Personally, I've been having fun with it

Weapons feel nice, movement is cool, i enjoy the ship building

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

1 hour ago, IKEA Cherry Chair said:

I'm wondering what this community's thoughts on the almost-garfield game are

Personally, I've been having fun with it

Weapons feel nice, movement is cool, i enjoy the ship building

I hate the ship building, such a clunky interface.  I don't understand why the components aren't sorted by types, damage, etc like your normal inventory is.  Its hard to figure out which is the best you can equip to your current ship.  Why can't I just select the current part and it show me a list of compatible parts with comparisons in their stats?

I do however quite enjoy ship combat and the rest of the game.  It definitely feels like something between Fallout 4 and Skyrim in space, and it suffers a lot of the drawbacks of those games too, for better or worse.  The companion system specifically is really broken and the fact they still haven't figured how to stop NPCs talking over each other or repeating the same things over and over.

I wish it had been more ambitious but I certainly feels its an evolution (while not a revolution) over their previous games.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I hate the ship building, such a clunky interface.  I don't understand why the components aren't sorted by types, damage, etc like your normal inventory is.  Its hard to figure out which is the best you can equip to your current ship.  Why can't I just select the current part and it show me a list of compatible parts with comparisons in their stats?

I do however quite enjoy ship combat and the rest of the game.  It definitely feels like something between Fallout 4 and Skyrim in space, and it suffers a lot of the drawbacks of those games too, for better or worse.  The companion system specifically is really broken and the fact they still haven't figured how to stop NPCs talking over each other or repeating the same things over and over.

I wish it had been more ambitious but I certainly feels its an evolution (while not a revolution) over their previous games.

It definitely feels clunky, the biggest drawback by far, but the rest of the game I can describe like this

It takes elements like gunplay from FO4/76, and quest style of Skyrim, and builds upon that in the best way I think they could've

Certainly a step up from their last 2 games (taking modern 76 into consideration, NOT launch 76.)

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

so far, i have put a lot of time into this game, and thoroughly enjoy it. definitely some complaints, and missed opportunities i hope they address in the future to make it even better. the obvious are things like bugs/glitches(like no ship tech at neon docks, or it being considered hostile to kill a pirate if they are using a stolen uc ship, ect.), other smaller bugs with dialogue, or not being able to find the ecs constant after a while. some missed stuff is i wish there was more main faction content, maybe they will add more via dlc in the future though, i wish the main quest-line was longer as well(i doubt this will be changed). also a few things as far as ship combat that would have been really cool imo, like being able to be boarded, like if the pirates disabled your drives and boarded you, you would have to defend or be killed, that would also make planning out your ship's interior much more fun since it would actually matter. or being able to assign different weapon systems to crew members for combat. would also be a much needed qol update(imo) if they would change the vendors max cash, maybe tie it to lvl or perks even, can't stand waiting like 80 days total just to sell off adaptive frames from power lvl'ing lol.

I'm about 96h in at level 52 right now and really enjoying it. 

I've been doing about every side quest/faction quest I can before finishing up the main story line, and I still don't feel like I'm nearing the end.

The ship building has been a ton of fun, but a bit clunky. I do have some troubles getting the components to connect where I want them to and tend to get ladders in places where I don't want them. Then again maybe I just suck at it. It's also worth noting that I'm playing on a 32:9 monitor and the ship building and planet maps were not designed to use that aspect ratio, my selection point and curser are offset by probably six inches, so selecting specific things is a challenge. When I drop it down to 16:9 like a normal person, the problem goes away, but I like the added width, so I struggle through it.

I also get annoyed by the vendors having such a low amount of credits, I get that they wanted to slow down payer progression, but sitting and waiting for 48h to sell one last case of human organs gets a bit old. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm about 96h in at level 52 right now and really enjoying it. 

I've been doing about every side quest/faction quest I can before finishing up the main story line, and I still don't feel like I'm nearing the end.

The ship building has been a ton of fun, but a bit clunky. I do have some troubles getting the components to connect where I want them to and tend to get ladders in places where I don't want them. Then again maybe I just suck at it. It's also worth noting that I'm playing on a 32:9 monitor and the ship building and planet maps were not designed to use that aspect ratio, my selection point and curser are offset by probably six inches, so selecting specific things is a challenge. When I drop it down to 16:9 like a normal person, the problem goes away, but I like the added width, so I struggle through it.

I also get annoyed by the vendors having such a low amount of credits, I get that they wanted to slow down payer progression, but sitting and waiting for 48h to sell one last case of human organs gets a bit old. 

I'm like level 9 but stopped having time to play after getting a puppy that needs to be constantly watched.  At least for 6 or so months.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I've played about 25 hours & am at Level 16. It's pretty decent & there have been some fun sidequests like the Ryujin quest chain, but honestly, the game itself feels a bit underwhelming. It honestly feels like for everything it does better than Fallout 4 there's one or two things it does worse. Sure, there are more roleplay opportunities & character creation is solid, but (ironically for a game about exploring an entire galaxy) it feels more barren and empty than any other BGS game I've played, the main story has been very mid, the game just feels poorly optimized & I sorely felt the lack of native DLSS support before I modded it in.

I'll probably still finish it sooner rather than later, but I probably won't stick around much longer than past finishing the main story if things don't improve. I'm also playing through Alan Wake II, Phantom Liberty, RE4 Remake & Baldur's Gate 3 though, so we'll see how long that ends up taking...

Right now it's about a 6/10 for me.

Gaming Machines: 

PC:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4 CL16 RAM

(Currently Relevant) Consoles: 

• PS5 Disc Edition
  • Xbox One, One S & One X
  • OG PS4 & PS4 Pro
  • Original Nintendo Switch & Switch OLED

Development Machine/Primary Laptop: 14 inch MacBook Pro (8/14 Core M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB Storage)

Secondary Laptop for Linux use: Asus X540SA (Intel Pentium N3700 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Manjaro Linux)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 280 hours according to steam, have started 3 characters, 2 of them I'm using console commands to just have fun building stuff, my "real" play through character is now at level 122. And I'm still having fun with it but not sure how much longer that will last.  I'm starting to run out of side quests.  Once they are all gone I probably won't play it any more until the first DLC drops.

Review:

Really enjoying the ship building, somewhat annoying that you can't save a half built ship even if it isn't your home ship, so you have to put parts on to make it work just to exit the builder and move to a different star yard for the parts you want, then remove those parts to add the ones you want.  Would be nice to have better control over where internal passageways are formed when you snap habs together.  The interface is a bit clunky but I got used to it pretty fast and can build ships pretty fast, I must have 15 different designs fully built out and optimized now.

I usually love base building but not in this game, some aspects are OK but it all just seems unfinished. Stuff like not being able to connect a hab to a landing pad is just dumb.  Transfer containers are useless if you want to use them for more than one or 2 items.  Biggest complaint is that outposts just don't do that much for you, there are way better ways to make money, and you can buy the resources you need for research and equipment upgrades...  I've built a base for XP farming (making tens of thousands of frames and magnets for 1 XP point each), and a landing pad to make ship building slightly easier.  Some of the decoration and other "fun" stuff that would make base building better is locked behind skill points and research, so on a normal play through you're not going to waste XP on those when there are way more important areas to use your skill points. 

Random exploration will get boring once you've done enough of it, once you've been to all the procedurally generated bases a few times you'll know the layout of them all and it gets boring.  Landing on planet outposts will get you the occasional quest but those get repetitive real fast, you'll be finding a lost person or putting down sensors.  Best way to play seems to be to spend 25% of your time on the main quest, and the rest just walking around cities, talking to people in buildings, basically picking up side quests.  A lot of those side quests will be simple stuff but some get pretty interesting.  And read all the books and slates you find, you'll get side quests from some of them as well.  There's also the companion backstory quests, I've done 3 out of the 4 and they have been pretty good. 

As for new game plus, meh, it's basically starting a new game but you keep your skill points, you still have to build a better ship.  Well, I guess you don't HAVE to build a better one but why keep a subpar ship when you can build a Class C that is far better.  I do like the space suit you get at NG+4.