need help identifying this component if possible please

bmx6454
Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,

All the markings are burnt off, so there is no chance to find out, what kind of resitor that was. But you wrote this is a stereo system. Maybe the other side has the same board and with this, the same resistor. Or is it just one device?

Maybe you can find some information about it online. A last resort kind of thing is, you just ask the manufacturer what R13 was. Occasionally they will answer theses questions.

Also please have a very close look at the other components. Such a resistor rarely dies on its own.

hello, hope everyone is having a good day/night. i am working on a Bluetooth stereo system that doesn't power on. what i find is a burnt up component that looks like a resistor, but i haven't seen one that looks quite like this before, so any help if possible would be appreciated. the colors are for the most part worn off, and i can't get any reading off of it. no schematics, or even pictures of a good board are anywhere to be found unfortunately. if it can't be figured out, no biggie. thanks for any input!

image.thumb.png.950969043219493923f970f1a6a7e728.png

16 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

hello, hope everyone is having a good day/night. i am working on a Bluetooth stereo system that doesn't power on. what i find is a burnt up component that looks like a resistor, but i haven't seen one that looks quite like this before, so any help if possible would be appreciated. the colors are for the most part worn off, and i can't get any reading off of it. no schematics, or even pictures of a good board are anywhere to be found unfortunately. if it can't be figured out, no biggie. thanks for any input!

image.thumb.png.950969043219493923f970f1a6a7e728.png

The markings of the board give you clues. Looks like it is R13, R = resistor. And that is what a resistor looks like on the inside when the coating it gone. What happened to it?

37 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

The markings of the board give you clues. Looks like it is R13, R = resistor. And that is what a resistor looks like on the inside when the coating it gone. What happened to it?

i noticed the r13, figured it was a resistor, but just wasn't sure because of the odd look. you think the coating burned up? that would certainly explain the odd look, never see one burn up that way though tbh. we are pretty sure it was a power surge since the power went out, but honestly not sure. just came home and noticed the clock was off. the main fuse is intact, and no damage on any other parts of the board. any chance at identifying this thing? I'm thinking it's highly unlikely without the bands being intact...

All the markings are burnt off, so there is no chance to find out, what kind of resitor that was. But you wrote this is a stereo system. Maybe the other side has the same board and with this, the same resistor. Or is it just one device?

Maybe you can find some information about it online. A last resort kind of thing is, you just ask the manufacturer what R13 was. Occasionally they will answer theses questions.

Also please have a very close look at the other components. Such a resistor rarely dies on its own.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:40 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Maybe the other side has the same board and with this, the same resistor. Or is it just one device?

just one single device.

unfortunately no info to be found, but the manufacturer does still exist afaik, i have nothing to lose by asking, so good point(don't think they will tell me though lol), thanks.

good point, i have already checked over everything else, everything else appears to be fine.

if i can't get info from the manufacturer, it's e waste anyway, so i will take an "educated guess" for fun on what value it is, and test it outside on the pavement lol. time for an upgrade it looks like.

R13 likely means resistor 13 and has no information on exactly the resistance of the resistor. Though when you contact the manufacturer you might be able to just ask what the resistance of r13 is and fix it yourself. If it is cheap enough you could ebay an extra and measure it yourself.

Here is an example of what I mean.

927d76c8a8c45ccfa9af25472b9023a2.png

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

finally attempt was contacting the manufacturer. as expected, they were not willing to give me the information, which is fair enough considering liability i guess..

i will take a best guess at what value it is for entertainment purposes, but either way, it's old, and i wouldn't trust it again even if it was the right resistor since it seems like a potential fire hazard going forward. it's also a good excuse for a nice upgrade, so not the end of the world. thanks for the responses anyway.