6800 XT Artifacting

sl0011

I bought this GPU used a few months ago. I was able to test it at the time of the purchase, a quick run of Heaven and all seemed to be ok. I had been running the card just fine for at least 1 month (it passed several stress test like 3 Dmarks Time spy and ran 3A games just fine), but now, it has started to artifact really bad. I have wiped the drivers using AMD cleanup utility and also used DDU in the past, when I swapped out my 3060.

I think this could be related to VRAM according to what I can read online. I have discarded a cable problem because the issue happens with both of my monitors, using HDMI or DP.

I have experienced similar issues in the past with my RX 570, and I was able to fix it by finding a good, stable driver. Idk if that's the case here, I might do a clean install of window 10, just in case.

This is really sad, I guess, I won't be buying used ever again.

Is there anything that can be done to save this card or solve this issue, I would appreciate the advice. 

Yeah that does look like a unstable VRAM artifacting. Have you tried downclocking the VRAM? 

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yeah that does look like a unstable VRAM artifacting. Have you tried downclocking the VRAM? 

I don't see the option to downclock the ram within amd radeon or msi afterburner, it doesn't go lower than 2000. Is there any other way to do it?

8 minutes ago, sl0011 said:

I don't see the option to downclock the ram within amd radeon or msi afterburner, it doesn't go lower than 2000. Is there any other way to do it?

You'll have to do it with MPT then. 

You'll have to extract the GPU BIOS file with GPU-Z then load it into MPT. 

After you'll get all kinds of settings to tweak like SOC, VRAM voltages and clocks, etc... 

Default memory speed is 1000MHz (2000MHz reported in AMD software is the effective speed because Double Data Rate so x2). 

Change the memory speed in MPT to 975MHz and save settings by clicking Write SPPT and you'll need to restart PC for changes to apply. 

(You can also try changing the Memory Timings value from 1 to 0 which should result in very loose timings). 

These settings don't actually overwrite the cards BIOS and any changes you make in MPT will disappear once you reinstall drivers.

Just don't increase voltages and you can't brick the card. 

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You'll have to do it with MPT then. 

You'll have to extract the GPU BIOS file with GPU-Z then load it into MPT. 

After you'll get all kinds of settings to tweak like SOC, VRAM voltages and clocks, etc... 

Default memory speed is 1000MHz (2000MHz reported in AMD software is the effective speed because Double Data Rate so x2). 

Change the memory speed in MPT to 975MHz and save settings by clicking Write SPPT and you'll need to restart PC for changes to apply. 

(You can also try changing the Memory Timings value from 1 to 0 which should result in very loose timings). 

These settings don't actually overwrite the cards BIOS and any changes you make in MPT will disappear once you reinstall drivers.

Just don't increase voltages and you can't brick the card. 

image.png.787de376c53a44138f1e0c2c8e7ed791.pngimage.png.232ce7436845b41b20cd91e9868bd0d0.png

Like this? I'm not sure what is the setting for the memory timing, the only one that I see is called memory timing control.

6 minutes ago, sl0011 said:

image.png.787de376c53a44138f1e0c2c8e7ed791.pngimage.png.232ce7436845b41b20cd91e9868bd0d0.png

Like this? I'm not sure what is the setting for the memory timing, the only one that I see is called memory timing control.

Yes the memory timing control. 

But change memory clock to 975 not 1075

Edit: 

Ah I missed that DPM3 is 975MHz, should be fine then

39 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes the memory timing control. 

But change memory clock to 975 not 1075

Edit: 

Ah I missed that DPM3 is 975MHz, should be fine then

It was worth the try, I still get the artifacts on timespy. I checked with Afterburner and the memory is supposed to be running at 1900 (950). I guess I will just install my 3060 again and feel sad that I got scammed.

19 minutes ago, sl0011 said:

It was worth the try, I still get the artifacts on timespy. I checked with Afterburner and the memory is supposed to be running at 1900 (950). I guess I will just install my 3060 again and feel sad that I got scammed.

That sucks 😞

I've also got my 6800 XT 2nd hand and was worried I'll get scammed. Card has the worst coil whine I've ever heard but it otherwise works fine so far (since May).