Any ideas on how to remove a stripped screw from gpu?

Eskil28

I have a stripped screw on my gpu and I want to change the thermal paste on it and ideas on how I can get the screw up? Will the super glue method work?

image.jpg

22 minutes ago, Eskil28 said:

I have a stripped screw on my gpu and I want to change the thermal paste on it and ideas on how I can get the screw up? Will the super glue method work?

image.jpg

these are not really "brutally" hard to get out, you can sacrifice a bit and loctite it to the screw, and then find a new screw.. also if you dare, you can use a dremel to make a "straight" line in it.. to get a flathead screwdriver.. i usually do it, if it is not "expensive electronics"

you can get loctite types that are nearly as brutal as welding.. we used to loctite parts together in metal, and then mill them.

5 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

these are not really "brutally" hard to get out, you can sacrifice a bit and loctite it to the screw, and then find a new screw.. also if you dare, you can use a dremel to make a "straight" line in it.. to get a flathead screwdriver.. i usually do it, if it is not "expensive electronics"

you can get loctite types that are nearly as brutal as welding.. we used to loctite parts together in metal, and then mill them.

Where can I find new screws to get. Like what do you call them.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:48 AM, Eskil28 said:

Where can I find new screws to get. Like what do you call them.

You need to find what's called the thread diameter,thread pitch and length.

And then you just purchase a matching screw.

Thread length is measured just the length of the threaded part of a screw. Pitch is the distance between the threads. It isn't effective to measure this. Chances are it's a metric thread.

Usually for a given diameter there will only be 1-2 pitch formats 

https://www.lexcocable.com/media/pmve5dll/lexco-metric_thread_size_chart.pdf

This is a chart from smallest to largest metric threads

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R