pc build checklist

tdkid

i know i am a complete ID-10-T for asking but what are the very minimum parts you need for a PC build? i am asking because i am double checking to make sure i have everything before i upgrade my pc. i have the CPU, motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, case, fans, PSU, GPU and storage but am i missing anything?

my current build

CPU: intel i7 8700k

motherboard: MSI z370 gaming plus

GPU: EVGA 2070 super FTW3 ultra+

RAM. corsair vengence RGB 32GB

storage. samsung 970 evo plus 500g for OS, 2TB external

CPU cooler: cheap prebuilt CPU cooler (i know, but i dont OC)

case: corsair obsidian 1000D super tower

fans: corsair QL 120s and 140s

PSU: EVGA supernova 1000G+

the new build

CPU: AMD ryzen 9 7950x3d

motherboard: ASUS ROG strix b650e-f gaming wifi

RAM. Gskill flareX5 64GB

CPU cooler: icue link h170i RGB

Storage? SSD/HDD?

Technically, case or case fans is not really essential, you could run a PC without those.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

10 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i know i am a complete ID-10-T for asking but what are the very minimum parts you need for a PC build? i am asking because i am double checking to make sure i have everything before i upgrade my pc. i have the CPU, motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, case, fans, PSU, and GPU but am i missing anything?

Storage?

what are the very minimum parts you need for a PC build? 

i have the CPU, motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, case, fans, PSU, and GPU

The case is actually optional, but usually a good choice to include. 

The only thing missing from this list is storage, include an SSD

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can also go to sites like pcpartpicker.com or Newegg, even microcenter has their own PC builder. Those websites will have tools to where you can just put in your parts whether or not you have them yet.

LTT also has a video titled "How to build a PC, The last guide you will ever need" if you want to make sure that you have everything.

Good luck and have fun!

Screenshot_20230911-195055.png

how is the case and fans

14 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Storage? SSD/HDD?

Technically, case or case fans is not really essential, you could run a PC without those.

ok you have to be joking. i know people joke about their cases being cardboard or they dont need any fans but i think those are kind of two things you have to have to keep the PC cool unless you are keeping it in a refrigerator or freezer. 

15 minutes ago, JDB said:

Storage?

edited first post

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The case is actually optional, but usually a good choice to include. 

The only thing missing from this list is storage, include an SSD

edited first post

1 minute ago, Cringe_Master245 said:

You can also go to sites like pcpartpicker.com or Newegg, even microcenter has their own PC builder. Those websites will have tools to where you can just put in your parts whether or not you have them yet.

LTT also has a video titled "How to build a PC, The last guide you will ever need" if you want to make sure that you have everything.

Good luck and have fun!

Screenshot_20230911-195055.png

well thanks. i will look into those but this is not my first PC build. i was just kind of drawing a blank within the last few hours and wanted to make sure i had everything. just kind of a brain fart moment.

34 minutes ago, tdkid said:

RAM. Gskill flareX5 64GB

Unless your new GPU is going to be a 4090 and you intend to do productivity workload with a CPU, this is way too overkill.

And games still in HDD when you have 7950X3D, come on now...

And no, I mean like test bench style PCs or open air mounted PCs (like in a desk or on the wall. It's completely normal and cool.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

5 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Unless your new GPU is going to be a 4090 and you intend to do productivity workload with a CPU, this is way too overkill.

And games still in HDD when you have 7950X3D, come on now...

And no, I mean like test bench style PCs or open air mounted PCs (like in a desk or on the wall. It's completely normal and cool.

well let me tell you a little story to give context. back on Jan 1st this year. i restarted my PC for an update and the internal hard drive failed. i asked around to everyone and every place i knew for a solution to the FLTMGR.SYS error that the blue screen of death was giving me but no one not even people who worked on PCs or in cyber security could give me an answer. so i just bought a cheap M.2 and hope that was it and it was. so with that and knowing that i have lost all my internal storage. i havent redownloaded anything other than the few cosmetic things i i had like corsairs icue and a few very low performance games just to keep me entertained while i got the money together for some upgrades. i do plan on switching from the external to another M.2 since i have 3 slots on this board but those will come later. i was just wondering if i needed anything else as a base line to get it up and running. 

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

the new build

RAM. Gskill flareX5 64GB

If i remember correctly, youre british right? Whats your budget?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryBella said:

If i remember correctly, youre british right? Whats your budget?

no i am not and i think you might have the wrong topic. i am just trying to make sure i have everything i need to upgrade my PC. i have the parts i am going to be upgrading but just trying to make sure i have everything

5 hours ago, tdkid said:

i know i am a complete ID-10-T for asking but what are the very minimum parts you need for a PC build? i am asking because i am double checking to make sure i have everything before i upgrade my pc. i have the CPU, motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, case, fans, PSU, GPU and storage but am i missing anything?

my current build

CPU: intel i7 8700k

motherboard: MSI z370 gaming plus

RAM. corsair vengence RGB 32GB

CPU cooler: cheap prebuilt CPU cooler (i know, but i dont OC)

the new build

RAM. Gskill flareX5 64GB

What will be the primary uses of your new PC and if it includes gaming what is your resolution?

36 minutes ago, tdkid said:

no i am not and i think you might have the wrong topic. i am just trying to make sure i have everything i need to upgrade my PC. i have the parts i am going to be upgrading but just trying to make sure i have everything

Oh, you got everything already. Then really that should be all, besides the lax internal drive you have which will be a problem eventually. But yeah, i trust you that youll get around to it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 hours ago, Why_Me said:

What will be the primary uses of your new PC and if it includes gaming what is your resolution?

gaming and browsing the internet. current resolution is 1080p non HDR because i am using a 43" TV as my monitor. yes i know, but my PC is in my bedroom so i am limited on space and i am looking at getting a new display soon.

7 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Oh, you got everything already. Then really that should be all, besides the lax internal drive you have which will be a problem eventually. But yeah, i trust you that youll get around to it.

well i think so which is why i made this post. in my first one i posted the current build and what i will be changing. i just wanted to make sure i actually had everything so i can do the parts swap.

15 hours ago, tdkid said:

but am i missing anything?

An o/s 😉.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

40 minutes ago, brob said:

An o/s 😉.

well the OS is a duh because you will either have windows 10 as most do now or 11 which still has some issues if i am right so i will be sticking with my current OS.

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

well the OS is a duh because you will either have windows 10 as most do now or 11 which still has some issues if i am right so i will be sticking with my current OS.

So was a case 🙂.

Windows 10 or 11 are not the only o/s options. As to issues, all o/s have issues. It's the nature of such complex software.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

26 minutes ago, brob said:

So was a case 🙂.

Windows 10 or 11 are not the only o/s options. As to issues, all o/s have issues. It's the nature of such complex software.

true and i know they are not the only OS, there is apple if i wanted, linux and others but windows 11 came our and they have had some major issues causing blue screens and then them going "sorry, not our problem" as far as i know so for now i will just be keeping my current window 10 OS and just uploading it onto the new system specs to be replaced later