High CPU temps, low clock speeds

jonasa97

Hi there,

Today for the first time I bothered messing a little bit with the BIOS and decided to try and overclock my CPU a little. I got up to 4.3GHz on auto voltage which crashed after a few minutes. After I'm done messing around a little, I reset everything to the normal settings, however, in system I am only getting  to a multiplier of 36 such that my CPU runs at 3.6GHz. Not even AIDA 64 could get the CPU to bother to clock up. All I changed was the multiplier. (I did try to boot at manual 1.200V with 4.4GHz but that didn't work out).

On the other I have absolutely terrible temperatures when it comes to my CPU which is cooled by an H100i. At idle, the hottest core is switching between 36 to 37 degrees celcius while under AIDA 64, Cache, CPU, and FPU test, I get a maximum temperature of 67 degrees on the hottest core and 59 on the coldest (67,66,65,59). I have long thought about buying some thermal paste in order to be able to reseat the CPU block of my AIO watercooler but I have no clue if that would help. After some googling I found out that many people dislike the backplate of the H100i which occasionally causes a CPU block to not come into proper contact with the CPU.

Any further information or clue as to why my temperatures are high and why my CPU doesn't turbo boost any more would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

thats not HOT! hot is like 85c

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

It not "that" high if your worried put it back to normal

thats not HOT! hot is like 85c

Remember guys, that this is in the stock state, while the CPU is running at 3.54GHz. I just put information on my overclocking attemps in order to facilitate troubleshooting. Since then, I have just set the multiplier to 38 as a temporary fix for the clockrate issue. The voltage is currently on auto. 67 degrees on aida 64 at stock with 3.54GHz also appears very hot to me. Other people with the same CPU report CPUs in the 2 digits colder while under load with aida64

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Which CPU are we talking about (I'm on mobile atm )? And for temps it might be that auto volts are getting too high for what is needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i5 4670k @LoGiCalDrm

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Which CPU are we talking about (I'm on mobile atm )? And for temps it might be that auto volts are getting too high for what is needed.

I am monitoring my volts carefully. It doesn't exceed 1.2 Volts under load.