Ryzen 3800XT, Cooler Master MA612, 60°C+ idle

Senzelian

Hey guys,

I just built a PC out of used parts for a colleague and noticed the CPU is running quite hot. The BIOS aswell as HWinfo are reporting 60°C+ at idle.

I've noticed that the CPU cooler doesn't really get all warm, but it seems to be mounted properly. It doesn't move and I've also checked that I didn't forget any plastic covers or the cooler.

Are Ryzen XT models generally quite a bit hotter than their X counterparts? Or could this just be another example of Cooler Master building crappy coolers?

image.thumb.jpeg.f699c32415a407b97294ea6b46b7546a.jpeg

From a quick read online it seems like 3800XT is a hotter Ryzen yet should still be easy to keep it around 60C on full load. Apart from mounting gone wrong, have you checked the cooler itself. Not sure which big brand it was a year or two ago but one brand had their tower coolers crack inside the pipes which then failed to spread out heat to the rest of the fins further up.

Try maybe a different cooler?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Defiantly a different cooler.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

21 hours ago, jaslion said:

They do run hotter but the ma612 also has some issues with mounting pressures

21 hours ago, venomtail said:

From a quick read online it seems like 3800XT is a hotter Ryzen yet should still be easy to keep it around 60C on full load. Apart from mounting gone wrong, have you checked the cooler itself. Not sure which big brand it was a year or two ago but one brand had their tower coolers crack inside the pipes which then failed to spread out heat to the rest of the fins further up.

Try maybe a different cooler?

12 hours ago, freeagent said:

Defiantly a different cooler.

Thanks guys. We ordered a Dark Rock 4. If that won't fix it then I don't know what will 😛