Need advice about monitors

Adam1984

Hi, Im gaming on a 3090ti i7 2700kf, we have an LG 55 inch 4k tv as a monitor. The PC is in the bedroom so we can also stream tv shows at night and its great with it being such a big screen. I do play a lot of driving sims, and its awesome for that and very immersive. I also play fifa with a controller and can sit back, thats great too. 

However, I also love FPS games like doom and other modern titles, but when playing these its obviously not long before my eyes cant take anymore. Its too strenuous and clearly not doing me any good.

I am thinking about maybe going to a 27inch 1440p monitor, I do love the idea of freesync/g sync and also having smoother gameplay as 4k can be a bit sub 60 at times... plus with a 55 inch tv you can see all the edges.

So my question is, what should I do? I dont want to comprimise my driving sim experience too much but at the same time I want to sit and play my pc properly from time to time.

I was thinking maybe a 27 inch 1440p plus speakers and we could still stream tv... but there are also ultrawides too...

Budget is probably around 350-400

Well, you don't need to sell the TV right? You just need to buy a monitor and a desk (if you haven't already).

You just need to treat it like having 2 different displays or multi monitors, switching between monitors is quite easy nowadays, with DP connection, the PC will automatically detect if one of the displays is off, so it is as simple as turning off the one not being used.

The usual go to for 1440p 27" monitors is Gigabyte M27Q or the newer variants, can't go wrong with it.

Ultrawide is good too, good ones are expensive.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Well, you don't need to sell the TV right? You just need to buy a monitor and a desk (if you haven't already).

You just need to treat it like having 2 different displays or multi monitors, switching between monitors is quite easy nowadays, with DP connection, the PC will automatically detect if one of the displays is off, so it is as simple as turning off the one not being used.

The usual go got for 1440p 27" monitors is Gigabyte M27Q or the newer variants.

We are using the dresser as a desk, which works great, however it cant fit anything else on there as the tv takes up most of it. I think my girlfriend wants the LG downstairs so it would have a place still. Thanks I'll check that one out

What is the lighting like in the room in question? I would recommend the Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx for $230 (assuming you are in the US) While it may be lacking the "Subwoofer" and/or  USB hub on some of the previously mentioned displays, this display has both better or equivalent colours, and better or equivalent HDR support. If your room is bright with a notable amount of glare, it may be worth considering the version of the display with Advanced Reflectionless Technology, which utilizes an additional layer in the display to cut down the glare by as much as 30%.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What is the lighting like in the room in question? I would recommend the Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx for $230 (assuming you are in the US) While it may be lacking the "Subwoofer" and/or  USB hub on some of the previously mentioned displays, this display has both better or equivalent colours, and better or equivalent HDR support. If your room is bright with a notable amount of glare, it may be worth considering the version of the display with Advanced Reflectionless Technology, which utilizes an additional layer in the display to cut down the glare by as much as 30%.

Hi, the room is actually quite dark as its facing the north. I am in the uk but thats well within my budget, thanks I was thinking about hdr, it seems like thats something I'll be downgrading on but gaining in image sharpness. Always has to be a comprimise in pc gaming lol.

Just checked it out, that looks like an awesome monitor! Why is it so much cheaper than the others?

23 hours ago, Adam1984 said:

Hi, the room is actually quite dark as its facing the north. I am in the uk but thats well within my budget, thanks I was thinking about hdr, it seems like thats something I'll be downgrading on but gaining in image sharpness. Always has to be a comprimise in pc gaming lol.

Just checked it out, that looks like an awesome monitor! Why is it so much cheaper than the others?

Volume. The display hits a sweet sweet spot for many users in price, image quality, and features, while being colour calibrated from the factory allowing it to be used for professional artwork in a nonHDR environment. That and this a part of a line of value monitors known for consistently providing value, performance, and quality. Or basically Acer locked down this performance level with quality and value years ago, making it up in volume and hasn't let go. Also you don't get that extra speaker, USB hub, or other gimmicks.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!