Corsair Link 4000D Build (1st build in 10 yrs :) - With mistakes and takeaways

J-PixL

I have a long history with computers dating back to when I was 10 years old in the late '90s. My earliest computer-building memory involves assembling a 486 DX-33, which I pieced together from components salvaged from various computers at an auction. I used to have a computer business but stopped doing computers about 15 years ago and due to working away from home only had Laptops since. The most recent computer I remember building was a 'barebones' system in the 2010s, featuring an FX-6100 processor, so fair to say I had doubts I would be able to build a new computer with the changes over the last 15 ytrs.

For this build, I had a specific vision in mind — I wanted an all-white setup and planned to incorporate the new Corsair Link components. Since I mainly use my computer to play Fortnite with my 10yr old, I was aiming for a constant 165fps. I soon discovered that all components especially MB and GPU's with white accents were in short supply in Australia, which led to some changes in my parts list and some reflections on the process.

Here's a breakdown of the components I used:

Case: Corsair X4000D (Initially, I thought it used Link fans, but it turned out it didn't, and I wish I had chosen the Lian-Li 216 for this reason.)

CPU: Ryzen 7700X (as there were no 7600X processors in stock)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A Gaming (a bit overkill, but it was the only non-basic white-accented board available)

RAM: Corsair Dominator 32GB 6000 CL36

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4060 Aero with a Cooler Master 300mm riser extension (the only other choice for a 3-fan in white under $1000AUD was a Colorful 3060 😞)

Cooling: Corsair Link 120mm x4 fans and a Link 240mm AIO cooler

HDD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

PSU: Gigabyte 750W with white extensions

Now, the negatives and the positives of the build:

Negatives:

-The Corsair 4000D case doesn't come with Link fans as I initially thought.

-When I purchased the 240mm AIO cooler, the 360mm pack, and a single 120mm Link fan, I ended up with an extra controller and was one cable short, having to go back the next day to buy x1 cable

-Corsair RAM sucks!, multiple times, ICUE didn't recognize one or all of the modules, (in terms of lighting) - Windows always recognized all.

-Initially, I didn't consider using a PCI-E riser, but after a few days and seeing the spot in the case, I bought to a 300mm Cooler Master riser (no white 200mm in my state!). I found that the holes not lining up in the case so I had to create a support for it using foam.

Positives:

-The computer posted successfully on the first boot 🙂 🙂 

-It has an all-white aesthetic.

In total, I ended up spending about $300 extra on Link fans and an upgraded motherboard, making the total cost approximately $2500 AUD. The best part was that I didn't encounter any major issues, and the computer posted successfully on the first attempt!

**** Pics before and after riser install ****

20231101_223415.thumb.jpg.61529c8b049dcb76263bcc5eb5f691c0.jpg20231101_222852.thumb.jpg.eb2d9d4fea7cba3a1ddf12f1fc3f8d96.jpg20231027_213659.thumb.jpg.ac41a04d080eb1c21c4b6d7526b45594.jpg

1 hour ago, JoeyButterhands said:

That's a gorgeous build. Makes my 4000D build look like trash

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback, only thing left is waiting for a shorter riser cable. the one i bought was wayyy to long!

2 hours ago, J-PixL said:

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback, only thing left is waiting for a shorter riser cable. the one i bought was wayyy to long!

How are you liking the Link fans? Been thinking about going with them for a build I'm getting ready to do, but having a hard time with the price and figuring out what exactly I'll need cable wise. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

How are you liking the Link fans? Been thinking about going with them for a build I'm getting ready to do, but having a hard time with the price and figuring out what exactly I'll need cable wise. 

The Link system is an awesome idea, way cleaner and easier. the hub picks up the pump and the fans straight away and treats them as individual items. ICUE displays some good data like individual fan speed and temps. Only thing going against it is the price.

With regards to cables, the packs (2/3 fans or AIO's) only have cables for them to work on their own, if you're adding a single fan or splitting the packs (not attaching all fans together) you're going to need extra cables - hope that helps

Screenshot2023-11-02050902.thumb.png.8d7ae46283865ef494486af81e5bf43f.png