Screen turns off when rendering/gaming/ heavy gpu usage

aleksandarmn

Hello everyone,

for some time i have a problem with my PC and these days I am trying to fix it.

The problem is when I try to render a scene or do gaming, my PC screen turns off and my monitor says no signal and my PC continues working, discord voice call still works and the fans on the GPU start speeding up.

I tried most things to fix it. Yesterday I installed a new PSU (Gigabyte 850W GP-P850GM modular), hoping it would fix the issue but everything stayed the same. Usually I kept this from happening by lowering power limit in MSI afterburner to 85% but it would only work for gaming, not for rendering. 

Also when in BIOS, same thing was happening, without heavy gpu load, screen turns off after a minute in bios, until I spiked the reset CMOS pins, and it seems like it fixed there but at this point I aint even sure the cmos reset worked but i managed to stay on bios longer.

Today I turned off the hardware acceleration and it allowed me to benchmark without crashing on 3D Mark( before it wouldnt even start it), where I scored a low score for an 3060Ti of 4900 points. And the screen turning off issue turned into weird game sounds, game rendering glitches and finally normal restart, after some time it got back to the old issue of screen signal going off and gpu fans speeding up.

I tried using multiple monitors, 1080p ones 2k ones and 4k ones, same issue. I updated BIOS, i reinstalled Windows since like 10 times and about to again. Once this issue couldnt let me install OS, screen going without signal after a minute of running, somehow i fixed that using a mbr OS disk and clocking with msi afterburner. DisplayPort and HDMI cables give same issue. I still get high framerates for some games, and I had zero discolouring, graphics glitches until today (today after i turned off hardware acceleration, the issue changed briefly to not rendering some models and weird game sounds and proper restart). I tried opening the gpu and cleaning it, didnt help, tomorrow i might try putting new paste and thermal pads. 

I am out of ideas what do to, hopefully you can help me. My main suspect is software disfunction, wrong clocking or something like that, not really sure tho.

My specs:

GPU: Gigabyte Eagle 3060Ti 8GB lhr

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3800X

MB: B550I Pro AX rev1 mini itx

RAM: 1x16GB Kingston (dont hate me, tomorrow getting one for the second slot)

PSU: Gigabyte 850W modular

SSDs: Samsung 980 PRO 500 gb

Kingston m.2 1TB snv2s

• 2 months later...