The most Hilarious/Terrifying way a hard drive died on me. or maybe not?

KezzaMcFezza

I woke up early in the morning to a terrifying noise that upon further inspection was my hard drive which i unplugged and just left it sitting on the floor and proceeded to go back to sleep.

But then i woke up tried plugging it in and works fine? anybody have an explanation for this happening lol

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Never heard a drive make a noise quite like that before, at least for a modern one. What drive specifically made that noise? Did you check the smart info? Most likely that noise was coming from the vcm.

8 hours ago, Ryker Robb said:

Never heard a drive make a noise quite like that before, at least for a modern one. What drive specifically made that noise? Did you check the smart info? Most likely that noise was coming from the vcm.

smart info reads fine which is kinda strange, when i was taking the hard drive out it felt like the motor was freaking out. Maybe it was because the computer was in sleep mode and the hard drive was receiving low voltage which was enough to attempt to spin the hard drive?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

8 hours ago, Chris stanfield said:

Was it secured in the tray properly 

yes it was been secured in that on spot for years but i think it was a sleep mode issue so ive backed up everything important and running it until it does it again

On 11/7/2023 at 11:05 PM, KezzaMcFezza said:

I woke up early in the morning to a terrifying noise that upon further inspection was my hard drive which i unplugged and just left it sitting on the floor and proceeded to go back to sleep.

But then i woke up tried plugging it in and works fine? anybody have an explanation for this happening lol

Wow...never heard that noise before...slow cracking...maybe...but this...is just WOW.

I have no idea what could be the problem.

You can, replace cables...sata and power cables...test drive with Crystal Mark I guess...

I heard that coffee's good for my sex life.

It isn't.

It kept me awake through the whole damn thing!

I actually had to participate.

- Jeff Dunham -