Running a dedicated Folding system on SMP Slot only? Check out Linux!

Couple of options. First, I have some basic instructions on burning an ISO, boot, wiping the hard drive and installing a custom Linux install that just sits there and folds. Pretty easy. And you only need like a 10GB drive (good luck finding one that small) and a GB of ram....

Wait you say, I want to keep Windows! Well, I also have worked out how to install VMPlayer 3.0.0 (Only version left that allows 8 cores) and run a Linux VM that will fold.

Benefit you ask?

Folding under Linux will get a bit better PPD then folding under Windows using the v7 client. But either way, this is only for "dedicated" folding systems. One you wipe and run Linux, the other is running Windows but the Linux VM sucks up resources. Of course, you can alsways go in and pause folding...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Oracle's VirtualBox will host up to 16 cores, and is super easy to set up. You can also set the linux box to use less than 100% so it doesn't lock up the system so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Running F@H in Linux is most certainly the way to go. I used to get around 8000-9000 PPD in Windows and now I get upwards of 11000 PPD running the same CPU in a Linux VM. I run VMware Worksation 9 and limit my CPU usage to 97% and enable Turbo via throttlestop. My CPU is a 45 Watt 3630QM and enabling turbo can cause it to use upwards of 50 watts! I really helps performance. I also like the fact that I can pause the VM and not lose any work at all if I need my CPU back for a couple hours.

Yep - can make a big difference... to bad it didn't do GPU as well - just take Windows right out of the equation :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99