Windows 10 Pro : Permissions not applying in shared folders

Lord Szechenyi

I set specific permissions in my shared folders (mainly that it is read only) yet anyone on the network is able to write and modify the shared folders.

How to fix?

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I set specific permissions in my shared folders (mainly that it is read only) yet anyone on the network is able to write and modify the shared folders.

How to fix?

shared folders have 2 settings and the most restrictive rules.  on the share itself, and security settings. check out both. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

shared folders have 2 settings and the most restrictive rules.  on the share itself, and security settings. check out both. 

I did, in fact I cut the access to the folder entirely (not shared anymore) and yet it still shows up and anyone can edit it...

5 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I did, in fact I cut the access to the folder entirely (not shared anymore) and yet it still shows up and anyone can edit it...

it will take some time ... a reboot might solve it faster. 

50 minutes ago, Robchil said:

it will take some time ... a reboot might solve it faster. 

Did a reboot and that folder is still accessible to all...

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Did a reboot and that folder is still accessible to all...

so if you in explorer type in \\computername\ you should be able to see the shares.. can you see that folder there? 

Just now, Robchil said:

so if you in explorer type in \\computername\ you should be able to see the shares.. can you see that folder there? 

Nvm a 2nd reboot fixed it

Ok now I have a final problem, I'm unable to customize permissions, I made a folder with only read access (and it works), however when I want to add specific computers to have the permission to write Win10 doesn't recognize any of the names (despite them being on the network).

What do?

12 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Nvm after 15 minutes the folder reappears with the same problem

(and yes I can see the folder when I type that in file explorer)

As a solution I fixed it by making it shared but only for admin, so that's good enough for now

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Nvm after 15 minutes the folder reappears with the same problem

(and yes I can see the folder when I type that in file explorer)

welcome to SMB nightmare 😄 ... 3.1.1 for win11.. 

what systems are the others that are trying to access it? 

back to the access from other system.. it won't work. 

as long as no of the computers are not in a domain, you don't have access to other systems local user database. they are each their on security entity. first when they are joined to a domain where you have a domain administrator right you can access each local user database and add them to a share. 

you will need to use a user from the local database on the system sharing files 

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

back to the access from other system.. it won't work. 

as long as no of the computers are not in a domain, you don't have access to other systems local user database. they are each their on security entity. first when they are joined to a domain where you have a domain administrator right you can access each local user database and add them to a share. 

you will need to use a user from the local database on the system sharing files 

What?

I didn't understand anything about this...

Except maybe the "you can access each local user database and add them to a share.", how do I do that?

what systems are the others that are trying to access it?

All windows 10s, most are home edition with 1 being a pro edition.

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

What?

I didn't understand anything about this...

Except maybe the "you can access each local user database and add them to a share.", how do I do that?

All windows 10s, most are home edition with 1 being a pro edition.

hehe.  not sure if it's a limiting factor that it's home versions tho. but you can try. 

if you create a local user on the system having the shares.. pro system .. preferably..  and add that user to share and securty and give those rights .. and remember to set a password for that user, you can remove the box for ask to reset password at first login. 

you can try typing in \\username@computername\share  and it should only come with a password popup since you already added the user name. 

and you can check the box for remember password.. 

6 minutes ago, Robchil said:

If you create a local user on the system having the shares.. pro system .. preferably..  and add that user to share and securty and give those rights .. and remember to set a password for that user, you can remove the box for ask to reset password at first login. 

you can try typing in \\username@computername\share  and it should only come with a password popup since you already added the user name. 

and you can check the box for remember password.. 

But that's not what I want to do, what I want is for the users of the network to access all the folders that are shared, but that they can only write+modify the folders which are designated to them, all of this without them inputting a password.

That's possible, right?

6 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

But that's not what I want to do, what I want is for the users of the network to access all the folders that are shared, but that they can only write+modify the folders which are designated to them, all of this without them inputting a password.

That's possible, right?

not without starting a full domain. 

Edit: oh and those home versions won't work either for that.. 

11 minutes ago, Robchil said:

not without starting a full domain. 

edit : ah it wont work with Home, i see....

23 minutes ago, Robchil said:

if you create a local user on the system having the shares.. pro system .. preferably..  and add that user to share and securty and give those rights .. and remember to set a password for that user, you can remove the box for ask to reset password at first login. 

How do I do this?

3 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

How do I do that?

you will need a windows server with domain controller services installed. 

you can try to add one local user pr computer  on the sharing computer that are going to access it and share each user with a $ (hidden) share and give each user full rights inside that share.

and after typing password click on save password. 

you basicaly want your windows pro computer to run as a filesharing server. 

you can try to add one local user pr computer  on the sharing computer that are going to access it and share each user with a $ (hidden) share and give each user full rights inside that share.

Wait I thought you said this doesn't work with Home

or are you talking about the 2nd option?

I didn't find anything, is this a microsoft app or is it third party?

how do I do $?

cause I did that and it didn't change anything, still same problem

8 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Wait I thought you said this doesn't work with Home

or are you talking about the 2nd option?

I didn't find anything, is this a microsoft app or is it third party?

how do I do $?

cause I did that and it didn't change anything, still same problem

1  first on the pro computer you go in local users. and create as many users as there is computers you want to add. 

2  you create folders for each user. and when creating the share at the share name instead of typing user  you type user$ and it will be hidden.. to the share you can add everyone, but security add the user as read write.. not full right.  do this for each user. 

3 on each computer. you add shared drive  under \\username@computername\username$  type in the password and check the save password box. 

1  first on the pro computer you go in local users. and create as many users as there is computers you want to add. 

Done

2  you create folders for each user. and when creating the share at the share name instead of typing user  you type user$ and it will be hidden.. to the share you can add everyone, but security add the user as read write.. not full right.  do this for each user. 

Done

3 on each computer. you add shared drive  under \\username@computername\username$  type in the password and check the save password box. 

image.png.a12860c9b0cfb63e355dbefa39a18397.png

and I didn't get a password or any box

7 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Done

Done

image.png.a12860c9b0cfb63e355dbefa39a18397.png

and I didn't get a password or any box

was afraid of that.. probably because it's home editions.. 

was afraid of that.. probably because it's home editions.. 

Both computers I'm doing it on are Pros.

The host is pro and the user/guest/trying to access is also Pro

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

Both computers I'm doing it on are Pros.

The host is pro and the user/guest/trying to access is also Pro

ok.. 

try using the IP adress instead of hostname 

3 minutes ago, Robchil said:

ok.. 

try using the IP adress instead of hostname 

makes no difference I also get "no items match your search"

9 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

makes no difference I also get "no items match your search"

so if you use the host ipadress like this \\192.168.0.3\user$  nothing comes up? just change the ip to the correct host ip for where the shares are

and change user$ to a share name you actually have 

Ok so I still haven't found a solution, is it really that complicated?

All I want, is for (since you said the no password solution needs a domain and I can't have that):

- Everyone to have the "everyone" rights (which is read)

- Make some folders writable only by local users (that other people can remotely log in to with credentials to access it)

(I tried the Map Network Drive as shown here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-how-to-access-a-file-share-as-a/00c69511-e02a-41bc-9759-60cece3fdca3 but it didn't work as it doesn't let me map the drive because it says "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password error")

That's it, I'm not trying to do anything else, how is it so complicated, that LTT video about turning Windows into a server was mega BS

3 minutes ago, Robchil said:

so if you use the host ipadress like this \\192.168.0.3\user$  nothing comes up? just change the ip to the correct host ip for where the shares are

nothing

doesn't matter if it's the correct IP or not.