Does a wireless display like this exist?

Ace McPlane
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

A wireless display that looks like a laptop with a keyboard that lets you control your desktop computer wirelessly rather than having to own 2 devices.

The thing is, it would cost as much as a laptop due to economy of scale (smaller market, smaller amount of devices manufactured, higher costs).

Just look at the Playstation Portal, that is only able to be the price it is because they are expecting it to have a much bigger market given its really the only device of its kind for a closed ecosystem.  By using it encourage people to play on Playstation, they get more profit for game sales.

A completely open system like you'd need for a PC, they'd need a higher profit margin and I don't see how what you're asking for is really any different to a low-end laptop.

A wireless display that looks like a laptop with a keyboard that lets you control your desktop computer wirelessly rather than having to own 2 devices.

I’d just use it for watching YouTube, Netflix, etc maybe 2D stuff like point and click games. Obviously the FPS would be terrible in comparison to a wired display, but I’m able to wirelessly play VR games from my desktop. It’s a product I’ve been imagining for a while. Seems like this could exist now. Does it yet? 

Why wouldn't you just use USB or Bluetooth peripherals? Or are we talking different rooms here?

The only ways I could think of to do this today would involve using a second device.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

The thing is, it would cost as much as a laptop due to economy of scale (smaller market, smaller amount of devices manufactured, higher costs).

Just look at the Playstation Portal, that is only able to be the price it is because they are expecting it to have a much bigger market given its really the only device of its kind for a closed ecosystem.  By using it encourage people to play on Playstation, they get more profit for game sales.

A completely open system like you'd need for a PC, they'd need a higher profit margin and I don't see how what you're asking for is really any different to a low-end laptop.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Oh wow. Yea you’re right. I just looked that one up above and it’s way too expensive to justify not just buying a laptop. This won’t be a thing worth doing until this is way cheaper. That’s double what I’d pay.