G4x4 on G3x4 performance?

Would a Gen 4x4 NVMe M.2 drive work faster than a native Gen 3x4 NMVe M.2 on a Gen 3x4 socket?

(Taking into account they are designed to transfer data at speeds above the 3.94GB/s of Gen 3x4).

Original:

¿Funcionaría más rápido una unidad M.2 NVMe Gen 4x4 que una nativa Gen 3x4 en un zócalo Gen 3x4?

(Teniendo en cuenta que están diseñadas para transferir datos a velocidades superiores a los 3,94GB/s de Gen 3x4).

Just now, Fan de LTT said:

Would a Gen 4x4 NVMe M.2 drive work faster than a native Gen 3x4 NMVe M.2 on a Gen 3x4 socket?

Not necessarily, performance does not just depend on the NVME transfer speed.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Fan de LTT said:

No. I did do some testing for it a while back to prove a point (you can probably find it if you look long enough, screenshots were posted on here), and the Gen 4 drives topped out at the same ~3.5GB/s that everything else does. 

2 minutes ago, Fan de LTT said:

(Taking into account they are designed to transfer data at speeds above the 3.94GB/s of Gen 3x4).

Original:

¿Funcionaría más rápido una unidad M.2 NVMe Gen 4x4 que una nativa Gen 3x4 en un zócalo Gen 3x4?

(Teniendo en cuenta que están diseñadas para transferir datos a velocidades superiores a los 3,94GB/s de Gen 3x4).

Nope, just like GPU, it will use the lowest supported standard.

Gen 4x4 SSD will use the lower Gen 3x4 communication protocol instead.

Same applies if you plug a Gen 3x4 drive into a Gen 4x4 slot

3 hours ago, Fan de LTT said:

It's strangely constructed question.

Top of the line PCIE 4.0 SSD, will be faster, then top of the line PCIe 3.0 SSD (as 2 generation of SSD controller, and NAND will do the the work ) even in PCIe 3.0 slot. 
But the sequential speeds will be similar, as both are capped on PCIE 3.0 x4.

Only in CPU M.2 slot, you could see the 4.0 gen one, do over 3500MBps

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

23 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

Gen 4x4 SSD will use the lower Gen 3x4 communication protocol instead.

Are actually the R/W speed limits imposed by the NVMe protocol?

I thinked the R/W speed limits are imposed by both the bus specification and the controller capabilities with the operation of the device done at the slowest of the two.

In a highway designed to drive up to 400KMH~249.6MPH a Hennessey Venom F5 (rated 300MPH~483KMH) could reach more easily the speed limit of the medium -with and ample room of near 83KMH extra speed- than a Ford GT40 Mk I (rated 187MPH~301KMH) that does not even approach -lacking 99KMH to match the maximum speed limit design of the highway in example-. (To explain my point).

11 minutes ago, Fan de LTT said:

Are actually the R/W speed limits imposed by the NVMe protocol?

I thinked the R/W speed limits are imposed by both the bus specification and the controller capabilities with the operation of the device done at the slowest of the two.

In a highway designed to drive up to 400KMH~249.6MPH a Hennessey Venom F5 (rated 300MPH~483KMH) could reach more easily the speed limit of the medium -with and ample room of near 83KMH extra speed- than a Ford GT40 Mk I (rated 187MPH~301KMH) that does not even approach -lacking 99KMH to match the maximum speed limit design of the highway in example-. (To explain my point).

Nope R/W are more limited by the Dram chips themselves. PCIe 3.0x4 are fast enough that most  drives are not going to use all the bandwidth.

(Plus most PC R/W are random read/write anyway)

And it's also limited by heat too... this is one of the main reasion you don't see any PCIe 5.0 SSDs yet

20 hours ago, kokosnh said:

It's strangely constructed question.

I'm not a native English speaker. 😊

Only in CPU M.2 slot, you could see the 4.0 gen one, do over 3500MBps

That is my guess but extended to any Gen 4x4 M.2 socket in the board (as long as enough PCIe 3.0 lines are available for all the M.2 sockets to let them work with 4 PCIe 3.0 lines).

28 minutes ago, Fan de LTT said:

I'm not a native English speaker. 😊

That is my guess but extended to any Gen 4x4 M.2 socket in the board (as long as enough PCIe 3.0 lines are available for all the M.2 sockets to let them work with 4 PCIe 3.0 lines).

To be honest, unless you do continuous transfer a lot like editing videos. It won't have a perceivable difference. (I don't feel any difference between a 256GB Adata S11 Pro or one of the fastest WD SN850X)

14 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

To be honest, unless you do continuous transfer a lot like editing videos. It won't have a perceivable difference. (I don't feel any difference between a 256GB Adata S11 Pro or one of the fastest WD SN850X)

The main purpose, at least in my case, in using a Gen 4x4 NVMe M.2 on a Gen 3x4 socket is to get some extra performance from time to time in the appropiate tasks that benefits from the higher speed specs of the Gen 4 drive avoiding a full system renovation, with whose general performance I am satisfied with and, at the same time, to take advantage of some good prices of Gen 4 units in local stores.

Obviously, at no time do I intend that the Gen 4 units work as such in Gen 3 sockets. 😅