Instructions, good book or online course on home network build and security

AD.the.coder

Hi,

I have a large 2 store house plus a separate office unit near the main house.

I wish to have WiFi throughout the house and in the office, currently I have DECO mesh system that gives me a unified network so that when you move through the property you don't have to connect to a different network.

The house has concrete wall so I had to install multiple DECO units, plus the speed in the office's DECO unit is less than a quarter of what the main DECO unit gives over WiFi since it is the fifth unit in the chain of units that had to be deployed to do it all wirelessly (I am open to the option of a wired Ethernet cables addition as long as I can still have a unified WiFi network).

So basically I have to questions:

1. How can I have a secure network? I read somewhere that you need a thing called a firewall; is there a possibility of having a very strongly secured WiFi network, or are cables the only way?

2. What is the wright way to wire a house if there are no built in channels in the walls for networking, since it is an old house?

I would prefer if someone can give me an answer with all the instructions and suggestions it would be much appreciated :)

If it is better to read a book or take an online course on the subject please recommend me on such a book or course...

Thanks.

It all depends on the budget. 

I personally would for example get an UDM Pro from Ubiquiti, then a matching POE Switch with enough ports that you need, and a bunch of APs same brand. 

all is managed on the UDM Pro, which in itself is a firewall and router as well. 

The configuration is a different matter, and to be done when everything is set up. (VLANs, Firewall, Wifi Networks etc.)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

If your house has COAX you can use MOCA adapters (110$ per pair on amazon) to do wired backhaul to deco units.

Powerline is another option but can be fairly limited in speed and if you have any 'noisy' devices it can get a little iffy.

Depending on your gen of deco they should support Ethernet backhaul via a direct ethernet cable to the base router or via one of the methods above.

You don't need a firewall as any device that needs one will have a software firewall and anything else just doesn't require one.

Your router and modem already are "firewalls" in a way as they control all traffic through ports.

Make sure you have a good wifi password, and keep your software up to date.

your not a bank you don't need a 3000$ firewall.

No one is trying to hack into your network, the basics of home internet security are as follows,

good passwords (Different ones for different things)

up to date software (windows/computers, wifi routers, smart-anything)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

If your house has COAX you can use MOCA adapters (110$ per pair on amazon) to do wired backhaul to deco units.

Powerline is another option but can be fairly limited in speed and if you have any 'noisy' devices it can get a little iffy.

Depending on your gen of deco they should support Ethernet backhaul via a direct ethernet cable to the base router or via one of the methods above.

You don't need a firewall as any device that needs one will have a software firewall and anything else just doesn't require one.

Your router and modem already are "firewalls" in a way as they control all traffic through ports.

Make sure you have a good wifi password, and keep your software up to date.

your not a bank you don't need a 3000$ firewall.

No one is trying to hack into your network, the basics of home internet security are as follows,

good passwords (Different ones for different things)

up to date software (windows/computers, wifi routers, smart-anything)

That seems reasonable but I don't have coax in my walls, what about regular rj45 cables with outlets mounted on the wall...

I've seen some diy on YouTube but I wasn't sure if it was the wright way.

Can I connect a switch when I use the backhaul so that I get connection for pc with no Wi-Fi before sending awire to the next unit of deco?