CPU Core Temps - Issue or Standard? (i9 13900k)

I've posted to this form before about high temps in FIFA23 and other intensive games. Since then, I have not found any solution other than simply not playing the games that cause these high temps (90-100c).

Before I take my PC back since I am still under warranty, I just want to know if it's specific to my machine or just a common issue amongst this CPU. I just ran a 3dMark Time Spy benchmark so take from this what you will. I understand what components it could be, I would just like to know what other people (the relatively uninitiated) would do in this scenario.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

8 minutes ago, lonerock said:

I've posted to this form before about high temps in FIFA23 and other intensive games. Since then, I have not found any solution other than simply not playing the games that cause these high temps (90-100c).

Before I take my PC back since I am still under warranty, I just want to know if it's specific to my machine or just a common issue amongst this CPU. I just ran a 3dMark Time Spy benchmark so take from this what you will. I understand what components it could be, I would just like to know what other people (the relatively uninitiated) would do in this scenario.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

CPU temperature needs more context than specific applications. If you have a software like HWinfo64 running in the background, it'll also include CPU wattage.

A 13900k at a sustained high wattage will run at those high of temperatures, since it'll draw in excess of 250W if you let it. If you do a Cinebench R23 all core run from cold and score markedly below what's expected, then there may be something resulting in high temperatures, otherwise, its likely that application has ridiculously high CPU usage.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

26 minutes ago, Agall said:

CPU temperature needs more context than specific applications. If you have a software like HWinfo64 running in the background, it'll also include CPU wattage.

A 13900k at a sustained high wattage will run at those high of temperatures, since it'll draw in excess of 250W if you let it. If you do a Cinebench R23 all core run from cold and score markedly below what's expected, then there may be something resulting in high temperatures, otherwise, its likely that application has ridiculously high CPU usage.

I just received a Cinebench Multi Core (I'm assuming this is what you meant by all core) score of 1825. I had Core Temp open and it showed 200-230W power usage and sustained temps of at least 90c.

How does your CPU gets cooled? Is it AIO, fan cooling? Or you didn't change it in your PC?

2 minutes ago, JustTaru said:

How does your CPU gets cooled? Is it AIO, fan cooling? Or you didn't change it in your PC?

• CoolerMaster ML240L AIO Liquid Cooler

Link to my PC. It's from Microcenter's prebuilt brand "PowerSpec". Nothing changed whatsoever from the product page.

3 minutes ago, lonerock said:
  • CoolerMaster ML240L AIO Liquid Cooler

Link to my PC. It's from Microcenter's prebuilt brand "PowerSpec". Nothing changed whatsoever from the product page.

Does your CPU throttle on these temps? You can check it in HWiINFO64. You should see your CPU lower it core speeds, power draw if it does throttle

57 minutes ago, lonerock said:

I just received a Cinebench Multi Core (I'm assuming this is what you meant by all core) score of 1825. I had Core Temp open and it showed 200-230W power usage and sustained temps of at least 90c.

Must be a different version of cinebench which is why I specify R23. Generally still the most used version and one that I think most people here are familiar with.

Sustaining 200-230W and reaching 90C is perfectly adequate. That's a lot of power draw either way which gives indication of a properly functioning heatsink. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017