Rig to draw 1000 watt or more with one component

mikenigro

So, I know this question may sound dumb and I know it is, but I need some suggestion to build something, even multiple pcs to draw more than 1000 watt, obviously in the cheapest way possible, I was reading some articles about a 1080ti with custom bios drawing 1200w but maybe there is a simpler way with newer cards ? Thanks for the help!

What is this for? Are you just trying to waste alot of energy or something?

I dont know if you can draw more than 1000 watts with one component unless you do extreme overclocking or something like that.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

A component drawing a certain amount of power is never the goal, it's an unfortunate side effect of wanting to reach higher performance. It's like saying you want your car to use a certain amount of fuel per distance, rather than it reaching a certain speed.

Components convert energy into heat with virtually 100% efficiency, so if your GPU draws 1000W of power, it'll also generate 1000W worth of heat. The PSU side of things is not really the problem, cooling that beast will be. You're unlikely to reach such heights without extreme overclocking and LN2 cooling. So it's not remotely practical for everyday usage.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 minutes ago, mikenigro said:

I was reading some articles about a 1080ti with custom bios drawing 1200w

Those are on LN2. At ambient temperatures there is no single component that can draw 1000W. The closest would be a shunt modded 3090 (Ti), those are somewhere around 800-900W, but they require custom water cooling to have a shot at keeping below TJMax. 

Why are you trying to do this anyway? 

a space heater is probably your most cost-effective way of drawing upwards of 1000 watts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 8:17 AM, manikyath said:

a space heater is probably your most cost-effective way of drawing upwards of 1000 watts.

That could be it if it has some sort of chip to attach it to.

On 11/1/2023 at 6:43 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Those are on LN2. At ambient temperatures there is no single component that can draw 1000W. The closest would be a shunt modded 3090 (Ti), those are somewhere around 800-900W, but they require custom water cooling to have a shot at keeping below TJMax. 

Why are you trying to do this anyway? 

I was tasked to come up with something by a friend that is trying to patent a cooling system