AC-AC relay for automated loadshedding switching

Spikkel

Hi,

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to electronics.

Here is the situation. We have severe load shedding in South Africa, which means that the power grid switches completely off for 2-4 hours, 2-6 times per day.

I have a 2kW pure sinewave inverter trolley system as backup power. It's not big, but good enough for critical appliances.

Appliance A and appliance B can't run at the same time or else the inverted will overload. And people keep forgetting to manually plug A back into the grid when the grid is on. B is almost constantly running and always on the inverter.

My plan is to build a changeover switch. The switch needs to operate as follows:

- During load shedding, the operator needs to push a button to switch appliance A over to the inverter (Double pole double throw)

- When load shedding ends and the grid gets energized, the swithc needs to automatically switch back to the grid.

Any sugesttions? I was thinking of using an AC-AC relay but can't find a relay with an AC coil in my area. Only DC coils. Unless I'm searching for the wrong name.

EDIT: The grid is 230VAC, Max load expected on the switch will be 2000W or 8-10 amps.

Edited by Spikkel
More info

• 3 weeks later...

The Finder 58.32.8.230.0060 Industrial relay has a coil voltage of 230V AC and can switch 250V at 10A on 2 sets of contacts. I can´t guarantee that it is available to you, but it´s what i could find.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

- Instead of a relay consider a contactor.

- Don't recommend it but technically you could use one contactor for the condition it's grid powered and use a switch as overwrite/bypass.

- If you can't get the 220V version get a 10W din-rail mounted 24V PSU and 24V contactor.

- for the automatic switching from grid to onsite. Buy a premade part and don't buy the china version.

Like always: Hire an electrician for the work and planning.

People never go out of business.