No POST after PC being in storage for a few months.

NinthTurtle1034
Go to solution Solved by Dedayog,
9 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Hi all,

So I put my gaming PC in storage a few months as I wasn't using it a whole lot due to work being so busy. I decided to get it out of storage a couple of days ago and it's now not posting.

Components are:

• CPU Ryzen 5 5600X
  • AIO: Corsair ICue H100i
  • Mobo: ROG Strix X570E
  • RAM: Vengance 2*16GB 3600
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080
  • PSU HX750i 80+ plat

All I've done so far is plug in the power which makes the mobo light up but as soon as I press the power button the lights turn off so maybe it's grounding itself. I did some googling for troubleshooting steps and tried the following:

• Pulled out the GPU and SSD to make sure they're not tripping anything
  • Tried clearing the CMOS, not sure if this took because I don't have a physical CMOS as far as I can tell it's just a button the back of the mobo
  • Disconnected the PSU and tried a known good one of the same model (pulled it from my NAS)

Things I can't try at the moment:

• CPU repaste, I have the paste but no isopropyl alcohol until this weekend but my Amazon order of it arrives for the NAS

I'm not sure if something is shorting somehow because power does seem to be being delivered, it just dies when the power button is pressed.

Or maybe the liquid in the cooler is no longer liquid and needs heat to start flowing but I'd have thought it'd at least POST under that circumstance.

Or maybe the cooler leaked liquid and friend something, I saw a Toms Hardware post where that happened to someone.

Does anyone have any idea's or suggestions for next steps?

Repast it.  Wipe it off with a clean towel, elbow grease and maybe a tiny dab of water.  It's a metal surface, you can't hurt it.  The paste wipes off, it's not some magic unicorn poop that needs the virginity of a princess to take off.

When you put it in storage, how did you store it?  Did you do anything to it or just place the case in a Self Storage?  If you didn't do anything, then maybe it got jostled?  Loose wire?  I'd recheck each and every connection.

Was the storage climate controlled?

Hi all,

So I put my gaming PC in storage a few months as I wasn't using it a whole lot due to work being so busy. I decided to get it out of storage a couple of days ago and it's now not posting.

Components are:

• CPU Ryzen 5 5600X
  • PSU HX750i 80+ plat

All I've done so far is plug in the power which makes the mobo light up but as soon as I press the power button the lights turn off so maybe it's grounding itself. I did some googling for troubleshooting steps and tried the following:

• Tried clearing the CMOS, not sure if this took because I don't have a physical CMOS as far as I can tell it's just a button the back of the mobo
  • Disconnected the PSU and tried a known good one of the same model (pulled it from my NAS)

• CPU repaste, I have the paste but no isopropyl alcohol until this weekend but my Amazon order of it arrives for the NAS

I'm not sure if something is shorting somehow because power does seem to be being delivered, it just dies when the power button is pressed.

Or maybe the liquid in the cooler is no longer liquid and needs heat to start flowing but I'd have thought it'd at least POST under that circumstance.

Or maybe the cooler leaked liquid and friend something, I saw a Toms Hardware post where that happened to someone.

9 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Hi all,

Components are:

• CPU Ryzen 5 5600X
  • PSU HX750i 80+ plat

Repast it.  Wipe it off with a clean towel, elbow grease and maybe a tiny dab of water.  It's a metal surface, you can't hurt it.  The paste wipes off, it's not some magic unicorn poop that needs the virginity of a princess to take off.

When you put it in storage, how did you store it?  Did you do anything to it or just place the case in a Self Storage?  If you didn't do anything, then maybe it got jostled?  Loose wire?  I'd recheck each and every connection.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

try an air-cooler if you can. that's one of the drawbacks of having an aio. they suck and need to be babied constantly ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

try an air-cooler if you can. that's one of the drawbacks of having an aio. they suck and need to be babied constantly ~

At some point you need to stop blanket lying.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

I don't currently have any isopropyl alcohol or lint-free cloth to wipe the paste off with. Your saying a bit of water and a regular dish cloth/towel should do the trick?

When I initially 'put it in storage' it actually just sat on a shelving unit behind my desk for a few months and then a couple of months ago it got put inside its original chassis box, surrounded by boxes of spare parts (spare mobo, GPU, fans, manuals, etc) to pad it out to prevent jostling (it was very lightly packed to the point of bowing outwards slightly on the side containing the smaller boxes, which was in front of the glass panel for safety). Once it was in that box it got put in the attic (it gets a bit warm up there but no crazy fluctuations in temp, it takes a good 6 - 12 hours for any noticeable temperature change to occur.

Not sure what you mean by "Self Storage". I'll check all the wires though.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Is it worth trying an air cooler anyway? Would it be an issue with the AIO? I'm due to swap out the NH-D15 from my NAS with a NH-U12A (height issues)  so I can always put the NH-D15 in the PC if we think the AIO might have died.

The thing I'm finding weird is that power is going to the mobo (lights turn on) but no fan action happens so purely cruddy thermal paste wouldn't be causing that?

19 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Is it worth trying an air cooler anyway? Would it be an issue with the AIO? I'm due to swap out the NH-D15 from my NAS with a NH-U12A (height issues)  so I can always put the NH-D15 in the PC if we think the AIO might have died.

i mean i do some what agree that aios can be annoying. what i would say is unplug any thing that is not crucial then try turn it on

i mean just try an air cooler, aios can clog up and who knows what... usually they don't last longer than 3 years ,etc...

47 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

don't currently have any isopropyl alcohol or lint-free cloth to wipe the paste off with. Your saying a bit of water and a regular dish cloth/towel should do the trick?

no, do not -- i repeat  -- do not ever put water in your pc... its bad, ok? (yes that includes your fancy aio lol)

just wait until you have the iso i guess... 

btw you can just just paper towels,  you don't need a fluid at all, its just less messier with iso... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

i would rather put ln2 into my pc than an aio.... where's the lie? they're bad, unsafe and don't even perform better on average than an aircooler...

aios are like a gimmick that people mostly use for the "looks" which is fine by itself, but they often don't know that they kinda need to be maintained, properly installed and have a limited lifespan.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean just try an air cooler, aios can clog up and who knows what... usually they don't last longer than 3 years ,etc...

no, do not -- i repeat  -- do not ever put water in your pc... its bad, ok? (yes that includes your fancy aio lol)

btw you can just just paper towels,  you don't need a fluid at all, its just less messier with iso... 

Yeah I understand not to put water in the PC, Dedayog said use a clean towel with a dap of water, that's what I meant: A lightly damp towel.

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Repast it.  Wipe it off with a clean towel, elbow grease and maybe a tiny dab of water.

56 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Yeah I understand not to put water in the PC, Dedayog said use a clean towel with a dap of water, that's what I meant: A lightly damp towel.

As long as you dry any water off immediately and make SURE it's dry when you are done I think it's ok. Paper towels are fine. I use them when repasting things. Just always be sure not to leave liquid or bits of the towel on the cpu/cooler

i would rather put ln2 into my pc than an aio.... where's the lie? they're bad, unsafe and don't even perform better on average than an aircooler...

aios are like a gimmick that people mostly use for the "looks" which is fine by itself, but they often don't know that they kinda need to be maintained, properly installed and have a limited lifespan.  

Bad?  Vague.  No.

Unsafe?  Potentially, but they don't hit  end of life and just explode.   Nor do PSU's either.

Don't perform {}?  They do perform better on average than air coolers.  Or are you using temp delta/money?  Then sure.  But in raw cooling, they are very good.

Need to be maintained?  How?  Closed loop, remember?

Properly installed?  GN's air bubble video you mean?

Limited lifespan?   Yes, will agree with you on that.

Are they a gimmick?  In a way, sure.   Are they better cooling for more money than necessary.  Yes.   Do you pay for aesthetics?  Yes.  Do you pay for a cooler that looks different than the norm?  Sure, i guess. But it's a secondary look, not a completely different unique one.  Air cooler or AIO (custom loops are a subset IMO).

I think you're overstating and exaggerating.

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

I don't understand how anyone can take what I said to mean anything other than enough water to get any dried paste off, without submerging the entire thing in the sink?

Do I have to say that?  Does no one wash anything in their homes?  Know how to use cleaners and water properly to clean a variety of substances from other substances?  Never had little dried soda on your counter?  Or something on your shoe?  Wiping your glasses with a little hot breathe and a towel?

Correct though. Never put water in your PC.  Shit will splash everywhere and run out all the little holes in the bottom.  Makes a mess of carpet or desk.  

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

Other Tech:

I've used cleaning wipes for glasses.. cleaning wipes for monitors..  basicaly anything that will disapate.. i also have used harder stuff..  it's a metal plate...  nailpolish remover should work too.... 

older Aio's with no surveillance or sensors are destined to die, 

air coolers flips off the alarm if CPU fan dies.. 

custom water cooling loops. should have alarm for low flow and pump rpm. and easy draining solutions.. with neither they are just as painful as Aio's.. 

22 hours ago, Dedayog said:

I don't understand how anyone can take what I said to mean anything other than enough water to get any dried paste off, without submerging the entire thing in the sink?

Do I have to say that?  Does no one wash anything in their homes?  Know how to use cleaners and water properly to clean a variety of substances from other substances?  Never had little dried soda on your counter?  Or something on your shoe?  Wiping your glasses with a little hot breathe and a towel?

Correct though. Never put water in your PC.  Shit will splash everywhere and run out all the little holes in the bottom.  Makes a mess of carpet or desk.  

Ended up getting a unused toothbrush and scrubbing the paste off with that.

I've now reapplyed thermal paste and tried turing it on and nada.

I took the CMOS out and waited a few minutes before turning it on and got the fans spinning for about 2 seconds before it turned off again. I even tried a different known working CMOS battery.

Edited by NinthTurtle1034

5 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Ended up getting a unused toothbrush and scrubbing the paste off with that.

I've now reapplyed thermal paste and tried turing it on and nada.

I took the CMOS out and waited a few minutes before turning it on and got the fans spinning for about 2 seconds before it turned off again.

i would take the board out and try starting it outside with minimum required items connected.. and see if it powers on if you short the powerpins. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

i would take the board out and try starting it outside with minimum required items connected.. and see if it powers on if you short the powerpins. 

Okay so around the time you sent me that message I actually went and made some food and left the PC connected to power with the PSU on and I've come back to it deciding to power on. What sure what changed, maybe some capacitors needed charging or something.

Good news is it's working, bad news I have no idea why.

6 minutes ago, NinthTurtle1034 said:

Okay so around the time you sent me that message I actually went and made some food and left the PC connected to power with the PSU on and I've come back to it deciding to power on. What sure what changed, maybe some capacitors needed charging or something.

Good news is it's working, bad news I have no idea why.

good news.. and good question.. next question.. 😄

that could be.. not that i realy belive it..  but sometimes it helps to leave it on.. or off.. depending on the problem.