Weirdly high 7800x3D temperatures & performance

Hello there,

As the title says - my (relatively) brand new 7800x3D currently never reaches no less than 49-50c when "idle".

When under full 100% load with e.g. Prime95 or Cinebench - the temps easily reach upwards of 89c (and are never lower than 83c), which is then when my CPU starts to thermal throttle.
Gaming sees temps of the high 70s, also.

Here is some info and/or steps I have taken to try and rectify this problem:

1. I have reseated the AIO cooler's block many times, as well as even going as far as trying a completely different make and model of AIO. Still, the results listed above have been consistent throughout.
  2. When installing my cooler, I remove pre-applied thermal paste, and apply my own bit of MX-4, applied consistently as a thin layer via a spatula to cover all parts of the IHS.
  3. I have reset my CMOS and updated my BIOS to the newest version.
  4. I have used the Windows MCT to make a fresh Windows 11 installer to then install Windows 11 fresh on the system after every couple of tries with my cooler etc. I would also then after OS & (chipset & graphics) driver installation then install my 4-5 most commonly used apps*.
  5. After every re-seat of the pump block etc., I would clean both the IHS and the pump block with 70% Pure Rubbing IPA, which I would then (after cleaning) let dry fully for 10 minutes in a low-minimum dust environment.
  6. The wattage used when under full load also does not seem right. I am using only around 65-ish watts or so when running a Cinebench R23 Multi-Core test(*2).

If anybody could please provide any advice whatsoever on how to diagnose all of this further/rectify the issues - I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot.

*: In my circumstance, I'm defining IDLE/my most commonly used apps as only having Discord open (in the background, not in a call etc.), Fan Control open (in the background), and HWiNFO open (again, in the background).

*2: My average Cinebench Multi-Core score is around 17200 or below. Never higher, unless it's an anomalous result - and even then it would only be higher by ~100pts.

Build Parts: 7800x3D, MSI Suprim X 4080, Ripjaws S5 32GB RAM (2x16gb @ 6000mhz w/ EXPO)

(In-Depth) Build List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SyndicateBear/saved/#view=XLWdqs

Most recent CPU-Z "Validation": https://valid.x86.fr/4c2xbe

FS Developer @ T.V. - MS Divison.

32 minutes ago, cookernetes said:

Hello there,

As the title says - my (relatively) brand new 7800x3D currently never reaches no less than 49-50c when "idle".

When under full 100% load with e.g. Prime95 or Cinebench - the temps easily reach upwards of 89c (and are never lower than 83c), which is then when my CPU starts to thermal throttle.
Gaming sees temps of the high 70s, also.

Here is some info and/or steps I have taken to try and rectify this problem:

1. I have reseated the AIO cooler's block many times, as well as even going as far as trying a completely different make and model of AIO. Still, the results listed above have been consistent throughout.
  2. When installing my cooler, I remove pre-applied thermal paste, and apply my own bit of MX-4, applied consistently as a thin layer via a spatula to cover all parts of the IHS.
  3. I have reset my CMOS and updated my BIOS to the newest version.
  4. I have used the Windows MCT to make a fresh Windows 11 installer to then install Windows 11 fresh on the system after every couple of tries with my cooler etc. I would also then after OS & (chipset & graphics) driver installation then install my 4-5 most commonly used apps*.
  5. After every re-seat of the pump block etc., I would clean both the IHS and the pump block with 70% Pure Rubbing IPA, which I would then (after cleaning) let dry fully for 10 minutes in a low-minimum dust environment.
  6. The wattage used when under full load also does not seem right. I am using only around 65-ish watts or so when running a Cinebench R23 Multi-Core test(*2).

If anybody could please provide any advice whatsoever on how to diagnose all of this further/rectify the issues - I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot.

*: In my circumstance, I'm defining IDLE/my most commonly used apps as only having Discord open (in the background, not in a call etc.), Fan Control open (in the background), and HWiNFO open (again, in the background).

*2: My average Cinebench Multi-Core score is around 17200 or below. Never higher, unless it's an anomalous result - and even then it would only be higher by ~100pts.

Build Parts: 7800x3D, MSI Suprim X 4080, Ripjaws S5 32GB RAM (2x16gb @ 6000mhz w/ EXPO)

(In-Depth) Build List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SyndicateBear/saved/#view=XLWdqs

Most recent CPU-Z "Validation": https://valid.x86.fr/4c2xbe

FS Developer @ T.V. - MS Divison.

This is totally normal AM5 behaviour.  They are designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c before anything else. Check these 2 videos out.  You can't compare these CPU's to any other CPU's on the market in terms of temperature, AM5 7000 series are totally different.  My 7700x hits 84c while gaming even at 24% load and this is completely normal as its keeping the boost clock at max.

Absolutely nothing to worry about 🙂

29 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

This is totally normal AM5 behaviour.  They are designed to hit a thermal limit of 95c before anything else. Check these 2 videos out.  You can't compare these CPU's to any other CPU's on the market in terms of temperature, AM5 7000 series are totally different.  My 7700x hits 84c while gaming even at 24% load and this is completely normal as its keeping the boost clock at max.

Absolutely nothing to worry about 🙂

That is so interesting. I didn't actually realize that before buying - I guess I was just blind-sighted by the stupidly amazing game benchmarks (beating the 13900k by a 5 ish % amount in games at literally half the price for where I live).

I guess then the biggest issue are my fans.

I tried to configure my fans with Fan Control (as I like the interface), but got a bit lost - and I don't think I set them up as well as I could have, as I still hear the annoying ramp-up & down.

Would you or anybody else have any good guides etc on how to make a complex but functional fan profile in Fan Control for the 7800x3D to stop the constant annoying ramp ups and downs, while staying cool as a cucumber?

Thanks a lot.

4 minutes ago, cookernetes said:

That is so interesting. I didn't actually realize that before buying - I guess I was just blind-sighted by the stupidly amazing game benchmarks (beating the 13900k by a 5 ish % amount in games at literally half the price for where I live).

I guess then the biggest issue are my fans.

I tried to configure my fans with Fan Control (as I like the interface), but got a bit lost - and I don't think I set them up as well as I could have, as I still hear the annoying ramp-up & down.

Would you or anybody else have any good guides etc on how to make a complex but functional fan profile in Fan Control for the 7800x3D to stop the constant annoying ramp ups and downs, while staying cool as a cucumber?

Thanks a lot.

I run an Aircooler ( NH-D15 ) and I have my fan speed at 30% constant until 93c then 100% as from 93-95c is when you need the extra cooling. It never reaches that temp when gaming so my system is whisper quiet.  You could set your AIO pump speed to a constant 70% ( AIO pumps have less wear when set to a constant speed instead of ramping up and down )   You can set the AIO pump speed and fans in your BIOS.  Radiator fans could also be set to the highest speed possible without being intrusive in terms of sound and then set to 100% at 93c as that is when you need the extra cooling.

My 7800x3D with a simple -20 Curve Optimizer undervolt idles around 40c and peaks in Cinebench at roughly 82c. Aircooled with an Assassin IV. I think pre-undervolt it was around 85c where it peaked. System is dead silent, too.