Need help with an AMD build that's hardware compatible.

WerkWurk
Go to solution Solved by Tetras,
7 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Basically i game the most on my current build at the moment when i don't do office work, but i'm look for a jack of all trades kinda pc with the power behind it to back it up.

Here's an example build with the CPU, motherboard, memory and PSU you requested. I don't know much about monitors, so I might not have picked the one you wanted.

The 7900 is more productivity oriented, since it has 12 cores. There's a review here. It does come with a cooler, but how well the Wraith Prism copes with the 7900, I can't say.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ycxVwg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (3351.00kr @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (1760.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory  (1520.00kr @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (1327.00kr @ Proshop) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G70C 43.0" 3840 x 2160 144 Hz Monitor  (6399.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Total: 14357.00kr

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-03 17:02 CEST+0200

I'd choose EXPO memory for an AMD system, but PCP doesn't seem to say.

I don't think I'd replace your PSU unless you need to, but I've included one anyway.

Budget (including currency): 2000💲

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music production, video production, gaming, regular office work.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current build:

PSU: Corsair HX750i
32Gb 3000MHz DDR4 Ram clocked at 2666MHz 
GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU  
Intel I7 4770K 4.2GHz when idle
CT2000MX500 2TB SSD1 (OS drive)
Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD (Office file drive)
WD Black 4TB storage drive. 
Gigabyte z270x gaming 7 - Motherboard
Audio: MOTU external audiocard and 2 EVE SC208 monitors.

Future build within a year:

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

OS: Windows 10 (i can't stand windows 11 but will use it if the performance gets better)

Misc: 32" 4K Gaming Monitor Odyssey Neo G7

Note:
I have been away for a long time with pc builds and i am no longer in touch with which hardware is compatible with each other and find it rather daunting to assemble an awesome build on my own spec wise.
As you may have noticed i plan to use some of my old parts since they still perform just fine, and i really just need to update my CPU, RAM and motherboard with possibly also the PSU.
I do not overclock so i am looking for a fast out of the box build, but i am unsure which parts i can keep and which ones that needs to be scrapped/sold.
Also unsure of how big the power supply should be because i feel right now that windows on it's own are drawing way too much power after af couple of updates, of which has not been a problem in the past with the current build.

I would appreciate all the help i can get to avoid expensive mistakes in my build.

6 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

but i am unsure which parts i can keep and which ones that needs to be scrapped/sold.

You can keep the SSDs, sound card, monitor, PSU would depend on what graphics card you buy.

8 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Are you buying the whole PC within the year? If so, when within the year?

9 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music production, video production, gaming, regular office work.

Is the productivity more, or less important than the gaming?

9 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Misc: 32" 4K Gaming Monitor Odyssey Neo G7

Do you expect to play games @ 4K?

22 minutes ago, Tetras said:

You can keep the SSDs, sound card, monitor, PSU would depend on what graphics card you buy.

Basically i game the most on my current build at the moment when i don't do office work, but i'm look for a jack of all trades kinda pc with the power behind it to back it up.

But yes i expect to game in 4K or if the load becomes too much i will game in a different resolution. Any moniter would be an improvement of what i got currently, but i like to have options. 

26 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Yes i expect to buy parts to assemble within a year and reuse some of my older parts like storage and GPU.
I can't say when because it all comes down to money when the time comes and i don't really chase discounts when shopping, unless it is like that one hardware that will be the most expensive to purchase.

15 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

OS: Windows 10 (i can't stand windows 11 but will use it if the performance gets better)

Misc: 32" 4K Gaming Monitor Odyssey Neo G7

Little point in settling on hardware until a couple of weeks before purchase. Pricing and offerings change to frequently otherwise. For example, Intel is expected to introduce new desktop CPU Oct 17.

The 7800X3D would only be a good choice if most system usage was gaming. Otherwise a 7900(X) or i7-13700(K)(F) would be better choices if buying today. 

I suspect a different motherboard would be needed. 🙂

If you will be gaming at 4K you'll want to get a more powerful GPU. Will likely squeeze the budget a bit.

If you stick with AMD Windows 10 is fine. If you decide on Intel Windows 11 would do a better job of scheduling cores.

28 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Also unsure of how big the power supply should be because i feel right now that windows on it's own are drawing way too much power after af couple of updates, of which has not been a problem in the past with the current build.

If the PSU is much more than 5 years old, for a new build I'd be looking to replace it. I can't imagine how an o/s would significantly affect the required PSU capacity. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Here's an example build with the CPU, motherboard, memory and PSU you requested. I don't know much about monitors, so I might not have picked the one you wanted.

The 7900 is more productivity oriented, since it has 12 cores. There's a review here. It does come with a cooler, but how well the Wraith Prism copes with the 7900, I can't say.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ycxVwg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (3351.00kr @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (1760.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory  (1520.00kr @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (1327.00kr @ Proshop) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G70C 43.0" 3840 x 2160 144 Hz Monitor  (6399.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Total: 14357.00kr

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-03 17:02 CEST+0200

I'd choose EXPO memory for an AMD system, but PCP doesn't seem to say.

I don't think I'd replace your PSU unless you need to, but I've included one anyway.

Your PSU is good already 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (3369.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (1402.00kr @ Proshop) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (1768.00kr @ Proshop) 
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG32UQ 32.0" 3840 x 2160 160 Hz Monitor  (8353.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Total: 14892.00kr
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-03 17:20 CEST+0200

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

Setup: Zowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro - Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's - 

Current build on PCPartPicker

12 minutes ago, brob said:

Little point in settling on hardware until a couple of weeks before purchase. Pricing and offerings change to frequently otherwise. For example, Intel is expected to introduce new desktop CPU Oct 17.

The 7800X3D would only be a good choice if most system usage was gaming. Otherwise a 7900(X) or i7-13700(K)(F) would be better choices if buying today. 

I suspect a different motherboard would be needed. 🙂

If you will be gaming at 4K you'll want to get a more powerful GPU. Will likely squeeze the budget a bit.

If you stick with AMD Windows 10 is fine. If you decide on Intel Windows 11 would do a better job of scheduling cores.

If the PSU is much more than 5 years old, for a new build I'd be looking to replace it. I can't imagine how an o/s would significantly affect the required PSU capacity. 

Luckily music production isn't that CPU heavy since it's on a hobby level so the main focus would probably be at gaming as the main theme. 
So far not planning on water cooling since i live in a relatively cold climate and i think air cooling will suffice 🤔

For 4K gaming you would recommend a different GPU with more vram?

Yeah i think the PSU is about to hit the retirement years, but i really can't remember when i put together this build the first time.

It's as old as when the Intel 4790K came out, and i've added or replaced a few parts to keep up with time.

28 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

But yes i expect to game in 4K or if the load becomes too much i will game in a different resolution. Any moniter would be an improvement of what i got currently, but i like to have options. 

So you can't afford the PC now, are going to buy it piece meal but want to get a top end machine that runs 4K?   Completely backward way of going about it, as so much can change in a year, those components may be replaced by new all over the board.  Also the way of being cash strapped but going for top end just is a bit fiscally messy IMO.   But that's your life, not mine.  

Come back when you have the money to buy the parts all told, prices will be cheaper than now anyway.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx : AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

- Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

- MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Your 2070S will be good enough for something like Sleeping dogs at 4k, GTA 5, maybe Witcher 3. New Cyberpunk, Starfield and so on? naah...

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

Setup: Zowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro - Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's - 

Current build on PCPartPicker

I have to point out since i'm kinda being called out that if it seem strange with the time period of buying part, then it is because i am self employed and have to be smart with my money regardless if i can afford the build now or later.

I am asking for advice since it has been a couple of years the last time i put a pc together, and the need for a new one starts to become obvious since the CPU can't really keep up with the work load anymore.

If i can reuse some older parts then that's great and also finacially the smartest move (yes i am aware some of the hardware can bottleneck the rest but that can be fixed later).

Just now, WerkWurk said:

I have to point out since i'm kinda being called out that if it seem strange with the time period of buying part, then it is because i am self employed and have to be smart with my money regardless if i can afford the build now or later.

I don't know if your country works the same way, but one other thing to be aware of (if you buy the parts at different times), is that retailers often offer you the best service (immediate replacement or RMA) within the first 30 days and can make life very difficult if there is any physical damage and you don't report this within a few days of receiving the items. Buying with buyer protection (e.g. Paypal) can address some of the risk, but it's still preferable to assemble soon after delivery.

5 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Your 2070S will be good enough for something like Sleeping dogs at 4k, GTA 5, maybe Witcher 3. New Cyberpunk, Starfield and so on? naah...

Fair point.

But i'm flexible when it comes resolution since i am used to 1080 and a 400 dollar monitor. 4K will have it's moments 🙂

20 minutes ago, WerkWurk said:

Yes. But it's the one part that could be added later.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I don't know if your country works the same way, but one other thing to be aware of (if you buy the parts at different times), is that retailers often offer you the best service (immediate replacement or RMA) within the first 30 days and can make life very difficult if there is any physical damage and you don't report this within a few days of receiving the items. Buying with buyer protection (e.g. Paypal) can address some of the risk, but it's still preferable to assemble soon after delivery.

It's about the same in my country since EU pretty much decides the laws on that behalf.
We have like a 1 year warranty on whatever you buy, but tech stuff that is broken needs to be returned to the retailer asap, with enough proof that you're not the one responsible for the damage on their product and the packaking has to be better than how you received it in the first place.

1 minute ago, WerkWurk said:

Fair point.

But i'm flexible when it comes resolution since i am used to 1080 and a 400 dollar monitor. 4K will have it's moments 🙂

try this build 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  (3190.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (883.00kr @ Føniks Computer) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (1498.00kr @ Alternate) 
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  (7299.00kr @ Proshop) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  (664.00kr @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 1050 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (1168.00kr @ Alternate) 
Total: 14702.00kr
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-03 17:46 CEST+0200

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list: 

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)