Has Intel/AMD responded this contact plate issue?

Guanzo
12 minutes ago, Guanzo said:

why they didn't change newer motherboards with this style installation?

Ease of use. Making sure people can put their PC together with minimal risk is a huge part of socket design, as otherwise you'll get a bunch of RMAs for CPUs and motherboards which no company would enjoy. These brackets require completely exposing your socket which makes for easy chances you jab some pins by mistake if you don't know what you're doing. 

The only CPUs I've seen sold with similarly risky mounting methods are... Threadripper and EPYC CPUs I believe, where they plop onto the socket and then you screw it down on top of them, they even include a little torque wrench for this. I believe Intel has used similar on their enterprise stuff as well. These are cases where you either know what you're doing, or have hired someone who does, so AMD/Intel don't have to worry about the average joe bungling it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

First, the contact frames for AM5 are of dubious value. They remove at best a couple of degrees if you are using a Ryzen 9 with a high-end cooler. Outside of that specific case, they do nothing at all to reduce temperatures. They frankly aren't worth the time to install, let alone the cost to buy them.

As for why Intel hasn't improved the LGA1700 mounting system, it's likely a combination of the aforementioned ease-of-use and not wanting to deal with the costs of redesigning the retention mechanism. At best, they would add a second retention arm like they used to have on HEDT chips, but they probably figure it's not worth the effort.

Yes, with Intel, you can see thermal improvements all the way down the stack with a contact frame, but the thing is, it only really matters for the top tier parts. You aren't going to get thermal throttling with an i5 using a mid-range cooler if you don't use a contact frame. Yes, a contact frame would reduce the temperature, but it won't improve performance in-and-of-itself. They would be investing in a complete redesign for a minority of their users.

My guess is, if Intel is going to do anything, it'll be with the next generation of boards for Meteor Lake. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the dual retention arms to even out the pressure. However, I can pretty much guarantee that they are not going to go with a contact frame style solution - it's just not consumer friendly enough.