No Nexus 6 could mean Android Silver gets here earlier than rumored

Despite the recent rumor about the Nexus 6, as PocketNow reported, we may not have the Nexus 6 after all, and getting Android Silver sooner than we though.

The leak is from @evleaks, who firstly tweeted " There is no Nexus 6. Farewell, Nexus.", and than tweeted " Don’t worry, there’s a silver lining to this cloud…". Thus people started to speculate, is Android Silver come sooner than we though?

If it is true, I will definitely missed the Nexus line. Maybe i should go and buy Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 now.....

* for those who don't know what rumored Android Silver is, you can refer to this article from The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5575626/android-silver-google-program-would-promote-top-phones-report

It is like an extended version of the Google Play Edition Phones, which 5 handsets from different brands were selected by Google, running Android with limited to no customizations, and would be sold by carriers.

http://www.pocketnow.com/2014/05/16/no-nexus-6

I'm sure Google has something better in store. I'm waiting for the new low end Google phones that were said to arrive by next year. They were rumored to run on mediatek soc's which should make them really affordable and provide better support for mediatek. And stock Android will run really smooth on them. Can't wait! :D

I'm sure Google has something better in store. I'm waiting for the new low end Google phones that were said to arrive by next year. They were rumored to run on mediatek soc's which should make them really affordable and provide better support for mediatek. And stock Android will run really smooth on them. Can't wait! :D

It doesn't get much lower end than the Moto E that was released earlier this week. You're talking about a sub $100 smartphone without contract or upgrade. 

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

It doesn't get much lower end than the Moto E that was released earlier this week. You're talking about a sub $100 smartphone without contract or upgrade. 

Moto E is AWESOME. Great phone for 90e (at least in normal countries).

I was thinking of a sub 200e Google phone. The rumors mention quad and octa core Mediatek soc's so I'm waiting to see how that turns out as there are sub 200e phones with decent quad cores that actually do perform great.

What is android silver? Also I am sad to see the nexus line go

Yeah the OP should really have described what Android Silver is rumoured to be.

A more premium version of Nexus devices, apparently.

Google Gold

Opportunity missed.

I was thinking of a sub 200e Google phone. The rumors mention quad and octa core Mediatek soc's so I'm waiting to see how that turns out as there are sub 200e phones with decent quad cores that actually do perform great.

I wasn't knocking the Moto E, I was simply stating that as far pricing goes, you can't really go any lower than the E. Also, an Octa core? Do we really need 8 core SoC's? I'm never going to utilize the 4 cores in my HTC One M8.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

I wasn't knocking the Moto E, I was simply stating that as far pricing goes, you can't really go any lower than the E. Also, an Octa core? Do we really need 8 core SoC's? I'm never going to utilize the 4 cores in my HTC One M8.

You're right, Moto E is as low as we can currently go and still get a more than decent phone.

Now back to the octa cores, it's going to be the same as most programs and games not being able to utilize an i7 on a PC. The things I expect is that the system will use them, and the architecture might prove to be more efficient. Mediatek claims in reproducing Full HD video the soc uses up to 18% less battery than current quad cores. We will have to wait and see. :)

Yeah the OP should really have described what Android Silver is rumoured to be.

A more premium version of Nexus devices, apparently.

Google Gold

Opportunity missed.

added. thx for reminding me....

The top selling point of the nexus line was the super (below cost) price. The pure google handsets like M8 & S4/S5 on the playstore were always for more expensive :(

I don't understand why make a new line.Why not just keep using nexus line?

Some information here on Android Silver. Only rumors though.

From what I've read so far, it's actually not that clear how it'll work, but what I think will happen is Google will either be selling Google Play editions of each OEM's top handset or simply get them to push out unique handsets (such as the Nexus phones) obviously running stock Android instead of their UI.

Question is, how much will that cost us?

Being the price-conscious company it is, hopefully Google will keep that in mind when providing us with several different handsets to choose from when Android Silver arrives.
I wouldn't mind owning a REALLY GOOD Motorola or Sony phones running stock Android (I know Motorola is already clean enough, but Moto X just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to hardware). 

If Google does indeed stop making phones, I will be very disappointed. The Nexus 5 was great and relatively cheap.

Isn't the moto E a google phone, I thought "moto" was still owned by google as opposed to motorola being sold off. 

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Isn't the moto E a google phone, I thought "moto" was still owned by google as opposed to motorola being sold off.

I think Google bought a lot of their patents, not sure about the entire company though.

Anyway Moto needs to step up their phone offerings but not overkill like Samsung. Personally I'd never buy a bloated android phone such as a Samsung phone is in most cases.