Update to My Dad Crashing in Sea of Thieves

Shooterdude34

hello all,

so i recently made a post asking for some help regarding my dads gaming pc. While playing sea of thieves, after 15-30 min his pc will randomly shut down/restart entirely with no crash logs.

here is a list of his specs

-i7 8700

- 16 gb 2933mhz ram

- rtx 3080

- corsair rm850x

- asus tuf gaming z370 plus

- playing on visio 65" 4k tv

and here is a list of things we have tried

-uninstall and verify game files

-update all gpu and cpu drivers

- reinstall windows

- raise and lower in game settings

- upgraded psu from off-brand chinese unit to this corsair unit

- stress tested for a few hours

- TM5 extreme1

- OCCT cpu, ram, and gpu stress tests, all of them ran for 30 min

- cinebench r23 ran for 30 min

Sea of thieves is the only game that his pc does this in. he can play Tiny Tinas Wonderlands, Borderlands 3, and many other games completely fine including vr games. im going to try a different ram kit cause the kit he is running used to cause me issues in BL3 on a different computer, but after that im at a loss for what could cause this issue

27 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

im going to try a different ram kit cause the kit he is running used to cause me issues in BL3 on a different computer, but after that im at a loss for what could cause this issue

Try downclocking the RAM to something like 2400/2666 to see if it improves before replacing. Iirc, officially, only up to 2666 was natively supported on Coffe Lake.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

Try downclocking the RAM to something like 2400/2666 to see if it improves before replacing. Iirc, officially, only up to 2666 was natively supported on Coffe Lake.

will try next, tried a different ram kit also at 3000mhz and crashed again. im trying a different gpu, but ill try that soon

1 minute ago, Shooterdude34 said:

will try next, tried a different ram kit also at 3000mhz and crashed again. im trying a different gpu, but ill try that soon

If it's a random issue, it's almost always PSU or RAM, and you've already replaced the PSU. Before going through the hassle of undoing all the GPU stuff, see if downclocking the RAM in BIOS works. Work smarter, not harder 🙂

Just now, BiotechBen said:

If it's a random issue, it's almost always PSU or RAM, and you've already replaced the PSU. Before going through the hassle of undoing all the GPU stuff, see if downclocking the RAM in BIOS works. Work smarter, not harder 🙂

yeah no i should have tried downclocking first, but didnt think of it and started trying hardware first. i had already swapped the gpu when i read your comment

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

swapping gpu didnt fix it, changed ram speed down to 2600 and it still crashed. the gpu swap seemed to let it play for longer before crashing, but it still crashed the same way

3 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

swapping gpu didnt fix it, changed ram speed down to 2600 and it still crashed. the gpu swap seemed to let it play for longer before crashing, but it still crashed the same way

What RAM kit are you running?

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

What RAM kit are you running?

it was a team group t-force vulcan 2x8gb 3000mhz kit. i also tried a corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 3000mhz kit

what temps are the cpu operating on during the tests?

use HWinfo64 and turn on logging so you can check temps when you test sea of thieves and it crashes. 

if it's going hot i would delid it and drop ca 20C off max. 

5 hours ago, Robchil said:

what temps are the cpu operating on during the tests?

use HWinfo64 and turn on logging so you can check temps when you test sea of thieves and it crashes. 

if it's going hot i would delid it and drop ca 20C off max. 

never went above 72 c and that was during like p95. its living under a 360mm aio

after my original set of troubleshooting, i also tried a new ram kit, a different gpu (3070 ti), and downclocked the memory from 2933 to 2600. in game settings i tried to set frame lock, which some people found to fix it. the pc still crashed, however it took longer to crash with the new gpu.