Weird GPU reset issue caused by power extension cables?

ivanrcks95
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

It's possible. When you add length and extensions it adds more resistance for the current. Some psu's will use 16awg cabling on higher end psus and most extensions are 18awg which increases resistance even more. You're already doing the right thing by testing directly into your PSU bypassing the extensions to test this. If it does resolve, then don't use the extensions and order full replacement cables for your PSU from a reputable manufacture. 

Really weird issue has been happening to my GPU over the past few days. The screen would randomly go blank, and the PC would be unresponsive, forcefully shutting down the PC and powering it on again would bring me back to windows, but the GPU driver would be corrupted/reset, and the only way I can install a new driver again is by using DDU, and then installing the driver, without DDU the installation would fail.

Its happened 3 times, twice while I was just browsing, and once during a game. I never paid attention to the PC lights the 2 times it happened while browsing, but I did during the gaming one, and I noticed one of the power connectors on the GPU had a glowing red light on it (bad power/no power). I am running custom extension cables to the GPU, yes extensions not direct to PSU cables, could they be the culprit? Ive removed them for now and just running the stock PSU cables directly now to see if it goes away.

Odd thing is, it only happened once under load, and ive been running these extension cables for almost 2 months with no issues, could the PSU be failing or some other power related issue? 

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

It's possible. When you add length and extensions it adds more resistance for the current. Some psu's will use 16awg cabling on higher end psus and most extensions are 18awg which increases resistance even more. You're already doing the right thing by testing directly into your PSU bypassing the extensions to test this. If it does resolve, then don't use the extensions and order full replacement cables for your PSU from a reputable manufacture. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That adds up, doesn't help when the GPU draws 350w as well. Really hope its just the cables and not the PSU, its a RM850x they're usually highly recommended so fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, ivanrcks95 said:

That adds up, doesn't help when the GPU draws 350w as well. Really hope its just the cables and not the PSU, its a RM850x they're usually highly recommended so fingers crossed 

For Perspective on this, I had an HX850, next step up from the RM series in terms of quality, and was tripping OCP with my 3090. I now have an HX1200 in there with no issues and replacement cables from Ensourced with no issues now.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its been over a week now since switching back to just using the PSU cables without the custom extensions and the problem has not happened again, so I think its safe to say that it was most likely the issue. 

If anything changes ill report back!