Possible GPU upgrade ?

Mikey89
4 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

asus is fine but usually bit more pricier.

MSI usually doesnt have any big issues and their coolers are decent as long as you dont get the bad mech versions

Gigabyte is fine but their fans can in some cards and coolers have this annoying issue where they ramp up for a few sec even if temps are fine.

Personally i would go with msi or zotac is fine too. But it seems the other cards in regards to 3070 pricing are pretty high still. compared to the link one i showed. so.. there is that too. 

@hollyh88

To be honest i'd usually always go for ASUS - never had any issues with them in the past except for this one which i noticed 2 days ago.

I heard on MSI's VENTUS models that the fans are kinda low quality and don't last long.

And i kinda wanna stay away from GIGABYTE.

I'm leaning towards ASUS but that topic i made about my current GPU's fan is making me doubt them.

51 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

To be honest i'd usually always go for ASUS - never had any issues with them in the past except for this one which i noticed 2 days ago.

I heard on MSI's VENTUS models that the fans are kinda low quality and don't last long.

And i kinda wanna stay away from GIGABYTE.

I'm leaning towards ASUS but that topic i made about my current GPU's fan is making me doubt them.

asus is good just usually more expensive

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

2 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

well yes for now, but even now its already clear 8gb is not going to be enough in the bigger titles soon. Which you also want to play of course. So while it may perform well now it isnt going to perform well in the long run. and of course if you have no problems turning settings down in those games to medium or using higher upscaling yea it probably wont be an issue. but would you really want to spend 380 bucks to do that? in my opinion its a bit of a waste of money.

Yes dlss is superior to fsr. But its not as bad as it seems when both are properly implemented. I used fsr when i still had a 2070s without any issues. yes not as good but not as bad as a lot of people said it was. And now with a 6950xt i dont really miss dlss at all.

Now your choices are to me simple,

either go with a 3070. have dlss, have that nvidia premium feeling. and have reflex. in the supported titles... and have better raytracing. But only have 8gb of vram which is 100% going to cause issues and already is causing issues in some games. (especially with raytracing) And you do not get the newest features like framegen.

or buy a 4070 so you do get the newest feature like framegen. and have 12gb but you do need to spend 550 dollaroos on that. 

OR get a second hand 3080 which will have a bit more vram and a decent bump in performance over the 3070. 

OR get a 6750xt for less money than a 3070 while having more performance or equal. and 12gb but worse raytracing perf in heavier titles (not easy ones). and sacrifice the mwah better quality of dlss for a still okay fsr. But get the nice feature of fsr3 in the future and antilag+ in the future. 

or get a 7700xt for a bit more perf than a 3070 and have 12gb and have av1 and have access to antilag+ now and probably a bit better fsr frame gen perf or quality. but it does cost you about 70 bucks more than a 3070 new.

all in all its your choice and your money. so choose well else you will have to upgrade at some point again soon.

Why the 6700XT and not the 6800xt?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

There are several other brands to choose from, you know, not just those 3.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

10 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

There are several other brands to choose from, you know, not just those 3.

@RevGAM

Aren't those 3 the best ones ?

If you can name a few more i'd appreciate it - over the years i kinda stayed away from GAINWARD and PALIT because they seem to be worse in terms of quality.

@hollyh88

@filpo

I forgot to mention 1 more GPU.

What about the RTX 4060 ?

Would that cause any bottleneck with my current RYZEN 5 3600 ?

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

What about the RTX 4060 ?

No way jose

Would that cause any bottleneck with my current RYZEN 5 3600 ?

no but it's worse than the 3060 ti for a bit less and sometimes the 3060 12gb for more

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

6 minutes ago, filpo said:

No way jose

no but it's worse than the 3060 ti for a bit less and sometimes the 3060 12gb for more

@filpo

Sorry i mistyped - i meant to say the RTX 4060 Ti not the regular version.

Isn't the 4060 Ti a bit better than the 3060 Ti in terms of performance ?

Just now, Mikey89 said:

If you REALLY need the dlss frame gen and the lower power consumption for 40 bucks more then sure. You can get it, but at this point I'd also consider a used 3070 ti ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti OC 8GB Graphics Card - Barely Used 192876948699 | eBay

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Why the 6700XT and not the 6800xt?

price range he said

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

@filpo

Sorry i mistyped - i meant to say the RTX 4060 Ti not the regular version.

oh god no. you will be buying something for 380+ that is slower than a 3070.

the only redeeming thing about it is framegen. which is simply not worth it. and if you get the 16gb version it is way overpriced. and at that point your better off getting the 7800xt which shits on the 4060ti royally. hell even the 7700xt is better value.

and your 3600 will basically be a bottleneck for anything you will be buying. its always going to limit the perf to some decree. but thats fine as you can always slap in a 5800x3d at some point

PC: 

2 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

oh god no. you will be buying something for 380+ that is slower than a 3070.

the only redeeming thing about it is framegen. which is simply not worth it. and if you get the 16gb version it is way overpriced. and at that point your better off getting the 7800xt which shits on the 4060ti royally. hell even the 7700xt is better value.

and your 3600 will basically be a bottleneck for anything you will be buying. its always going to limit the perf to some decree. but thats fine as you can always slap in a 5800x3d at some point

@hollyh88

But would the RYZEN 5 3600 + RTX 4060 Ti combo cause any bottlenecking ?

3 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Aren't those 3 the best ones ?

If you can name a few more i'd appreciate it - over the years i kinda stayed away from GAINWARD and PALIT because they seem to be worse in terms of quality.

Sapphire, PowerColor, Zotac, XFX, AMD, NVidia, and Asrock.  Keep in mind that no brand has a monopoly on great products, and even bad brands occasionally produce something good.

Of course, EVGA for prior cards - they left the GC business.

2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

But would the RYZEN 5 3600 + RTX 4060 Ti combo cause any bottlenecking ?

Don't waste money buying the 4060 Ti.

@hollyh88

@RevGAM

I think i might actually end up getting the RTX 3060 regular mainly because of 2 reasons:

1) 12 GB VRAM

2) DLSS

7 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

@RevGAM

I think i might actually end up getting the RTX 3060 regular mainly because of 2 reasons:

1) 12 GB VRAM

2) DLSS

It's your money. But that's only an increase in perf of about 44% if I remember it correctly. The lowest price on I could see was about 290 bucks. 

In my opinion it's not worth it to upgrade if it isn't at least double in %. (Via techpowerup) So in your case that's a 6750xt/3070/2080ti/4060ti 8gb. But the main issue for you is that nvidias overings there are a second hand 2080ti but it does have 11gb or 2 8gb cards. As you wouldn't want an amd card. It's a hard decision. But personally as I said I would never get an upgrade that's only 44%. That isn't exactly a lot. 

PC: 

41 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

It's your money. But that's only an increase in perf of about 44% if I remember it correctly. The lowest price on I could see was about 290 bucks. 

In my opinion it's not worth it to upgrade if it isn't at least double in %. (Via techpowerup) So in your case that's a 6750xt/3070/2080ti/4060ti 8gb. But the main issue for you is that nvidias overings there are a second hand 2080ti but it does have 11gb or 2 8gb cards. As you wouldn't want an amd card. It's a hard decision. But personally as I said I would never get an upgrade that's only 44%. That isn't exactly a lot. 

@hollyh88

Oh believe me i know, I was watching comparison videos in games between my GPU and the 3060 for like the past hours. 😅

But damn... that 12 GB sure is tempting. 😁😅

Mainly because of how much VRAM some games tend to eat. 😥

BTW are the ZOTAC Twin Edge models any good ?

They seem lower priced from what I found while searching.

EDIT

After searching more about ZOTAC I found a lot of people saying they overheat quite often.

Gonna stay away from this brand.

1 hour ago, Mikey89 said:

Gigabyte has a long-standing reputation of providing poor customer service, and some of their products suck.  Otherwise, they're fine.

14 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Gigabyte has a long-standing reputation of providing poor customer service, and some of their products suck.  Otherwise, they're fine.

@RevGAM

I mean are they that bad ?

I also found a ZOTAC Twin Edge RTX 3060 but I found a lot of people saying that they overheat a lot.

4 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

Oh believe me i know, I was watching comparison videos in games between my GPU and the 3060 for like the past hours. 😅

But damn... that 12 GB sure is tempting. 😁😅

Mainly because of how much VRAM some games tend to eat. 😥

BTW are the ZOTAC Twin Edge models any good ?

They seem lower priced from what I found while searching.

EDIT

After searching more about ZOTAC I found a lot of people saying they overheat quite often.

Gonna stay away from this brand.

sorry, at work. 

You can get a 3060 12gb and upgrade in 1-2 years when nvidia actually brings out something good price and vram and perf wise. (but its nvidia lets be honest here they havent been doing that in the last 5 ish years). zotac is from my knowledge decent. gigabyte just has that annoying fan ramp up issue that can be very random in regards to which sku or even cooler model it happens with.

i personally would still rather go for a 6750xt if you look at 3070 pricing. or rather then just bite the bullet get a 4070 for the 12gb and not have to upgrade in a long as time if you absolutely want to stick with nvidia. But thats me 😉 would be a bit of a waste as you could get the 7800xt for cheaper more perf and more vram. but thats much like the 4070 just overkill for 1080p. or get a 4060ti 16gb bad priced but at least you get framegen which is cool i guess xD

but a 3060 would still be okay at 1080p just dont expect amazing performance even at that resolution with max settings. cause its more of a 60-80 fps 1080p ultra card in the big titles.

PC: 

2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

I mean are they that bad ?

I also found a ZOTAC Twin Edge RTX 3060 but I found a lot of people saying that they overheat a lot.

Let's just say that you should check reviews and hope you never need support...Then again Asus now has bad support, too.

15 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

sorry, at work. 

You can get a 3060 12gb and upgrade in 1-2 years when nvidia actually brings out something good price and vram and perf wise. (but its nvidia lets be honest here they havent been doing that in the last 5 ish years). zotac is from my knowledge decent. gigabyte just has that annoying fan ramp up issue that can be very random in regards to which sku or even cooler model it happens with.

i personally would still rather go for a 6750xt if you look at 3070 pricing. or rather then just bite the bullet get a 4070 for the 12gb and not have to upgrade in a long as time if you absolutely want to stick with nvidia. But thats me 😉 would be a bit of a waste as you could get the 7800xt for cheaper more perf and more vram. but thats much like the 4070 just overkill for 1080p. or get a 4060ti 16gb bad priced but at least you get framegen which is cool i guess xD

but a 3060 would still be okay at 1080p just dont expect amazing performance even at that resolution with max settings. cause its more of a 60-80 fps 1080p ultra card in the big titles.

@hollyh88

To be honest im not going for 144 FPS gaming - for me anything between 60-100 FPS is good, i believe PC gaming is always good if you're staying above the golden "60 FPS".

BTW between ASUS, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC which brand should i go for ?

I heard ZOTAC cards overheat a lot but then again GIGABYTE seems to have bad customer service.

9 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Let's just say that you should check reviews and hope you never need support...Then again Asus now has bad support, too.

@RevGAM

ASUS has bad support ? I didn't knew that, i thought they were among the more reputable brands.

So between GIGABYTE and ZOTAC which do you think is better ?

I really don't have anything against ZOTAC but i read when googling that those cards tend to overheat a lot and that they have high idle temps.

I even found a topic on this forum when searching in which someone said they had issues with ZOTAC.

9 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

To be honest im not going for 144 FPS gaming - for me anything between 60-100 FPS is good, i believe PC gaming is always good if you're staying above the golden "60 FPS".

Not really golden. It's more like the minimum at which you may not notice the problems unless you've stepped down from, say, 144 FPS. Increased FPS benefits average players and pros alike. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

ASUS has bad support ? I didn't knew that, i thought they were among the more reputable brands.

So between GIGABYTE and ZOTAC which do you think is better ?

I really don't have anything against ZOTAC but i read when googling that those cards tend to overheat a lot and that they have high idle temps.

I even found a topic on this forum when searching in which someone said they had issues with ZOTAC.

As I said, look at reviews of products you are considering. There are many good choices from many companies... and crap,  too.