HP Envy 15 (es1000ny) - Screen Won't Turn On Issue

I've been experiencing a perplexing issue with my HP Envy 15 (es1000ny) laptop, The main problem is that my laptop screen refuses to turn on.

Here are the details of the issue:

1. Flickering on Boot: Initially, when booting up, the screen would flicker briefly but then remain completely black. I used to resolve this problem by opening and closing the laptop lid multiple times, sometimes just a few times, and other times it took 15 or more attempts. However, as of yesterday, the screen has stopped displaying anything altogether.

2. Power cycling works: When I turn the laptop on and off numerous times - sometimes it will start working normally. Without touching the lid or anything. Yet after rebooting - it stops working.

3. Consistency Across Systems: The issue persists across all states, whether I'm in the BIOS, running Windows, or using Linux. It simply refuses to show any sign of life on the screen.

4. Odd Behavior: What's even more perplexing is that I noticed that, even when the laptop screen didn't work, I could boot into Windows and set up an external monitor to duplicate the displays. Surprisingly, the touchscreen remained functional, allowing me to move things around on the invisible screen.

5. Failed Display Cable Troubleshooting: I've attempted to resolve the issue by fiddling with the display cable and reconnecting it to the motherboard, but this hasn't changed anything.

Do have some kind of bright light to shine into the display? If you do this and can see stuff but it is dark, then it could be that the backlight has failed.

Just now, Nathat23 said:

Do have some kind of bright light to shine into the display? If you do this and can see stuff but it is dark, then it could be that the backlight has failed.

It's a 4k OLED display. Another weird thing. Now for some reason when booting - goes to bios with less hassle (still had to power cycle, but display works more often) yet as soon as windows takes over - display flickers (random horizontal lines, greenish color) and goes black.

7 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

It's a 4k OLED display. Another weird thing. Now for some reason when booting - goes to bios with less hassle (still had to power cycle, but display works more often) yet as soon as windows takes over - display flickers (random horizontal lines, greenish color) and goes black.

Is there some way to disable the GPU (google tells me it's a MX450)? 

Just now, Nathat23 said:

Is there some way to disable the GPU (google tells me it's a MX450)? 

I'll try that. Yes, It's a MX450. Going to try reinstalling drivers first. Also - As far as i know - it runs with the integrated gpu by default?

3 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

I'll try that. Yes, It's a MX450. Going to try reinstalling drivers first. Also - As far as i know - it runs with the integrated gpu by default?

The only reason I suggested that is because you said there's a less hassle with bios than with windows.

Just now, Nathat23 said:

The only reason I suggested that is because you said there's a less hassle with bios than with windows.

Haven't tested everything fully but after running DDU and reinstalling manufacturers drivers - stuff seems to work? What are the chances that it was a bad graphics driver? I also updated the BIOS. Was kind of hard with a black screen but seems to work? I'll let you know in a bit.

Just now, Nathat23 said:

Still seems to have the issue, but this time it took 2 times of closing and opening the lid to get to windows. Also - when booting - if i mash esc to view the boot options and then resume to windows - everything is visible including the HP boot logo. Weird behaviour.
When plugging in a display via a type C dock - it disables the second screen and doesn't allow anything to be changed display settings wise, yet on linux (elementary OS 7) i didn't have any issues connecting 2 screens via the same dock.