Laptop + egpu vs Desktop

Go to solution Solved by GOATWD,
3 minutes ago, random_guy_with_questions said:

i already own a laptop for school and a desktop at home

well par the thunderbolt encloser being as much as a 3060 it might be agood idea for you especialy if u wnat portabilty

Hi there, bit of context

I currently own the following laptop: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-prestige-156-laptop-i71280p-16gb-1tb-rtx3050-win11-home-carbon-grey-ac55087

laptop has i7-1280p (14c/20t), 16gb ram and a 3050 + thunderbolt 4 for egpu (also has 2 ports so i can charge and run egpu)
and my desktop is rocking a Ryzen 3 3100 (4c/8t) at 4.13ghz + 6600xt +32gb ram

I am wondering if i am best selling the pc on marketplace or swapping for maybe a 3080, i know that the thunderbolt will cause a bottleneck however due to having a better CPU in the laptop i'm thinking it may be worth it

from my look into bandwidth i am looking at going from 16GB/s (64Gb/s) to 32Gb/s (TB4 has 40 total but only 32 for pcie related)

looking to see thoughts of the community and if anyone has made the switch

watched this yt video for ideas but obviously the cpu in the desktop is much better in this, comparing to the other one (i dont own this many games) with my gpu

17 minutes ago, random_guy_with_questions said:

Hi there, bit of context

I currently own the following laptop: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-prestige-156-laptop-i71280p-16gb-1tb-rtx3050-win11-home-carbon-grey-ac55087

laptop has i7-1280p (14c/20t), 16gb ram and a 3050 + thunderbolt 4 for egpu (also has 2 ports so i can charge and run egpu)
and my desktop is rocking a Ryzen 3 3100 (4c/8t) at 4.13ghz + 6600xt +32gb ram

I am wondering if i am best selling the pc on marketplace or swapping for maybe a 3080, i know that the thunderbolt will cause a bottleneck however due to having a better CPU in the laptop i'm thinking it may be worth it

from my look into bandwidth i am looking at going from 16GB/s (64Gb/s) to 32Gb/s (TB4 has 40 total but only 32 for pcie related)

looking to see thoughts of the community and if anyone has made the switch

watched this yt video for ideas but obviously the cpu in the desktop is much better in this, comparing to the other one (i dont own this many games) with my gpu

thers the oviouse isues of hard to upgrade but theres also the isue of laptops being glitchey whene used as desktops altho the cpu is more power efficent so it could be worth it if power is exspenive near you 

9 minutes ago, GOATWD said:

thers the oviouse isues of hard to upgrade but theres also the isue of laptops being glitchey whene used as desktops altho the cpu is more power efficent so it could be worth it if power is exspenive near you 

power costs are not an issue for me, my laptop works well used as desktop, no issue with it being glitchy shutting lid or anything

power costs are not an issue for me, my laptop works well used as desktop, no issue with it being glitchy shutting lid or anything

well if there sint much isue you can probly save money by going with a desktop upgrade since laptops are higer cost loung term

10 minutes ago, GOATWD said:

well if there sint much isue you can probly save money by going with a desktop upgrade since laptops are higer cost loung term

well par the thunderbolt encloser being as much as a 3060 it might be agood idea for you especialy if u wnat portabilty

The solution to this is really simple.

The 1280p is a decent processor but it's limited to 28w.

If I where looking to maximize value then something like a Ryzen 5 5600 should fit into your motherboard and then you throw the rest into a solid gpu.

Thunderbolt enclosures are stupid to me but I guess they do make sense in some capacity.

Still any gpu you put into it is going to be severely hamstringed.

Does the enclosure have a psu that can support a 3080? It's a pretty power hungry card.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

7 hours ago, Bagzie said:

The solution to this is really simple.

The 1280p is a decent processor but it's limited to 28w.

If I where looking to maximize value then something like a Ryzen 5 5600 should fit into your motherboard and then you throw the rest into a solid gpu.

Thunderbolt enclosures are stupid to me but I guess they do make sense in some capacity.

Still any gpu you put into it is going to be severely hamstringed.

Does the enclosure have a psu that can support a 3080? It's a pretty power hungry card.

it is a model made by gigabyte that specifically comes with a 3080 watercooled

10 hours ago, random_guy_with_questions said:

it is a model made by gigabyte that specifically comes with a 3080 watercooled

So your getting the enclosure and the gpu? You could upgrade your desktop to a 5800X3D + 32GB of ram and a 3080 for the same price.

This is really bad value.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset