QNap TS-453 Pro refuse to fully start

Ok, so here is the problem, my QNap refuse to start.

Not like it doesn't turn on, but it's stuck on System Booting in that little window that's visible on the front of the NAS.

I think it's around 8 or 9 years old, has been running around the clock since then (through I boot it once per day at around 03.00 in the morning) no problem at all. Now for some reason it's stuck in the "System Booting" with the > sign popping up from time to time so it IS doing something,  but it's been stuck like this for over 48 hours without fully booting.

Does anyone have any clue at all to what I should/could do or is it "throw away and buy a new"?

Thanks for all tips and ideas.

// Anders Q Liden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Did you checked the inner CR2032 battery voltage?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Thanks. I will test it. I got a business trip planned head over heels so that's why I haven't had time to answer/check.

// Anders Q Liden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Next: how many ram sticks does your NAS have?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

One only I think... I cannot check it in the software / OS since it refuse to boot.

But I found an HDMI connection to it so I will connect that and see what it says.

// Anders Q Liden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Only one memory stick and the HDMI refuse to show anything at all.

// Anders Q Liden

Gothenburg, Sweden

• 3 months later...

Anders,

I own the same NAS as you do, and at about the smae time as you my NAS failed the same way.

You have to search on internet for "qnap ts-453 pro stuck on system booting".

There are MANY MANY other owners affected by the same issue. This issue is due to a design flaw in the Intel® CPU used by QNAP in this model :-(.

With a bit of electronic skills, there should be a way to wake the NAS up, but how long and how reliable will it remain over time? That's still unknown, I guess.

I guess if you want to keep acces to your data, there is now much else you can do but to buy another 4 drives NAS from QNAP. I guess the TS-464 is a good replacement for the TS-453 Pro. Have a look at the reviews online. I haven't found yet a documented flaw in the Intel® Celeron® N5105 used into this model :-/.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Sincerely,

5 hours ago, emmanuha said:

Anders,

I own the same NAS as you do, and at about the smae time as you my NAS failed the same way.

You have to search on internet for "qnap ts-453 pro stuck on system booting".

There are MANY MANY other owners affected by the same issue. This issue is due to a design flaw in the Intel® CPU used by QNAP in this model :-(.

With a bit of electronic skills, there should be a way to wake the NAS up, but how long and how reliable will it remain over time? That's still unknown, I guess.

I guess if you want to keep acces to your data, there is now much else you can do but to buy another 4 drives NAS from QNAP. I guess the TS-464 is a good replacement for the TS-453 Pro. Have a look at the reviews online. I haven't found yet a documented flaw in the Intel® Celeron® N5105 used into this model :-/.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Yeah this bug sucks. Early circuit degradation causing the failure means you need to upgrade.

Qnap makes easy to use hardware just wish it was serviceable. 

The lack of serviceability on these was the main reason I was driven to do a diy solution instead.