New ML Workstation - Journal

On 1/22/2024 at 5:56 PM, Guille.R said:

Thats actually really cool and functional please release the plans if u finally do it!

Will release once I build it and ensure its useful 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Metallic parts arrived.

image.png.0796cf07c8f0a3638057a72a53ca26df.png

Unfortunately they folded the back metal sheet the opposite way. 

Luckily for me I used it as a sample and made adjustments because some features were not ok or it needed some holes moved few millimeters.

The rest of the parts are ok. Here you can see me ensuring the dimensions are ok to fit 140mm fans and radiators: 

image.png.9885e29b15655593e0b5be069931eb04.png

image.thumb.png.c78c38f73408dff8a7306fcdab5a2432.png

Next steps: Wait for the wood and the corrected metal sheet to arrive.

Then pray and check all the parts fit together as they should and that no major adjustments are needed.

Once I ensure that, I will bring the metal parts to anodize and treat, in order to have a golden brass look.

Oh, I also took the chance to manufacture some brass levers:

photo_2024-02-13_20-12-21.jpg.9dac1c7f11091a37e5d31d1bfb3d7852.jpg

NOICE!!!

It's happy to see it coming together irl.

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

Looking good! 🙂 I'm a little worried about the feet. They seem a little high. I would be scared that the PC could tip over, even from a small push.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 2/14/2024 at 12:47 PM, DoctorNick said:

Looking good! 🙂 I'm a little worried about the feet. They seem a little high. I would be scared that the PC could tip over, even from a small push.

Yeah, I was also thinking about it. Center of mass should be low enough though, and the legs will be wider when the wood covers are attached. Also, the box will be almost 1 meter high, I might just place the computer next to the table, on the floor, instead than on top of the table.

Wood pieces arrived!

I will be assembling stuff the next days. Everything seems to be in order so when I get the new back plate and I ensure its ok I will proceed with ordering the water-cooling parts. These next days I will glue some wood parts and ensure they fit well together with the metallic parts. Once that is certain, I will send the metallic parts to anodize to get that golden look. 

875b6572-c08f-4b7b-a2e5-26757cb39d43.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New stainless steel back plate arrived today. So far so good, the GPU and the PSU assemble correctly to it. One thing I have noticed is that I have underestimated the mass of the components. The GPU weights a ton, so does the PSU. I was expecting these components to bend a bit the backplate but not to the extend they do, I was hoping that the rest of the case could provide enough structural support once everything is assembled. 

I am taking the opposite philosophy from now onwards, I will design the rest of the pieces to be over-resilient to weight. The new stainless steel backplate is up to it. Besides obviously being more tough, I have added holes in strategic locations to screw it tighter to the aluminium box core, eliminating bending due to the weight of the GPU and CPU. I will have to drill new holes to the aluminium box core, but that's fine.

Today I have also ordered the manufacturing of the frontal and back glass panels, and the supporting panel. The supporting panel is attached to the aluminium box by means of 4 10mm golden M3 extenders. I am afraid 4 attaching points wont be enough and I will see some bending. Alas, I can attach additional supports in the future in case its needed. Redesigning the case as new pieces arrive was my goal all along in order to correct for wrong assumptions during the design process.

Here you can see the 4 attaching points of the supporting plate:

image.png.8d492954742da3a9be16a3ced1a57223.png

image.png.e84e87ba1c305ba3f83f5a8b09226032.png

Bonus: I have also purchased a M32U Gigabyte monitor. It works great! I am eager to see how the 4090FE takes it.

image.thumb.png.23b615c69c8a2622c49184733563242d.png

Supporting plate and glass plates arrived, here I am testing assembly:

photo1709638159.jpeg

IO fits perfectly:
image.png.c50015aec9baf0015545bc3368f6041a.png

Supporting plate might need adjustments:

image.thumb.png.3034f3697bcba375af4dae994c4659b6.png

• 2 weeks later...

Threaded additional M4 holes in order to give strength to the IO side of the computer, took long because I had to order the tools for it:

image.jpeg.65fc3f871e51ce12ec6fed9e2cfa5ffd.jpeg

Here I am ensuring everything fits together nicely and no metal sheet suffers excessive bending:

image.jpeg.0bf347e37a6addb360d75c441befde2a.jpeg

I will surface-treat the metal sheet parts as soon as I can.