Is the S23+ battery improved over the S22?

TheBahrbarian

I have had my S22 for a little over 12 months now and basically the battery life is awful. Definitely the worst of any phone I have owned to date. On a full charge I can barely manage 3 hours of Google Maps. And while I understand I do use my phone quite a bit, I can't even make it through a workday on a full charge. I basically get about 8 hours with regular use.

I normally keep my phones at least 3 years, however this battery isn't going to get any better and it's frankly not livable. I've read the S23 series apparently made some decent battery life improvements, and I was looking at the S23+. Does anyone have any opinion on how much of an improvement this would be? I don't wanna drop money on a new phone only to be stuck with the same issue.

I'm open to other phones but I've pretty much always owned Google or Samsung, and unfortunately the Pixel 7 doesn't seem to be known for stellar battery life itself. Other than battery life pretty much the only thing I care about is having a camera with equivalent features/quality to my S22. I've stuck with Google/Samsung until this point mostly because I like their software the best.

You got the exynos or snapdragon?

That basically gives you the answer if it's better or worse 😛

If you want amazing battery life you should shop mid range actually

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You got the exynos or snapdragon?

That basically gives you the answer if it's better or worse 😛

If you want amazing battery life you should shop mid range actually

I'm in North America so Snapdragon. 

And yeah, you're probably right about midrange. I was considering the A series from Samsung. I also briefly looked at the new Nothing (2), though i dont know if that's really midrange, but it at least had good battery life in reviews.

I've not had any issues with my S23+, had it more or less since launch.

The phone reports 2 days, 6 hours on a full charge, which seems consistent with my experience. I do typically charge it every night, but I'm regularly able to get a full day's worth of usage out of it while using it regularly throughout the day.

Overall, lack of headphone jack aside, I've been pretty happy with it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I'm in North America so Snapdragon. 

And yeah, you're probably right about midrange. I was considering the A series from Samsung. I also briefly looked at the new Nothing (2), though i dont know if that's really midrange, but it at least had good battery life in reviews.

One plus nord ce 2's and 3's in use at work. They get 3 days with ease

S23+ has snapdragon too.

If a S22 with snapdragon sucks to you as battery lasting for the day, S23+ might have a slight advantage (bit more power efficient SoC) but is under two digit increase.

Settings and user behaviors can greatly change battery duration.

I mean...

I'm inside a building 14hrs a day and outside only 2? Localitazion shut down could improve battery life. Also this apply to screen brightness... touching down a more than a notch from top setup (while not outside) can save battery too.

I don't use Bluetooth device? Bluetooth off can improve battery life

I don't use NFC for payments or data exchange three times a day? NFC off can improve battery life.

I don't need more than 1080p resolution? Allowing downsampling could improve battery life.

I really need 24/7 notifications about email? no? Switching from push to 15 min retrieve could improve battery life. Even under wifi.

There are so mani specific settings to tweak up and improve battery life from the "magical experience" that hallucinated software producers from california are trying to sell... that could lead from a 12 months phone exchange time to 30 month at least, having anyway a balance between satisfaction of use... and satisfaction of charge (cupertino not included; they need to have a crash course on "battery stamina", SERE-level).

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

When using maps, try disabling cellular data, and use only GPS.  My cellular data takes 1% every 60 seconds, and that's when the device was new.

Try reducing the number of apps installed, or change then out for opensource alternatives.  F-droid is a great resource for this.  Antennapod is great for podcasts (they removed a feature for the audio levels that I now have to go into the f-droud archive to re-install), Fennec (firefox with about:config), and Organic Maps.

Another idea is to print out your route instructions, and 100% eliminate the need for any data or gps, and have it on a piece of paper.  I always have medium power saving enabled.

Try installing (not for the web browser) duckduckgo, and in the settings, enable app-tracking protection.  It will block and list every (user-installed) app that is gathering data on you.  It does not however cover the base android operating system.

To see what is connecting everytime you enable any connectivity to a network, try rethinkDNS available in F-droid.  Pair it with NextDNS, because android prevents the owner of the device from blocking dns, without root.  NextDNS can be setup to block all android, googleapi, and samsung domains, to not only reduce needless network connections, but protect your device information from being sent to those companies.  This may also help battery life.

With RethinkDNS, you can also completely block access to all listed system apps, but it doesn't knock down everything, which is why I recommend the third party dns on top of this program.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, TheBahrbarian said:

I can't even make it through a workday on a full charge. I basically get about 8 hours with regular use.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.