recommend a cpu upgrade

i was given a free dell optiplex 3040 small form factor pc it currently has a 6th gen i3 in it but i cant find any info on what cpus are supported and id like to upgrade the cpu in it just because i can help plz

It supports a i7 6700(k) just has issues cooling it since it has a lesser cooler than the 7040 that came with the 6700. So that may be an issue.

35 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

i was given a free dell optiplex 3040 small form factor pc it currently has a 6th gen i3 in it but i cant find any info on what cpus are supported and id like to upgrade the cpu in it just because i can help plz

its got the h110 chipset but apparently only intel 6th gen CPUs are supported. So that would be any 6th gen i5/17 as upgrade options. i5 should be ok with the stock cooler but if you're gonna get an unlocked CPU or or like an i7, also look into cooling.

You could rather upgrade Ram, from 4GB to 8GB ? or 8 to 16GB ?

And moving to ssd would be a great move (if it's currently using HDD). Much better move than the cpu upgrade.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

@okkee id like to keep the cpu at 65 watts or under since thats what the cpu cooler supports just trying to find a list that says what my options are

1 hour ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@okkee id like to keep the cpu at 65 watts or under since thats what the cpu cooler supports just trying to find a list that says what my options are

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

I guess you could go : 6400, 6500, 6600 or 6700

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, dreamcast4599 said:

the list posted by @leclod shoud be more than enough but ill go ahead and save you the trouble. As long as it doesn't have the K suffix, the 6th gen processors have a tdp of 65W. With the K it jumps to 91W. Also, like already mentioned, are you planning on any other upgrades? Also, what exactly are you planning to use it for?

8 hours ago, okkee said:

the list posted by @leclod shoud be more than enough but ill go ahead and save you the trouble. As long as it doesn't have the K suffix, the 6th gen processors have a tdp of 65W. With the K it jumps to 91W. Also, like already mentioned, are you planning on any other upgrades? Also, what exactly are you planning to use it for?

i just wanna upgrade it to max out the specs im gifting this small form factor pc to a friend whos less fortunate than me who cant afford a pc so i wanna max it out to prolong its life since the core i3 cpu is kinda meh as for what to use it for the pc will be used for internet browsing and start trek online

On 10/19/2023 at 11:52 PM, dreamcast4599 said:

i just wanna upgrade it to max out the specs im gifting this small form factor pc to a friend whos less fortunate than me who cant afford a pc so i wanna max it out to prolong its life since the core i3 cpu is kinda meh as for what to use it for the pc will be used for internet browsing and start trek online

16gb RAM, SSD Storage. Looks like the CPU is the missing piece. Any plans for a GPU? Otherwise, id go for either the i5 6600 or the i7 6700. looking at ebay, the i5 looks a lot cheaper going for around 30 bucks US. and the i7 going for around 50/70 bucks. Either one tho will definitely improve the experience. 

Good luck on the search. Dont forget to tell us how it goes!!!

@okkee the gpu has to be low profile since its an SFF case with a 180 watt psu so i will use an 8490 which will have no issues running the pre 2016 games my friend wants to run i just wanna toss out the crappy i3 for something better