My New AMD CPU Doesn't Run at Boost Clock Speed

So, I've installed my new Ryzen 7 5800X recently and realized through several benchmarking tests to see how it compares to my old 3800X and the difference was very marginal. Turns out that the new processor is only running at a maximum 4.2GHz vs what it could achieve at 4.7Ghz. I've looked online for some solutions like enabling Precision Boost Overdrive and such and none so far have seemed to work. Also, Windows 11 task manager, my Asus motherboard BIOS, and some CPU information software also shows that the maximum speed it can achieve is only 4.2GHz. What can I do to fix this issue?

Screenshot(7).thumb.png.470f40baeedb5efe2e67f9fe79a21ff1.png

Maximum boost clocks are generally single core. So you'll only see that if a single core is used. All core boost is going to be lower.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

21 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Maximum boost clocks are generally single core. So you'll only see that if a single core is used. All core boost is going to be lower.

I'm running the benchmark shown in the screenshot as a single core run. I've looked at videos showing the same CPU running at 4.5GHz - 4.7GHz on a multi-core workload. Even though when I looked at AMD's website quoting "the maximum boost clock is the peak frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload" like you said.

Edit: as a side note this still doesn't explain why the clock speed is capped at 4.2GHz rather than 3.8Ghz or 4.7Ghz

look around the 4:00 mark.

Edited by HeathenMFG
Added information.

Maybe check temps, could be an issue with insufficient cooling. Does task manager show the other cores close to idle during the benchmark?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

What’s your cooling solution? What are temps like? Does your motherboard have sufficient VRMs and subsequent cooling? 

Even with PBO it might not reach full bore if your board has wimpy power delivery. The 5800X and it’s cousin the X3D need about 120W just to reach their base spec boost clocks. Overclocking, like your 4.7 all core goal, will require more. If you lost the silicon lottery it might never do 4.7.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Maybe check temps, could be an issue with insufficient cooling. Does task manager show the other cores close to idle during the benchmark?

Task manager shows that it's running the benchmark on the 8th core all other cores stay the same. Temps are fine under both single and multi-core load, maximum it reaches is 52 and 58 degrees respectively.

51 minutes ago, HeathenMFG said:

So, I've installed my new Ryzen 7 5800X recently and realized through several benchmarking tests to see how it compares to my old 3800X and the difference was very marginal. Turns out that the new processor is only running at a maximum 4.2GHz vs what it could achieve at 4.7Ghz. I've looked online for some solutions like enabling Precision Boost Overdrive and such and none so far have seemed to work. Also, Windows 11 task manager, my Asus motherboard BIOS, and some CPU information software also shows that the maximum speed it can achieve is only 4.2GHz. What can I do to fix this issue?

I agree with what the others say. Try downloading HWinfo64 and run sensors only while running cinebench for 10 min. Clocks should be similar to this if temps are good:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/21.html

boost-clock-analysis.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

What’s your cooling solution? What are temps like? Does your motherboard have sufficient VRMs and subsequent cooling? 

Even with PBO it might not reach full bore if your board has wimpy power delivery. The 5800X and it’s cousin the X3D need about 120W just to reach their base spec boost clocks. Overclocking, like your 4.7 all core goal, will require more. If you lost the silicon lottery it might never do 4.7.

the CPU is water cooled with a 360mm Rad'. I have an Asus ROG Strix B550-A motherboard which in turn should deliver enough power for the CPU to reach near its maximum boost clock. Temps are nominal also.

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

True. 5800X reaches 175W on full load

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/19.html

power-multithread.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I agree with what the others say. Try downloading HWinfo64 and run sensors only while running cinebench for 10 min. Clocks should be similar to this if temps are good:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/21.html

boost-clock-analysis.png

These graphs show the processers boost clock that it should reach, correct? Mine is being capped at 4.2GHz and is staying completely flat on that core clock. And on that site, it shows on CPU-Z the boost clock is at 4.6GHz while mine says 4.2GHz.

4 minutes ago, HeathenMFG said:

My motherboard can reach a maximum of 210W.

What motherboard ya got? Also, try updating the BIOS on the motherboard or update chipset drivers. If temps is ok, then 4.4ghz or something like that in cinebench seem to be the norm.

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

What motherboard ya got? Also, try updating the BIOS on the motherboard or update chipset drivers

It's an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING motherboard. The bios is updated to the latest version I haven't tried updated the chipset software and will try that now.

12 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What motherboard ya got? Also, try updating the BIOS on the motherboard or update chipset drivers. If temps is ok, then 4.4ghz or something like that in cinebench seem to be the norm.

Updating the chipset didn't change anything and I'm not even getting 4.4GHz. My previous processer was the same way, running a 3700X, but I haven't realized this issue till I've installed this new one.

32 minutes ago, HeathenMFG said:

Updating the chipset didn't change anything and I'm not even getting 4.4GHz. My previous processer was the same way, running a 3700X, but I haven't realized this issue till I've installed this new one.

Did you turn on pbo in the bios?

Might want to reset to defaults there once to see if that does anything. Just make sure to apply the correct xmp profile again after doing that for your ram.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

Did you turn on pbo in the bios?

Might want to reset to defaults there once to see if that does anything. Just make sure to apply the correct xmp profile again after doing that for your ram.

PBO is enabled and Along with XMP. Resetting the bios and setting it up the way it was prior yields the same issue.