PC boots with no video signal

Go to solution Solved by Moesby_DK,

Last update, I ended up buying a new Graphics card and now everything works. From now on I'm running an MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 2X E 12G OC

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me 

Sometimes my pc boots to windows without a video signal, it shows the post on screens when power on and show the spinning Wheel when starting windows, then showing a black backlit screen and playing a broken windows logon sound. I can logon to windows and shut down the pc without the screen showing anything, so windows works. Normally I use the reset button and it boots after 2-3 tries. Sometimes it happens every day when I boot the pc, other times it can work a week without any troubles. I have tried to put something under the GPU to support it, but that did not change anything. I always have the latest GPU drivers from GeForce Experience. When I get it to boot, it runs without any problems and the GPU preforms as expected. I have tried display driver uninstaller, that did not change anything. I have had the problem for over 1 year now.

My system is:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 GAMING
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
2 * G.Skill 16GB PC4-28800 DDR4 RAM

ADATA SX8200PNP 2TB NVMe SSD

Running Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64) Build 22635.2486

I have a video of the problem ( Don't ask about the turtle !! )

Jan 

Edited by Moesby_DK
Forgot something

37 minutes ago, Moesby_DK said:

Sometimes my pc boots to windows without a video signal, it shows the post on screens when power on and show the spinning Wheel when starting windows, then showing a black backlit screen and playing a broken windows logon sound. I can logon to windows and shut down the pc without the screen showing anything, so windows works. Normally I use the reset button and it boots after 2-3 tries. Sometimes it happens every day when I boot the pc, other times it can work a week without any troubles. I have tried to put something under the GPU to support it, but that did not change anything. I always have the latest GPU drivers from GeForce Experience. When I get it to boot, it runs without any problems and the GPU preforms as expected. I have tried display driver uninstaller, that did not change anything. I have had the problem for over 1 year now.

My system is:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 GAMING
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
2 * G.Skill 16GB PC4-28800 DDR4 RAM

ADATA SX8200PNP 2TB NVMe SSD

Running Microsoft Windows 11 Home (x64) Build 22635.2486

I have a video of the problem ( Don't ask about the turtle !! )

Jan 

Hej Jan,

Have you tried running this firmware update? Boot with HDMI only and run the update.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownloads/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/uefi/firmware/1.1/NVIDIA_DisplayID_Firmware_Updater_1.1-x64.exe&firmware=1&lang=us&type=Other

image.png.94f3b2bb0a7b1d375b618115d7f357a0.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

15 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I have just run the tool, and I don't think it changed anything, it says "Already updated", right now it reboots without any problems, but it usaly does that when first it get running. I wonder if it is only when the pc is cold it fails, I will have an eye on that !?

I will replay back in some days if it worked or not 

image.png.be3cd52887c9481f1d25bf7f7d153762.png

1 minute ago, Moesby_DK said:

I have just run the tool, and I don't think it changed anything, it says "Already updated", right now it reboots without any problems, but it usaly does that when first it get running. I wonder if it is only when the pc is cold it fails, I will have an eye on that !?

I will replay back in some days if it worked or not 

Then it haven't done anything. Are you running secure boot? Also have you tried to disable auto input signal switching on the monitors and instead manually selecting DP or HDMI? 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

8 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Then it haven't done anything. Are you running secure boot? Also have you tried to disable auto input signal switching on the monitors and instead manually selecting DP or HDMI? 

Secure boot is off, is that wrong??

I will change my 3 displays away from auto input, I will wait some days and tell if it worked or not

3 minutes ago, Moesby_DK said:

Secure boot is off, is that wrong??

I will change my 3 displays away from auto input, I will wait some days and tell if it worked or not

Nope its ok as long as CSM is also off (legacy boot)

FS in Denmark/EU:

Did you try to disconnect the other 2 monitors from the gpu to see if it works?

I have a feeling it might be something wrong with the gpu

16 minutes ago, SansNation said:

I will try unplugging my 2 extra monitors and return with the result later in the week, as I wrote earlier, when first I'm in windows I can reboot without any problems

20 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Manually selecting the input signal did not help anything

19 hours ago, SansNation said:

This may have helped, after the first failed boot I unplugged my left end right monitor (both HDMI, center is DP) and it bootet with no problems. Sometimes it boots without problems so I will see how things work out when we reach the weekend. On a side note, the RGB did not turn on at my GPU this time, but my Motherboard still looks like a Christmas tree, is that a sign off a bad Graphics card ?

On 10/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, Moesby_DK said:

Manually selecting the input signal did not help anything

This may have helped, after the first failed boot I unplugged my left end right monitor (both HDMI, center is DP) and it bootet with no problems. Sometimes it boots without problems so I will see how things work out when we reach the weekend. On a side note, the RGB did not turn on at my GPU this time, but my Motherboard still looks like a Christmas tree, is that a sign off a bad Graphics card ?

Might be a sign of a bad graphics card, or the power supply is not delivering enough power to the gpu somehow?

I know that asus motherboard and gpu are not that good because a lot of it can be defective, for example i bought an asus rog maximus xiii hero and I'm having usb over current protection (thinking it might be the chip that controlls the usb is defective.)

1 hour ago, SansNation said:

Might be a sign of a bad graphics card, or the power supply is not delivering enough power to the gpu somehow?

I know that asus motherboard and gpu are not that good because a lot of it can be defective, for example i bought an asus rog maximus xiii hero and I'm having usb over current protection (thinking it might be the chip that controlls the usb is defective.)

Ok, taking out the connectors for the 2 extra monitors didn't help, it just did the blank screen on me after I had unplugged the 2 screens before booting, this is driving me crazy 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm posting this now, I've been busy.

Then it might be a sign of a defective GPU, I think you should try taking out the GPU and connect through the back of the motherboard to your display to check if it does the same thing.

-if it still does it, it might be something in the BIOS or The operating system Windows.

-if it doesn't, it might the the GPU, although it ahs been 1 year with this problem you probably got a defective GPU or it was long enough for the weight to probably damage something.

16 hours ago, SansNation said:

Sorry I'm posting this now, I've been busy.

Then it might be a sign of a defective GPU, I think you should try taking out the GPU and connect through the back of the motherboard to your display to check if it does the same thing.

-if it still does it, it might be something in the BIOS or The operating system Windows.

-if it doesn't, it might the the GPU, although it ahs been 1 year with this problem you probably got a defective GPU or it was long enough for the weight to probably damage something.

In the last week I have tried other cables to my monitors, updated my bios and chipset drivers and moved my gpu one slot down, my next try is to swap my 3070 gpu to a 1050TI which I have lying around, but going down to a 1050 really hurts 😩

true, but at least something until you will get a new gpu then not being able to use the computer because the Ryzen 7 5800X doesn't have integrated gpu.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:53 AM, Moesby_DK said:

In the last week I have tried other cables to my monitors, updated my bios and chipset drivers and moved my gpu one slot down, my next try is to swap my 3070 gpu to a 1050TI which I have lying around, but going down to a 1050 really hurts 😩

Does the graphics card always output in BIOS, but not Windows when it's acting up?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Does the graphics card always output in BIOS, but not Windows when it's acting up?

Yes, I always have the post screen, it is only in windows it shows the blanch screen 

• 4 weeks later...

Last update, I ended up buying a new Graphics card and now everything works. From now on I'm running an MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 2X E 12G OC

On 12/10/2023 at 9:46 AM, Moesby_DK said:

It's sad that in the end it was the gpu, but atleast you upgraded to a new gpu.