The Notte (4-pin - is that the one to get if you buy that AIO?) is $77 on Amazon!   Pretty cheap - after trying to research this AIO again - I think any complaints are about the fans.   Is the pump quiet (although, I guess noise is relative - but, as long as too many ppl don't complain about it, I guess I can conclude it's pretty quiet?).   I am most concerned about the fan noise since most AIOs allow you to swap out fans?   Although, I dunno what fans are an alternative.  I like the Lian Li Infinity ones - but, I forget the model to look for.   I think at $77 - I think swapping out fans is worth it.    I dunno if the DC fans are sufficient but swapping those out really would increase the cost?

If the Notte pump isn't much noisier than the DC LT720 pump, the Thermalright AIO could be a worthwhile deal?

But, perhaps, I should wait for your review?  🙂

I was just browsing at a local store anyway - the DC AIO was there on sale and I don't often make impulse purchases.   However, I'd been wanting an AIO for a while.   

Either is a great choice and putting fans with SP above 3 will make them better. If it's straight from the box, the DC is better.

As for noise, the Notte is very quiet. I would swap the fans to get better performance, though. They're under 3mmAq and not much air gets through that rad. 

Edited by RevGAM
Corrected Otto Rong's sabotage

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Either is a great choice and putting fans with SP above 3 will make them better. It if the box, the DC is better.

As for noise, the Notte is very quiet. I would swap the fans to get better performance, though. They're under 3mmAq and not much air gets through that rad. 

Thanks for your recommendation but what did you mean above (I changed to bold)?

Good to know about the fans - the Notte is pretty cheap right now so my main concern was if there's any noticeable pump noise - but, the fans being noisy isn't a problem, imho - it seems like many of the cheaper AIOs perform well - have decent or quiet pumps but the fans are average at best or the main cause of any noise?   

I'd like to pick the DC but it's almost double the price and the sale is probably over today - so, will become even more expensive - maybe, it'll go on sale again but who knows when....