Recommendations for PSU.

Silencix

Hi all, I have a r9 3900, rtx 3080 OC, 32gb drr4, 6 case fans and 4 disks. A 800w PSU is sufficient?

I search in the net the PSU calculators, but every page gives me different results.

All the best.

A decent 850 would be sensible, it's not the average power consumption that's the issue, but how well the PSU handles the spikes.

Bad purchase. Gamemax is junk in general.

The Gamemax GM1050 is a group regulated unit with an internal design from 20 years ago. It can't handle the dynamic loads and transient spikes of modern CPUs and GPUs.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, --SID-- said:

The Gamemax GM1050 is a group regulated unit with an internal design from 20 years ago. It can't handle the dynamic loads and transient spikes of modern CPUs and GPUs.

Their website says it (GM series) has only a one year warranty too 😯 

OP:  if you want suggestions, what is your budget/country?

Would return the Gamemax immediately. Any PSU from this brand is a F Tier on the PSU tier list, aka REPLACE Immediately.

Why?

For modern day gpus its lacking a lot of protections aganist transient spikes,loads (usually their PSU have a rating for power that they cant even reach consistently without causing problems)

They are known to blow up in spectacular ways and taking the whole system down with it(experienced personally with a friend's system and how he fried his brand new 3090)

U have a 30 series card known for its aggressive and dangerous transient spikes that some PSUs have been shown as frauds when it comes to their so called "protections"

For ur kind of system please get anything B or A on the tierlist, there are budget options that can work without putting your whole system at risk.

PSU Tier List rev. 17.0g - Cultists Network

Please reach out with ur budget and we can find solutions with what u can buy in your country for the best price that fits ur budget (as long as its not unreasonable)

Most credible one there is. 

Sadly its not being updated as well as it used to be (some PSUs that are low on the list got updated by the manufacturer and after further reviews they were reviewed more positevely but the tierlist dosent always account for those changes)

But rule of thumb, anything u see on A or B is good for you as long as it meets ur wattage spec.

Altought im still a bith sketchy about Gigabyte,chieftec,thermaltake,silverstone models, yeah they are considered gold standards on those tier,but id rather trust the good old seasonic,superflowers,corsairs of the tier (especially seasonic and their no bullshit warranty)

But anything u see in these tiers are good,trusted and tested by the enthusiest

Might as well go for the 1K PSU over a 850. The price isn’t much different and you get more flexibility with connectors on the PSU which makes them easier to work with. 

On 10/16/2023 at 5:00 AM, Lukjo said:

But anything u see in these tiers are good,trusted and tested by the enthusiest

These people have a title of electronic at least?

For reference, search here: https://www.cybenetics.com/

All the best.

=)

Peace.

Hey i checked their test report data since it got my interesting.

I also work in a testing department (automotive) but i can pick up some mistakes upon the GAMEMAX 1050W mystery power supply they tested.

1)They have no model number or name for the DUT and it seems that what they tested seems to fall withing gold/platinum PSU rating spec while yours is a Silver certified mode.

2) Their testing methodology seems to be incomplete ,they are testing for what basically 80% Certification is meant to be, aka efficiency curves,vampiric power and noise

3) I am unsure about their consistency of their testing methodology since vampiric power wasnt even tested on the Gamemax 1050W mystery power supply

4) Im unsure about what other professional reviewers have, but for a testing laboratory, thats a preety weak and limited testing equipment for electrical tests. But if its enough to test for PSU then i guess it good enough. But what they are using is nothing new to the eyes and nothing impressive.

They dont test:

dynamic loads simulating transient spikes or any dynamic loads for that matter

Loads over 110%

OCP OVP UVP etc... protections

Endurance tests

Temperature tests

I wouldnt base all my trust on a accredited lab that only does certain tests and dosent test based on user case scenarios or does any long term endurance testing.

That lab simply dosent account for those test cases and wouldnt base my opinion of products from them.

The cultist tierlist site aint professional by any means, nor accredited .But its a trusted source even by the people that do profesional reviews(cause thats where they basically get their information from), and the professional reviews actually account for what makes a PSU good or bad and what is considered dangerous even if they are not accredited by a institution.

Edit:Upon further inspection they are not even a accredited laboratory and their testing methodology and equipment is not verified against any ISO standard of testing. AKA they are no better then other online professional reviewers with nothing to their name but a fancy site

Good luck with ur purchase

On 10/13/2023 at 3:31 PM, Tetras said:

Their website says it (GM series) has only a one year warranty too 😯 

OP:  if you want suggestions, what is your budget/country?

On 10/16/2023 at 6:44 AM, Lukjo said:

Would return the Gamemax immediately. Any PSU from this brand is a F Tier on the PSU tier list, aka REPLACE Immediately.

Why?

For modern day gpus its lacking a lot of protections aganist transient spikes,loads (usually their PSU have a rating for power that they cant even reach consistently without causing problems)

They are known to blow up in spectacular ways and taking the whole system down with it(experienced personally with a friend's system and how he fried his brand new 3090)

U have a 30 series card known for its aggressive and dangerous transient spikes that some PSUs have been shown as frauds when it comes to their so called "protections"

For ur kind of system please get anything B or A on the tierlist, there are budget options that can work without putting your whole system at risk.

PSU Tier List rev. 17.0g - Cultists Network

Please reach out with ur budget and we can find solutions with what u can buy in your country for the best price that fits ur budget (as long as its not unreasonable)

On 10/12/2023 at 2:53 PM, --SID-- said:

I returned the PSU to the owner.

I'm thinking in a PSU of 700w, for a RTX 3080 and r9 3900.

Argentina my country and my budget is 35.000 Argentine pesos.

The online store is: https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

All the best.

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Yes my country is very rare, the prices are crazy like the gov and the today elections...😅

Thanks.

All the best.

2 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Yes my country is very rare, the prices are crazy like the gov and the today elections...😅

I know, my daughter in law comes from Argentina but I didn't know that it was this crazy. It's about €/$450 for a mid range PSU. Buying a PSU here in NL and send it to Argentina with DHL is €200 cheaper. Don't know about feas and taxes of incoming supplies in Argentina.

34 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

I know, my daughter in law comes from Argentina but I didn't know that it was this crazy. It's about €/$450 for a mid range PSU. Buying a PSU here in NL and send it to Argentina with DHL is €200 cheaper. Don't know about feas and taxes of incoming supplies in Argentina.

This one: https://seasonic.com/a12#specification

What do you think?

7 hours ago, Silencix said:

Argentina my country and my budget is 35.000 Argentine pesos.

The online store is: https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

I'm not sure if I'm reading your currency correctly, but if I am, then it's not possible to buy a PSU suitable for your PC for 35,000.

There's a used MSI A750GF for 78,000 and a used Seasonic GX-850 for 69,900. That's the best I could find.

For me don't matter if it is tier a, tier c or tier z. I search for a silent/quiet PSU.

(I have a G2 and a G3, bad and noisy.)

39 minutes ago, Silencix said:

For me don't matter if it is tier a, tier c or tier z. I search for a silent/quiet PSU.

(I have a G2 and a G3, bad and noisy.)

The problem is that buying a bad PSU can easily turn out to be a false economy. A tier a or b PSU generally has high quality components, a long warranty, decent protections and is capable of powering a modern PC without crashing/black screens, etc. There's a reason a lot of these cheap PSUs have 1 - 3 year warranties, since even the manufacturer has limited confidence in them.

If you had a basic PC, then fair enough, but this is a high-end PC with a Ryzen 3900 and a 3080, it needs a good PSU.

PSUs aren't like other parts, where you just get less FPS. With a bad PSU, you are risking your PC.