System Hardware Reserved and Single Channel

image.thumb.png.24ff4a0dcfe3ba4e94cdeddf59f77c13.png

*After replacing the old cpu cooler, the OS does not recognize the ram installed on the left slot and when I checked CPU-Z, it shows that I am running on a single channel even though I installed two sticks of ram on both my ram slots. Is this an OS problem or perhaps my left ram slot is at fault? Also when I only put ram on the right ram slot it boots but when i put it on left, it does not boot.*

Sounds like a broken slot or an issue with the CPU's IMC. I assume it doesn't boot with memory only on the left slot, regardless of which stick is used?

Since this happened after a cooler swap, try reseating your CPU as a first step. Also check that no pins are bent.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Sounds like a broken slot or an issue with the CPU's IMC. I assume it doesn't boot with memory only on the left slot, regardless of which stick is used?

Since this happened after a cooler swap, try reseating your CPU as a first step. Also check that no pins are bent.

just checked and there's none. also regardless of which stick is used, yes. i got three sticks of ram here and tried each of them and none of it boots only when used in the left slot but when both slot used, it boots normally.

Just now, Yan Cy Carl said:

just checked and there's none. also regardless of which stick is used, yes. i got three sticks of ram here and tried each of them and none of it boots only when used in the left slot but when both slot used, it boots normally.

but with the memory hardware reserved problem and when checked on the cpu z, it displays single channel.

18 minutes ago, Yan Cy Carl said:

but with the memory hardware reserved problem and when checked on the cpu z, it displays single channel.

If it happens regardless of the memory stick and the CPU is making proper contact (i.e. no bent pins on socket/CPU), then the most likely cause would be an issue with the motherboard. Effectively one of your memory channels is dead, which is why the memory isn't available to the OS and also why it's running in single channel.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Reseat cpu

Spray the cpu socket and both ram slots with 99% isopropyl alchohol to clean and leave to dry for 2-4 hours