Why consoles are a good thing.

ramzorz

So, recently, I saw a

of Linus comparing Xbox 360 graphics versus PC graphics on Battlefield 3. I later then went to find out that an Xbox only costs about $300 US and $350 for a bigger hard drive and it comes with TWO free games, controller, etc. And that's pretty damn cheap. Even PS3's are cheaper than getting a PC at $250.

My point is that consoles are good for people who want to play video games, but can't fork over the money for a computer. You can't even build a PC for $350 that plays games that look like Xbox 360 graphics. And if you can, PLEASE link me to that because I am genuinely interested (Keyboard, mouse and shipping included. You don't need to pay shipping fees to pick up a 360 at Wal Mart). Do you really think grandma is going to buy little Jake a $700 gaming rig for Christmas? Consoles are a good choice. The real reason why I made this is because most PC gamers think that consoles are generally garbage regardless of how much they cost.

I can't be the only one that agrees, can I?

You are right, but almost exclusively just after the console comes out, this is when the company that makes the console is actually subsidizing the console. But now, at the end of its life cycle, and even years ago, a PC is a much better deal. You can look at Logan's $350 Gaming build for more info.

The other reason that consoles aren't that cheap is Games and Steam. Games on Xbox are $60 (yes, there are a few exceptions). These games on PC are cheaper within a month of two and have free update support. Also we have things like the humble bundle.

Also there's the multitude of other things that the PC can do, but that might not fit within what you were talking about.

Thank you for the build link. I'm eager to see what's in the build. And I can see what you mean about the Steam games. I don't buy from steam often. In the end, each platform will have it's own exclusives, but I you have a more than fair point, PC often has a lot of value when it comes to game choice. Somewhat random side note: I can't stand Minecraft on the 360. It's seriously one of the most horrid things I've ever played.

Lol, I don't own a console myself, but one thing that is good is just being able to sit down with a couple of friends and just play some good old fashioned split screen.

You are right' date=' but almost exclusively just after the console comes out, this is when the company that makes the console is actually subsidizing the console. But now, at the end of its life cycle, and even years ago, a PC is a much better deal. You can look at Logan's $350 Gaming build for more info. The other reason that consoles aren't that cheap is Games and Steam. Games on Xbox are $60 (yes, there are a few exceptions). These games on PC are cheaper within a month of two and have free update support. Also we have things like the humble bundle. Also there's the multitude of other things that the PC can do, but that might not fit within what you were talking about.

Unfortunately that doesn't include a keyboard or mouse or operating system, all of which a console has (keyboard mouse = controller), just sayin'.

Unfortunately that doesn't include a keyboard or mouse or operating system' date=' all of which a console has (keyboard mouse = controller), just sayin'. [/quote']

But the console player would realistically have gotten both a computer (with the keyboard, mouse, and operating system) plus the console. So it's not cheaper, just saying'.

Unfortunately that doesn't include a keyboard or mouse or operating system' date=' all of which a console has (keyboard mouse = controller), just sayin'. [/quote'] But the console player would realistically have gotten both a computer (with the keyboard, mouse, and operating system) plus the console. So it's not cheaper, just saying'.

I would agree, and add that you get a much better value getting at least a similarly priced (which will inherently be better performing) gaming computer versus a console and a lesser quality computer.

But the console player would realistically have gotten both a computer (with the keyboard' date=' mouse, and operating system) plus the console. So it's not cheaper, just saying'.[/quote']

Not exactly. I personally know many, many, many people who own just a laptop and no desktop. Plus, all of those components can't be bought locally. Shipping costs would be a large factor that most people seem to just ignore.

I agree with you 100% that consoles are a great option for those who want to play games but don't have the money for a computer. In saying that, a budget gaming computer can cost only $500, and would last much longer than a console and would be more powerful. Just saying that investing in a PC may be a better deal at the end of the day.

I agree with you 100% that consoles are a great option for those who want to play games but don't have the money for a computer. In saying that, a budget gaming computer can cost only $500, and would last much longer than a console and would be more powerful. Just saying that investing in a PC may be a better deal at the end of the day.
My xbox has lasted nearly 7 years I cant really see a $500 pc still playing every pc game released in 7 years time

I would like to add another benefits of consoles.

Different experience.

I never understood the PC vs Console, or Console A vs Console B war going on.

We have 3 main gaming console on the market and the PC. All market their own groups of people. This targeted audience sometimes can change between console to console from the same manufacture. Gaming consoles are essentially toys.. fancy toys, but not the less a toy. And am I am not saying this in a bad way. By "toy" I mean a something you can play with and provide you with hours on end of entertainment. Console manufacture like to differentiate themselves. Some by staying traditional, others via software and others with features or way you play a game that is different from the rest. That simple.

Consoles and PC should be compliments, not at war against each other.

Here is an example. I am a hard core gamer. I love playing games on my PC. I love cashing out money for my computer, I am having a blast opening my computer and changing stuff inside or build an entire computer. I buy fancy displays to experience the full work of art by the graphic artist, I buy fancy sound cards to get the best sound experience I could have, and so on and so forth. Yet, I also bought a Wii... and I don't mean.. "I bought a Wii for xyz". NO. I bought a Wii, for me. Technically speaking, this is complexly contradictory. I am passing from a rich gaming experience, down to a 480p, no AA support console, with limited buttons controls, and lets not even talk about the rest. Why did I get the Wii? Because while I enjoy a lot my PC, I sometimes like to experience something different. Something that I simply cannot get on my PC. In this case, while the XBox 360 and PS3 had its unique features, I just, personally, preferred the Wii. The controls are unique, and the way you play games are unique (not to mention the fact that Nintendo biggest strength is having third party developer and themselves have a strong library of exclusive multilayer games on the same console, making it great for when you have friends or family over).

Can I point in shoot like I can on the the Wii, on a PC? No. Yea the graphics of the Wii sucks, but I didn't buy it for the graphics.. I have a PC for that.

If you guys never experience this, try and get your hands on Call of Duty Black Ops 2, for the WiiU, and set to use the Wii controller. Or on a Wii, look at Metroid Prime 3. Pointing directly at your target and shooting beats mouse and keyboard any day now, as soon as you get used to it.

And of course, you have the exclusive games that each console offers that also defines itself, and you can pick a console that compliment your gaming experience based on that too.

In other words, all consoles are really good. If you are looking for graphics on a console and base you judgement on "this has better graphics therefor, it is automatically better/hard core/ wtv you want", than in my opinion, this is wrong. As the PC will always be better, and the obvious choice.

So console are a good thing, as they can provide you something that you can't get from the PC, beside exclusive games, whether is allowing you watch movies on your TV that streams from your network, or different control or software features, etc.

Consoles are good because i can sit with 7 friends and my 2 xbox's and play halo or any other multiplayer game with them in the room, wihtout them all having to bring over their pc's and only being able to talk to them with a mic

My xbox has lasted nearly 7 years I cant really see a $500 pc still playing every pc game released in 7 years time

Yet an Xbox 7 years old can't exactly play the latest new release game. Keep in mind that consoles are often several generations behind a PC.

Actually, you can just by slightly older parts for the same price and still have as good or better graphics. Consoles are made for people who play games very casually and don't do it often. However, they have become places where the stupid people of the world congregate. Please don't be offended. I am actually playing Xbox 360 right now.

I would like to add another benefits of consoles.

Different experience.

I never understood the PC vs Console, or Console A vs Console B war going on.

We have 3 main gaming console on the market and the PC. All market their own groups of people. This targeted audience sometimes can change between console to console from the same manufacture. Gaming consoles are essentially toys.. fancy toys, but not the less a toy. And am I am not saying this in a bad way. By "toy" I mean a something you can play with and provide you with hours on end of entertainment. Console manufacture like to differentiate themselves. Some by staying traditional, others via software and others with features or way you play a game that is different from the rest. That simple.

Consoles and PC should be compliments, not at war against each other.

Here is an example. I am a hard core gamer. I love playing games on my PC. I love cashing out money for my computer, I am having a blast opening my computer and changing stuff inside or build an entire computer. I buy fancy displays to experience the full work of art by the graphic artist, I buy fancy sound cards to get the best sound experience I could have, and so on and so forth. Yet, I also bought a Wii... and I don't mean.. "I bought a Wii for xyz". NO. I bought a Wii, for me. Technically speaking, this is complexly contradictory. I am passing from a rich gaming experience, down to a 480p, no AA support console, with limited buttons controls, and lets not even talk about the rest. Why did I get the Wii? Because while I enjoy a lot my PC, I sometimes like to experience something different. Something that I simply cannot get on my PC. In this case, while the XBox 360 and PS3 had its unique features, I just, personally, preferred the Wii. The controls are unique, and the way you play games are unique (not to mention the fact that Nintendo biggest strength is having third party developer and themselves have a strong library of exclusive multilayer games on the same console, making it great for when you have friends or family over).

Can I point in shoot like I can on the the Wii, on a PC? No. Yea the graphics of the Wii sucks, but I didn't buy it for the graphics.. I have a PC for that.

If you guys never experience this, try and get your hands on Call of Duty Black Ops 2, for the WiiU, and set to use the Wii controller. Or on a Wii, look at Metroid Prime 3. Pointing directly at your target and shooting beats mouse and keyboard any day now, as soon as you get used to it.

And of course, you have the exclusive games that each console offers that also defines itself, and you can pick a console that compliment your gaming experience based on that too.

In other words, all consoles are really good. If you are looking for graphics on a console and base you judgement on "this has better graphics therefor, it is automatically better/hard core/ wtv you want", than in my opinion, this is wrong. As the PC will always be better, and the obvious choice.

So console are a good thing, as they can provide you something that you can't get from the PC, beside exclusive games, whether is allowing you watch movies on your TV that streams from your network, or different control or software features, etc.

I completely agree. And as silly as it sounds, Wii's are probably the best choice for PC gamers just because 360, PS3 and PC usually have the same games where as Wii gets exclusive content. I myself don't have interest in the Wii, but I can see why someone would want one as a PC gamer.

Actually' date=' you can just by slightly older parts for the same price and still have as good or better graphics. Consoles are made for people who play games very casually and don't do it often. However, they have become places where the stupid people of the world congregate. Please don't be offended. I am actually playing Xbox 360 right now.[/quote']

That's a little unfair, no? I know various amounts of people that are much more into gaming than I am and they own consoles. Just recently, I'm seeing everyone get into PC gaming.

Consoles keep the children out of my PC games. ;)

No but seriously, there will always be a place for consoles for casual / party games, and the low price point to play current gen games.

• Graphite 600T White
  • P8Z77-V Pro
  • H70 cooled i5 3570k - 4.8ghz
  • Palit GTX660ti Jetstream - 2GB
  • 16GB Corsair PC3 - 1600MHz
  • Intel 120GB SSD
  • 1TB + 500GB HDD
  • Corsair CX 750w 80+ Bronze
  • Logitech G9x <3
  • Logitech G19 - Never worked properly
  • A place to store one DVD or CD - I'm yet to find a use for it
  • Many fans - Coolermaster and Corsair
  • Minuscule amount of dust - To be removed

Unfortunately that doesn't include a keyboard or mouse or operating system' date=' all of which a console has (keyboard mouse = controller), just sayin'. [/quote']

I'm just kidding...

post-934-13667861161416_thumb.jpg

True, it's good for people who dont want to fork over $ for high end gaming.... and kitten.. yeah they help keep kids out of pc games. but..... at what cost? PC games are for the most part stopped cold right now from advancing, for example: BF3- the console can only run this at 30fps with 32 player maximum servers. And the COD series (gross) has been using the same gfx engine for a decade, JUST so that consoles can handle it.. Yeah there'js a new gen of consoles coming out, yeah it's gonna be slightly better than the current in terms of gfx power.. but.. no.. the 8-thread PS3 processor right now, will have more compute power, even though the generic-equivilent 8600GT used in the PS3 will not be as capable as the next gen consoles with AMD APU. And even on that scale, the APU's are very very low on the ladder, in fact, at the bottom, in terms of gaming pc. So we still are gonna be held back from game development even with this next gen console series.

ACTUALLY, if you look at the specs of current consoles and next gen on paper... the PS3 and Xbox360 will perform ... pretty much as well. In fact, the PS3 might even have better performance than the xbox720.. The name xbox "720" seems real misleading when you look at what's in it actually. I think the only real addition will be features, like 3D capability, rather than performance, when you look at what's going into these next gens.. Put simply, if i was building a PC, i'd rather take the parts, purely for performance reasons, out of the PS3 than the xbox720.. if they were compatible.

Console, with friends.

PC, alooone, with friends over internet

:)

PC, LAN party! Yes, we still have those.

"No signature"