PCI-E Cable in Peripheral slot

GingerBill

Hey all,

Building my new system and ran into a roadblock because i'm unsure.

I'm wondering if I would be able to put a PCI-E cable into the peripheral/Sata slot in my PSU.

For reference, my new GPU is an XFX 6700XT and my power supply is a Corsair RM750X. (See pic below and ignore the mess lol)

I am assuming it will be okay as the psu comes with 2 6+2 pin cables.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PXL_20231009_190132408.jpg

2 minutes ago, GingerBill said:

I'm wondering if I would be able to put a PCI-E cable into the peripheral/Sata slot in my PSU.

No, that would be liable to break something. Those peripheral slots have a significantly different pinout than the PCIe slots, and would therefore put the wrong voltage on the different wires. 

Remember, those PCIe 6+2 pin cables are directional, there's an end that has to connect to the PSU, and there's an end that has to connect to the GPU. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No, that would be liable to break something. Those peripheral slots have a significantly different pinout than the PCIe slots, and would therefore put the wrong voltage on the different wires. 

Remember, those PCIe 6+2 pin cables are directional, there's an end that has to connect to the PSU, and there's an end that has to connect to the GPU. 

I don't understand why it would come with more than one pci-e cable then, surely if it comes with more than 1 then I am able to plug it in

3 minutes ago, GingerBill said:

I don't understand why it would come with more than one pci-e cable then, surely if it comes with more than 1 then I am able to plug it in

It's because there are cards with 3 or more PCIe 8 pins on them. 

I.E.

PowerColor Radeon R9 295X2 Devil13 Up Close | TechPowerUp Forums

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's because there are cards with 3 or more PCIe 8 pins on them. 

I.E.

PowerColor Radeon R9 295X2 Devil13 Up Close | TechPowerUp Forums

The RX6700xt comes with 2 PCI-E ports on it. The cables I have split into 2 6+2 adapters, should I just use one cable and plug both in?

PXL_20231009_192005176.jpg

Just now, GingerBill said:

The RX6700xt comes with 2 PCI-E ports on it. The cables I have split into 2 6+2 adapters, should I just use one cable and plug both in?

PXL_20231009_192005176.jpg

Yeah, that's fine. It's generally considered better practice to use both cables so there's less power going through a single cable, but in practice it doesn't matter that much for the lower power cards like the 6700 XT. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, that's fine. It's generally considered better practice to use both cables so there's less power going through a single cable, but in practice it doesn't matter that much for the lower power cards like the 6700 XT. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Hiya Mate,

Upon further inspection of the psu, it looks like I have 2x 4+4 cpu and 2x 6+2 pci-e.

As the peripheral and sata have only 6 slots, I assume that the others are actually for the gpu and i'm just being an idiot.

See pic

Thanks!

1696879871128339543022843832045.jpg

1 minute ago, GingerBill said:

Hiya Mate,

Upon further inspection of the psu, it looks like I have 2x 4+4 cpu and 2x 6+2 pci-e.

As the peripheral and sata have only 6 slots, I assume that the others are actually for the gpu and i'm just being an idiot.

See pic

Thanks!

1696879871128339543022843832045.jpg

Yeah, all the 8 pin connectors on the PSU end should support the PCIe connectors. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, all the 8 pin connectors on the PSU end should support the PCIe connectors. 

Well i'm glad that has been clarified, major brain fart.

Thanks very much mate, it's very appreciated!