Internet but no Internet

war4sure

So I have this annoying issue with my internet that is really getting to me right now.

My computer says I have Internet. Indeed, I can fire up Firefox and opened like 16 tabs; half of it being YouTube and browse around just fine. Even able to stream my favourite music on Spotify or checking Whatsapp through the browser.

The same can't be said for Steam. I can start it up and log in normally, but it's been a few days now and I can't play some of my favourite games because they're all stuck in an endless loop of updates that couldn't be downloaded either due to "No Internet connection" or "Manifest Unavailable". And it wasn't just Steam, both the Spotify and Whatsapp app on Windows were also affected by it.

I've tried every trick in the book to get it working, from disabling Firewall to "netsh winsock reset" to even doing the network reset but it still won't work. So what do I have to do now?

Is Steam the only application that's having this issue? Also, where are you located? Is this your personal home internet where you have access to network equipment? Do you have a spare device that you can test on or see if this is an issue with your PC or the network itself? 

Simplest troubleshooting step would be to clear the download cache on Steam.  

image.png.9299db2dd13affe8ad4bdbabdbf4b96d.png

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

7 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Is Steam the only application that's having this issue?  

Spotify app as well as Whatsapp were also having that issue. But only the app. As I mentioned, using Spotify and Whatsapp in the browser worked fine.

Also I tried your solution, and it didn't worked.

4 minutes ago, war4sure said:

Spotify app as well as Whatsapp were also having that issue. But only the app. As I mentioned, using Spotify and Whatsapp in the browser worked fine.

Also I tried your solution, and it didn't worked.

Interesting. Can you answer the question whether this is our own network? Did anything change in the network? Is there any chance you are double NATed? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

7 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Interesting. Can you answer the question whether this is our own network? Did anything change in the network? Is there any chance you are double NATed? 

It is my home network, and there wasn't any changes at all although I used a powerline adapter while everyone else uses WiFi.

About the double NAT, I had no idea if that was the case.

2 hours ago, war4sure said:

It is my home network, and there wasn't any changes at all although I used a powerline adapter while everyone else uses WiFi.

About the double NAT, I had no idea if that was the case.

A more simple way to ask if you have a double NAT is: Do you have more than one device that acts as a router?

For example: Many homes have some all in one modem/router/wifi device from their ISP, and then they put their own wifi/router in front of that, but they don't put one of the two devices in AP/bridge mode. That causes Network Address Translation stuff (NAT) to happen twice, which can cause issues in specific situations.

I personally have a triple NAT between 2x ISPs with NAT I can't disable > Edgerouter must have NAT for ISP failover to work > Wifi mesh that I can't disable router/NAT mode on, and I don't have issues, but I also don't have unique or a bunch of internet uses.

19 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

A more simple way to ask if you have a double NAT is: Do you have more than one device that acts as a router?

Technically there was one, a TP-Link Deco. But it was more or less used as a glorified WiFi repeater since it was connected to the router, not the modem